Official AAMC Practice Test question (#4 in Bio/Biochem)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaf208

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so the answer was A) Endoplasmic Reticulum (the question was asking about bio signaling within eukaryotic cell and makes no sense outside context of passage, so if you've already taken it you can look at the passage if you want) BUT basically, in the answer explanation, it explains that "protein transcription principally occurs in the Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER)".

Since when is this true?? Am I missing something

Members don't see this ad.

Protein transcription does occur in the ER. Specifically, the ribosomes are embedded into the ER. The ER should not be mistaken for the cytoplasm. It is a network of cell membrane that can be rough (many ribosomes for proteins synthesis) or smooth ER (which is not really involved in translation of proteins). Proteins are made and travel through the rough ER where they fold and maybe get other modifications. The proteins basically are modified with carbohydrate "tags" and lipid modifications in the golgi, which is almost an extension of the ER.

The key to this question (I over looked this too when I took the exam) is that you have to identify in the passage and know "retrograde transport." This protein was essentially made but was "tagged" to "serve it's purpose" in the ER membrane. It had to be transported back via a retrograde transport which is usually along actin filaments. Anterograde transport is away from the cell and retrograde is toward the cell. By the way - the ER does create vesicles to transport protein like the plasma membrane makes vesicles sometimes and the golgi. Usually these proteins from the ER go to either the cell membrane or golgi via vesicles. That supports the passage because this protein is responsible for vesicle formation.

Reactions: 1 user
Protein transcription does occur in the ER. Specifically, the ribosomes are embedded into the ER. The ER should not be mistaken for the cytoplasm. It is a network of cell membrane that can be rough (many ribosomes for proteins synthesis) or smooth ER (which is not really involved in translation of proteins). Proteins are made and travel through the rough ER where they fold and maybe get other modifications. The proteins basically are modified with carbohydrate "tags" and lipid modifications in the golgi, which is almost an extension of the ER.

The key to this question (I over looked this too when I took the exam) is that you have to identify in the passage and know "retrograde transport." This protein was essentially made but was "tagged" to "serve it's purpose" in the ER membrane. It had to be transported back via a retrograde transport which is usually along actin filaments. Anterograde transport is away from the cell and retrograde is toward the cell. By the way - the ER does create vesicles to transport protein like the plasma membrane makes vesicles sometimes and the golgi. Usually these proteins from the ER go to either the cell membrane or golgi via vesicles. That supports the passage because this protein is responsible for vesicle formation.

Oh wow...so embarrased; I didn't even consider the rough ER with all of its ribosomes. I was just thinking ribosomes, didn't make the connection with the ER. Thanks for the explanation!

Double check...does it really say protein transcription? I'm not going to take the time to log-on to e-mcat.com and check the solution, but if it does report it as errata to AAMC. Transcription is DNA-->RNA and it happens in the nucleus. Ribosomes on the RER participate in transLATION.

Yeah, I just realized this error. It should be protein translation not transcription. Transcription only occurs in the nucleus in eukaryotes, that's where the RNA Polymerases are located.