Official 2021 Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shimmmy

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This thread is especially important this year. It's been a relatively lax zoom interview season which I hope has helped everybody's stress levels. On the other hand, it's made ranking incredibly difficult as we are left with making important decisions based off of little information.

Hopefully most of you are done or at the finish line. As you probably know, rank lists entry began YESTERDAY. Rank lists are due in 44 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes, and 11 seconds (March 19th)

Please use this thread for advice on your rank order list (ROL). Provide your residencies of interest, what's important to you, +/- pros/cons of each. Best of Luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!

This thread is especially important this year. It's been a relatively lax zoom interview season which I hope has helped everybody's stress levels. On the other hand, it's made ranking incredibly difficult as we are left with making important decisions based off of little information.

Hopefully most of you are done or at the finish line. As you probably know, rank lists entry began YESTERDAY. Rank lists are due in 44 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes, and 11 seconds (March 19th)

Please use this thread for advice on your rank order list (ROL). Provide your residencies of interest, what's important to you, +/- pros/cons of each. Best of Luck everyone!

I'll start us off

Interests: (1) Prestige (b/c planning to go the clinical-educator route), (2) psychotherapy, (3) research, (4) proximity of sites, (5) collegiate atmosphere

1. U of Michigan: lots of opportunities in any subspecialty, clinical educator track, but felt very service oriented
2. U of Wisconsin: lots of research, awesome psychotherapy exposure, clinical educator track, but new program director rubbed me the wrong way
3. U of Cincinnati: All sites walking distance, psychotherapy emphasis, but there is no clinical educator track
4. U of Massachusetts: solid neuropsych research, residents were sweet, but no collegiate atmosphere
5. U of Virginia: great collegiate atmosphere, beautiful location, but residents work ALOT
6. Loma Linda: really nice residents, close to home, but not much research opportunities and no clinical-educator track

Welcome to all thoughts and feedback.
Perhaps I'm not quite appreciating what you mean by "collegiate atmosphere" - is it like working wit da homies collegiality, or is it more like marching across the quad surrounded by ivy-laden neo-Georgian buildings with your backpack full of Faulkner and Freud books? Because if it's the former, how are the residents sweet but not collegiate? (If it's the latter, I get you - Worcester is, well, Worcester)

I'm just a med student, but based on what you wrote and what I've heard from others further ahead of me in the past, it seems like a good order for you would be:
1. U Cinci
2. U Mass
3. U Mich
4. UVA 5. U Wisc
6. Loma Linda

Just my two cents... or really one cent, I guess.

...what you mean by "collegiate atmosphere" - is it like working wit da homies collegiality, or is it more like marching across the quad surrounded by ivy-laden neo-Georgian buildings with your backpack full of Faulkner and Freud books?
That gave me a good chuckle! Yea the former, wife and I are big college sports fans.

Yea Worcester doesn't sound like the place that I can see myself living for very long. That's just about where I'm at right now, thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
2. U of Wisconsin: lots of research, awesome psychotherapy exposure, clinical educator track, but new program director rubbed me the wrong wa
I'm curious what rubbed you the wrong way with Dr. Peterson? Happy to take it to DM's but he's really a great guy which is not something I say lightly.

1) U. Colorado- good psychotherapy training, great location, solid reputation (might be a workhorse, but improving?)
2) UPMC- unbeatable reputation, psychotherapy opportunities (medicine/biologic heavy, workhorse, meh city)
3) UT-Austin- chill program, research opportunities abundant, great city (training might be meh compared to #1/#2)
4) Vermont- cool town, incredibly friendly (how is training? potential difficulty getting West Coast Fellowship @ top program)
5) Maine- Same as Vermont
6) UT-Houston (research)- Solid training with time for research (workhorse, no name as far a prestige, Baylor competition)
7) Dartmouth- solid training, fellowship opportunities (middle of no where, call sucks, cold, desolate, no inovoluntary

I think this makes sense (interested in QOL (hiking, food, friendly people) and training (research, breadth, fellowship potential). I want to eventually end up on the West Coast, but not sure if any of these programs need to be higher/lower to help me get there.

Last edited:
1) U. Colorado- good psychotherapy training, great location, solid reputation (might be a workhorse, but improving?)
2) UPMC- unbeatable reputation, psychotherapy opportunities (medicine/biologic heavy, workhorse, meh city)
3) UT-Austin- chill program, research opportunities abundant, great city (training might be meh compared to #1/#2)
4) Vermont- cool town, incredibly friendly (how is training? potential difficulty getting West Coast Fellowship @ top program)
6) UT-Houston (research)- Solid training with time for research (workhorse, no name as far a prestige, Baylor competition)
7) Dartmouth- solid training, fellowship opportunities (middle of no where, call sucks, cold, desolate, no inovoluntary

I think this makes sense (interested in QOL (hiking, food, friendly people) and training (research, breadth, fellowship potential). I want to eventually end up on the West Coast, but not sure if any of these programs need to be higher/lower to help me get there.

I can understand your top 3, but Maine/Vermont over Dartmouth? I chose a lesser program for personal reasons over prestige, so no judgement. A friend of mine chose Dartmouth and now lives out west. He really enjoyed it. That’s my limited $0.02

If you can handle living in Pitt, there's a pretty large gap between UPMC and Denver's training in my mind. Denver has the sparkling city that everyone (myself included) would love to live in, but unless you place a big value on that I would really consider shooting for the stars with UPMC. I still have never met a psychiatrist who trained there that was not excellent, the sheer scope and magnitude of their program is really astronomic. I saw this as someone with no ties to the program whatsoever and turned down a job there due to my wife's job being much better elsewhere.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for this help. There are a few programs I'm still struggling between and I'd love some additional perspective. Interested in medical education (future academic leadership?), psychosis, emergency psych, C&A?, social justice/public health. I definitely care about prestige for future academia, but also value lifestyle and want to have a family. No strong location preference aside from considering cost of living.

1. UNC-loved the curriculum, the track opportunities, and the leadership. Residents were not very diverse, but leadership were which helps. Residents seemed quite happy and location/COL seems ideal. Fairly strong fellowship match. Good moonlighting opportunities
2. BIDMC-very cool PGY3 selectives, loved the PD, obviously great research opportunities in Harvard system (and to be honest it would feel nice to have the Harvard rep). Liked the well-balanced curriculum with strong therapy/community/emergency exposure. Cool city but honestly location a mild negative with the ridiculous COL. Excellent fellowship match. Okay moonlighting opportunities but worried about COL
3. Emory-heard very mixed opinions on resident happiness, but residents and faculty I met seemed very cool, great training opportunities inpatient/emergency. Liked their social justice vibe and formal curriculum. A little concerned about their home call controversy and slow-to-change call schedule (although it finally changed for the better at the VA). Good location/COL. Fairly strong fellowship match. Didn't hear much about moonlighting (and relatively busier schedule so likely less time/desire to do it) but sounds possible
4. Zucker Hillside/Hofstra-inspiring PD who seems like he would be a great mentor for my interests, chair also fits me very well, lots of opportunity and flexibility with curriculum and specialized clinics. Decent location and great benefits (including wildly subsidized housing) make quality of life good. Moderately worried about academic prestige, but the fellowship match looks solid (and would likely have time/opportunity to get more research done here to boost my personal rep even if program rep is lesser). Moonlighting seems strong

Thank you!

I'm curious what rubbed you the wrong way with Dr. Peterson? Happy to take it to DM's but he's really a great guy which is not something I say lightly.

Glad to hear you say this. He seemed almost shy during my interview but still came across very genuine and kind. Was really nice in all post-IV communication as well. I’m ranking UWisc #1 and am super excited about it, seems like an absolute gem of a program!

Glad to hear you say this. He seemed almost shy during my interview but still came across very genuine and kind. Was really nice in all post-IV communication as well. I’m ranking UWisc #1 and am super excited about it, seems like an absolute gem of a program!
If you felt good about it otherwise, you are going to love it. Dr. Peterson is a very genuine and kind guy, you can tell he has a PhD in contrast to Art (last PD) who you can definitely tell is a psychiatrist, but I say those things in the best ways possible.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks so much for this help. There are a few programs I'm still struggling between and I'd love some additional perspective. Interested in medical education (future academic leadership?), psychosis, emergency psych, C&A?, social justice/public health. I definitely care about prestige for future academia, but also value lifestyle and want to have a family. No strong location preference aside from considering cost of living.

1. UNC-loved the curriculum, the track opportunities, and the leadership. Residents were not very diverse, but leadership were which helps. Residents seemed quite happy and location/COL seems ideal. Fairly strong fellowship match. Good moonlighting opportunities
2. BIDMC-very cool PGY3 selectives, loved the PD, obviously great research opportunities in Harvard system (and to be honest it would feel nice to have the Harvard rep). Liked the well-balanced curriculum with strong therapy/community/emergency exposure. Cool city but honestly location a mild negative with the ridiculous COL. Excellent fellowship match. Okay moonlighting opportunities but worried about COL
3. Emory-heard very mixed opinions on resident happiness, but residents and faculty I met seemed very cool, great training opportunities inpatient/emergency. Liked their social justice vibe and formal curriculum. A little concerned about their home call controversy and slow-to-change call schedule (although it finally changed for the better at the VA). Good location/COL. Fairly strong fellowship match. Didn't hear much about moonlighting (and relatively busier schedule so likely less time/desire to do it) but sounds possible
4. Zucker Hillside/Hofstra-inspiring PD who seems like he would be a great mentor for my interests, chair also fits me very well, lots of opportunity and flexibility with curriculum and specialized clinics. Decent location and great benefits (including wildly subsidized housing) make quality of life good. Moderately worried about academic prestige, but the fellowship match looks solid (and would likely have time/opportunity to get more research done here to boost my personal rep even if program rep is lesser). Moonlighting seems strong

Thank you!

Curious why UNC over BIDMC, and also curious what others think of the relative reputation of either? UNC is ranked higher on Doximity, but Harvard is Harvard. Thoughts??

Curious why UNC over BIDMC, and also curious what others think of the relative reputation of either? UNC is ranked higher on Doximity, but Harvard is Harvard. Thoughts??
Struggling with this myself and have both quite close. UNC has better location and vibe, BIDMC I think does have somewhat better reputation (Harvard affiliation, better med student pedigree and fellowship match which are relative indicators). I've heard the BIDMC Doximity ranking is artificially low due to the way Doximity handled the Longwood breakup (I bet it would be around 15 if it were more accurate, not that Doximity matters much)

I'm not sure I would consider doximity rankings as more than a rough sketch of general current perceptions about prestige.

I'll note for BI that I rotated with their consult service and found the faculty to be delightful, and excellent teachers. The residents were nice. They also rotate with my institution and I've had positive experiences with their interns. Don't think too hard about cost of living, you only get to do residency once and I can assure you that you can line comfortably on a resident salary (BI's intern salary is double the city's median income). Focus on the training experience you want.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Struggling with this myself and have both quite close. UNC has better location and vibe, BIDMC I think does have somewhat better reputation (Harvard affiliation, better med student pedigree and fellowship match which are relative indicators). I've heard the BIDMC Doximity ranking is artificially low due to the way Doximity handled the Longwood breakup (I bet it would be around 15 if it were more accurate, not that Doximity matters much)
I'm struggling too with BIDMC, UNC, as well as Northwestern. BIDMC and Northwestern seem to both have much tougher call schedules + much harsher weather of course than UNC. UNC residents really seemed happiest, but my friends outside medicine have never even heard of it (compare to Harvard...) A plus for Northwestern is Chicago, one of the biggest cities in country but with a surprisingly great COL and probably much more to do than Boston or Triangle. All three cultures seemed great on interview day (besides some talk of residents recently leaving Northwestern... seemed personal reasons, but not sure?)

Last edited:
Here's my list. PLEASE HELP IM SO CONFUSED! I definitely would like to keep the NY programs at the top of the list.

Internal Medicine
1) NYU Winthrop
2) Zucker SOM Northwell
3) NYPQ
4) NUMC
5) Icahn Mount Sinai Elmhurst
6) Rutgers Newark Beth Israel
7) Atlantic Health Overlook - NJ
8) Mercy Catholic Medical Center - PA
9) LewisGale Medical Center - VA
10) HCA Mercer University Trident Medical Center - SC
11) USF Citrus Memorial
12) USF Trinity
13) Campbell University Cape Fear Valley
14) Detroit Medical Huron Valley-Sinai
15) Los Robles Health System - CA
16) Henry Ford Macomb - MI
17) Broward Health Medical Center - FL

I'm not sure I would consider doximity rankings as more than a rough sketch of general current perceptions about prestige.

I'll note for BI that I rotated with their consult service and found the faculty to be delightful, and excellent teachers. The residents were nice. They also rotate with my institution and I've had positive experiences with their interns. Don't think too hard about cost of living, you only get to do residency once and I can assure you that you can line comfortably on a resident salary (BI's intern salary is double the city's median income). Focus on the training experience you want.
The cost of living factor is one of those things that's only the person making the rank list can know how important it is for them and how much it will impact their quality of life. There are residencies where the salary let's you get by fine... with roommates and a careful budget.... and residencies where the salary lets you comfortably rent a nice one bedroom with in unit laundry and various other amenities. I have no regrets factoring that into my rank lost. The impact on quality of life is meaningful to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my list. PLEASE HELP IM SO CONFUSED! I definitely would like to keep the NY programs at the top of the list.

Internal Medicine
1) NYU Winthrop
2) Zucker SOM Northwell
3) NYPQ
4) NUMC
5) Icahn Mount Sinai Elmhurst
6) Rutgers Newark Beth Israel
7) Atlantic Health Overlook - NJ
8) Mercy Catholic Medical Center - PA
9) LewisGale Medical Center - VA
10) HCA Mercer University Trident Medical Center - SC
11) USF Citrus Memorial
12) USF Trinity
13) Campbell University Cape Fear Valley
14) Detroit Medical Huron Valley-Sinai
15) Los Robles Health System - CA
16) Henry Ford Macomb - MI
17) Broward Health Medical Center - FL
I think this is a ROL for Psychiatry folks?

Reactions: 1 users
i got a simple a vs b for you guys. baylor vs unc. no preference on location. i don't mind heavier call (baylor more call but nothing crazy). biggest priority is breadth of clinical exposure and they both seem really excellent in that regard with huge variety in training sites/opportunities. possible CAP interest so unc > baylor probably. leadership pro for both programs, really loved pd/apd at both.

If you felt good about it otherwise, you are going to love it. Dr. Peterson is a very genuine and kind guy, you can tell he has a PhD in contrast to Art (last PD) who you can definitely tell was a psychiatrist, but I say those things in the best ways possible.
Know them both pretty well. Art is one of my all-time favorite people to hang out with, and Peterson is a genuinely good person and caring educator. Plus Madison is a great place to live and work.

i got a simple a vs b for you guys. baylor vs unc. no preference on location. i don't mind heavier call (baylor more call but nothing crazy). biggest priority is breadth of clinical exposure and they both seem really excellent in that regard with huge variety in training sites/opportunities. possible CAP interest so unc > baylor probably. leadership pro for both programs, really loved pd/apd at both.
Chapel Hill or Houston? That's your real question.

Anyone else not feeling safe about the number of interviews they have?

Can anyone give any opinion on UCLA vs Columbia psych programs?

Something to think about is that Baylor has the Menninger Clinic associated with it and residents rotate through there. No idea how strong UNC is for outpatient training or psychotherapy, but the Menninger name does still carry some weight in the midwest (though I'm not sure about current training).

I am struggling to decide between Mount Sinai Morningside/West and UC Davis.

MS-MSW: Have always wanted to live in NYC, have a good number of friends there, the pandemic has dropped rental prices in Manhattan somewhat + have the option of subsidized housing, many opportunities to pursue my non-medicine interests, but everyone else I've asked seems to believe that the program is not as prestigious as UC Davis as it's still technically a community program (unclear on what this means on a practical level).

UC Davis: have lots of friends who live in Sacramento, know that it's considered more prestigious between the two (again I'm not sure why. Is it just NIH funding? It seems like MSW has plenty of opportunities for research--and a more interesting spread of labs than Davis--if residents are motivated to pursue it, and Mt. Sinai itself has more NIH funding than Davis), would be able to purchase a home with my spouse, but Sacramento itself is uninspiring and I feel like NYC would provide far more diverse psychopathology.

I grew up in California and went to med school there, so I feel like by training in NYC I'd be able to pick which coast I want to practice in after. Intensity of training is not a big issue for me as I have somewhat drank the kool-aid re: more call and night-float being more educational. While I am interested in academics and teaching, I'm not necessarily trying to make a career as a physician-scientist and run a research lab or anything--how much should program prestige matter for someone like me? But then again I'm a DO and could use some prestige, haha. I also really liked the PDs and the resident vibes at both, though I much prefer the seemingly faster pace of NYC.

Any insights appreciated :)

I'm still having the hardest time choosing between Cleveland Clinic, OSU, and Case Western for my #1 spot. I liked these three programs above others like Baylor or U Mich. I'm interested in neuropsych but I'm getting conflicting reports about the education at the Cleveland Clinic, and people keep saying OSU is better than all three as an overall program, but their neuropsych is kind of meh. Any insight would be helpful here. I've asked this before in a main thread but I'm hoping to hear from more people to help with this decision

I am struggling to decide between Mount Sinai Morningside/West and UC Davis.

MS-MSW: Have always wanted to live in NYC, have a good number of friends there, the pandemic has dropped rental prices in Manhattan somewhat + have the option of subsidized housing, many opportunities to pursue my non-medicine interests, but everyone else I've asked seems to believe that the program is not as prestigious as UC Davis as it's still technically a community program (unclear on what this means on a practical level).

UC Davis: have lots of friends who live in Sacramento, know that it's considered more prestigious between the two (again I'm not sure why. Is it just NIH funding? It seems like MSW has plenty of opportunities for research--and a more interesting spread of labs than Davis--if residents are motivated to pursue it, and Mt. Sinai itself has more NIH funding than Davis), would be able to purchase a home with my spouse, but Sacramento itself is uninspiring and I feel like NYC would provide far more diverse psychopathology.

I grew up in California and went to med school there, so I feel like by training in NYC I'd be able to pick which coast I want to practice in after. Intensity of training is not a big issue for me as I have somewhat drank the kool-aid re: more call and night-float being more educational. While I am interested in academics and teaching, I'm not necessarily trying to make a career as a physician-scientist and run a research lab or anything--how much should program prestige matter for someone like me? But then again I'm a DO and could use some prestige, haha. I also really liked the PDs and the resident vibes at both, though I much prefer the seemingly faster pace of NYC.

Any insights appreciated :)

I interviewed at both and ended up ranking Davis ahead. As someone who is half way through residency I can tell you more call and night float aren't necessary to be a good psychiatrist. It's just more work, that's it. Davis has the quality of life down.

With Davis you have the best moonlighting options I've ever heard about. You'll likely be able to buy a house and sell it for nice profit or rent it out when residency ends and you get out of Sac because I agree, it's a pretty lame place to live. That said you're 90 min from Sf and a drive to national parks, Napa, etc. NYC is amazing and it'd be cool to live there when you have money and not overworked. Otherwise you're just stuck in your little studio apt surrounded by concrete. Im clearly biased but I say go Davis.

I'm still having the hardest time choosing between Cleveland Clinic, OSU, and Case Western for my #1 spot. I liked these three programs above others like Baylor or U Mich. I'm interested in neuropsych but I'm getting conflicting reports about the education at the Cleveland Clinic, and people keep saying OSU is better than all three as an overall program, but their neuropsych is kind of meh. Any insight would be helpful here. I've asked this before in a main thread but I'm hoping to hear from more people to help with this decision
Depends what you mean by neuropsych. Jim Leverenz is at Cleveland Clinic, he is a behavioral neurologist and outstanding educator. Not sure how much opportunity you would have to work with him. OSU does have a neuropsychiatry fellowship. Case I've not really heard of any strength in neuropsychiatry. That said, at this point I would focus on going wherever will give you the strongest broad based training in psychiatry as well as the opportunity to cultivate your interests. Baylor has historically had very good strength in neuropsychiatry for their general psychiatry residency program but that may be less true without Arciniegas. Michigan is considered a solid program but has no strength in neuropsychiatry at all.

Love threads like this...let it be known which residency has the chillest call schedule and earliest opportunities for moonlighting!

I can understand your top 3, but Maine/Vermont over Dartmouth? I chose a lesser program for personal reasons over prestige, so no judgement. A friend of mine chose Dartmouth and now lives out west. He really enjoyed it. That’s my limited $0.02
Makes sense, and I also ended up changing UPMC to #1

If you can handle living in Pitt, there's a pretty large gap between UPMC and Denver's training in my mind. Denver has the sparkling city that everyone (myself included) would love to live in, but unless you place a big value on that I would really consider shooting for the stars with UPMC. I still have never met a psychiatrist who trained there that was not excellent, the sheer scope and magnitude of their program is really astronomic. I saw this as someone with no ties to the program whatsoever and turned down a job there due to my wife's job being much better elsewhere.
I ended up ranking UPMC #1 :)

Anyone have thoughts about U. Washington-Seattle vs Cleveland Clinic vs U. Minnesota?

Not sure about the reputation of each in psychiatry, insight on anything for each would be really appreciated.

Anyone have thoughts about U. Washington-Seattle vs Cleveland Clinic vs U. Minnesota?

Not sure about the reputation of each in psychiatry, insight on anything for each would be really appreciated.
You'll get fine training at each of them. It's all about where you want to live and your feelings about the cultural vibe of each program.

You'll get fine training at each of them. It's all about where you want to live and your feelings about the cultural vibe of each program.
No doubt about that. I think the curriculum at each seems excellent. I have a lot of conflicted feelings about how to rank, and was hoping to get some impressions from anyone familiar with them to see if I could get some insight into attitudes, strengths, intensity, etc.

Thoughts on UPenn vs Columbia? Primarily interested in community, consults, and addiction. Both seem like well-rounded programs with good community care, but UPenn seems to have the edge with respect to quality of life and resident happiness, while Columbia seems to have a little more prestige associated with the department.

Thoughts on UPenn vs Columbia? Primarily interested in community, consults, and addiction. Both seem like well-rounded programs with good community care, but UPenn seems to have the edge with respect to quality of life and resident happiness, while Columbia seems to have a little more prestige associated with the department.

If thats true its a non-significant distinction. Both are very very prestigious.

Quality of life >>>>>>>>> prestige

With the two programs you listed the prestige difference is minimal. You'll get great jobs no matter what b/c the market is so incredibly in favour of psychiatrists. Choose the option that will make you happier for 4 years!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have opinions on UTSW v UNC?

I definitely care about prestige for future academia, but also value lifestyle and want to have a family. No strong location preference aside from considering cost of living.
When you say want to have a family do you mean meet someone to marry or married and thinking about having kids? If the latter and partner doesn't make a ton of money then I'd keep UNC at the top.

When you say want to have a family do you mean meet someone to marry or married and thinking about having kids? If the latter and partner doesn't make a ton of money then I'd keep UNC at the top.
Yes the latter (already have the partner thankfully, and they indeed don't make a ton of money). Thank you for the insight!

4) Jefferson - amazing location in the center of Philadelphia. Seems like the program is going through many positive changes. Workload here hasn't been super favorable in the past but seems like that is changing. One hesitation for me is going into a program without knowing who the new PD will be.
Is the new PD John Lauriello? I was a med student at one of his old institutions eons back and had very positive interactions with him. I remember residents generally had pretty good things to say about him. Dept culture was very laid back and drew me to psychiatry.

Recent events have made this an easy choice whereas before I had no preference...

Eh, if you're talking about weather/safety then I honestly wouldn't be concerned. Stuff like this year is pretty rare for them and anyone making physician salary could have easily been prepared with a little foresight, and I'm not talking about doomsday prepping or anything even close to that.

If you're talking political stuff or how things were handled then that may be a different story, but without getting too deep into it TX as a whole probably has a much more diverse population overall and isn't as solidly red as NC.

Is the new PD John Lauriello? I was a med student at one of his old institutions eons back and had very positive interactions with him. I remember residents generally had pretty good things to say about him. Dept culture was very laid back and drew me to psychiatry.
No, he’s the chair

Would anyone happen to have info on Jackson Memorial's psychiatry residency program in Miami? Seems like the general consensus on the Psychiatry Residency Spreadsheet on reddit is that it has been a malignant program for quite some time now. Was hoping to get more opinions here on SDN.

just wondering, if someone doesn't match, is it better to take a gap year (delay graduation) or do a prelim year (IM)?