Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very discouraged to hear how awful COMSAE and COMBANK are at estimating your level and COMLEX score. My school is giving us COMSAE C. Should I even bother taking the other 2 to see where I stand, or just keep doing UWorld and COMBANK questions and not worry about taking COMSAE A and B?

Noo you are fine dude, it isn't a complete crapshoot. Obviously studying will make an impact. But, it isn't as clearcut as it is with the USMLE. Pretty much your score on the USMLE is nearly completely under your control depending on how much effort you put into it and how good of a test taker you are.

But, the COMLEX has more random **** in it that just either doesn't make sense or you just don't understand what in the world they are even asking. So, no matter how well you know the material, if the question sucks, you can't figure it out. There are many more of those questions on the COMLEX than the USMLE.

Course there are also good questions, so if you know the material you will know the answer. There is just a higher chance of a wider variability. The key is obviously knowing the material well so that you get the good questions right, and guessing well on the crappy questions.

Im not saying that it is total luck, just that luck plays a roll in it based on how many of those bad questions you get.
Well, lets just hope I'm not saying bye bye to the residencies I want cause of something so stupid, when I was more than prepared. Thanks for the replies. Just got to wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, lets just hope I'm not saying bye bye to the residencies I want cause of something so stupid, when I was more than prepared. Thanks for the replies. Just got to wait and see.

hello people...

as a now 4th year i just wanted to chime in....don't feel discouraged with how awful you feel after the exam...i dont think anyone walks away feeling amazing after the test. I studied really hard for mine (uworld, combank, FA, DIT, goljan, green book etc. etc.) and walked out of my test feeling like some of it was so easy and a give a way, but so much of it was WTF...things ive never heard of, pictures of insects (yea that happened), random BC questions, images i couldn't even figure out, linked qs on things i wasnt sure of...

I really just did not feel good. The weeks after the test I literally would have flashbacks of all the awful questions and even many that i should have gotten right, but just messed up due to nerves. I was convinced I had a list of lyk 75+ qs I most likely got wrong and was so nervous to get my score bc i couldnt imagine even get a 500/let alone did i even pass? lol...i ended up breaking the 600 mark, and altho my comsaes were about 30 points higher i was relieved! If you prepare well you will do well.

Try not to think about it...and if you must, try not to think of all the awful questions, but all of the easy ones (like when they asked me on my test what the NT was for alzheimers haa). If you think of all the ones you answered right you'll realize that altho there were a million annoying ones, there was plenty you got right and i'm sure you will do fine.

Plenty of my friends also felt awful with this test and most ended up doing similar/better than their comsae's.

Enjoy your time not studying 12 hours a day!

I'm very discouraged to hear how awful COMSAE and COMBANK are at estimating your level and COMLEX score. My school is giving us COMSAE C. Should I even bother taking the other 2 to see where I stand, or just keep doing UWorld and COMBANK questions and not worry about taking COMSAE A and B?

Do UW to learn, COMBANK to get down the style of questions, and take an NBME practice test to test your knowledge and see what your weaknesses are and then hit those hard the last few weeks. I wouldn't bother with another COMSAE.

Congrats to whomever is done, quick question did anyone try the doctors in training omm videos? If you did, do you think they were helpful, thinking about buying them, but dnt wanta waste the money if they are garbage, Ty.

I haven't taken COMLEX yet, but I watched the DIT OMM videos a couple weeks ago. They go along with the chapters in Savarese exactly. I read through each chapter before listening to the videos and honestly didn't think they offered too much that was over and above what's in the text with the exception of a couple high-yield points that you're most likely aware of already. They're taught by two lecturers. One of them is okay, but the other lecturer seems a little condescending. She teaches like everyone watching the videos is an idiot. The quality of teaching is just not up to par with the rest of the 2012 videos from DIT.

If you did well in OMM at your school, I would just stick with Savarese. If you struggled, I could see how it may be helpful. May help as well is you're an auditory learner. Overall, if I had seen them prior to purchasing them, I probably wouldn't have spent the money.

Naww you are fine, what residencies are you shooting for? Did you take the USMLE?
Ortho. I did not take USMLE because from my understanding only 2 D.Os match allopathic a year. I was pretty sure I was going to perform well on COMLEX too (always near the top for our board reviews in the class), so I was confident I wasn't going to "need" a USMLE. Now that I am pretty sure that my comlex is going to be crap (partly thanks to you :p) I kind of wish I took it. It's not I thought I was going to bad ( NBME 13 = 247), just thought I didn't need it. +pissed+:annoyed:

Huh im not too sure about the details for ortho, but if you were doing that well on the NBME, I would think youd rock the USMLE and that could only help. You can always take it later after you see what you got on the comlex. Don't worry about it dude, im sure your fine. Even if you get a 550 or something, just set-up a few away rotations and do well on them. On the DO side of things that seems to be the most important part.

Does anyone know what % of questions you have to get correct to correlate with certain scores? I've been consistently stuck at 80% in both COMQUEST and COMBANK, so if I got 80% of my questions correct on test day where would that net me? I'm about a week out from my exam.

Combank just added like 50 questions today! I thought I was done with some systems then I see so many more questions added. Its up to like 1950 questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a list of chapman's points we need to know besides the ones in savarese? Thanks in advance.

Combank is all i used, did 70% of it and averaged 68% on it, it was all i needed

I'm doing Combank as well. How did you prepare for USMLE? I'm sure that factored into you getting a supa dupa score on the comlex as well.

Did you take any Comsae? B or C? If so which one was most similar to the comlex?

Scores just in

usmle 272
comlex 730
congrats!!! that is a super score!!!!:bow: what book sources did you use besides FA? how many hours/day were u doing? Can you briefly explain your schedule/sources/study techniques u used?

thanks so much for your help:highfive:

Does anyone know what % of questions you have to get correct to correlate with certain scores? I've been consistently stuck at 80% in both COMQUEST and COMBANK, so if I got 80% of my questions correct on test day where would that net me? I'm about a week out from my exam.
That is right, all we can do is speculate....so lets speculate....that is a really good percentage, I predict you will do 570+.....I am not kidding either....post your score when it comes back and we will find out how well it correlates....good luck!

How many people thing Joe Girardi needs to get booted??
Girardi is the man, I love it when people (not talkin about you) complain about their staff, they won't know how good they got it until he gets canned...we'll see

Girardi is the man, I love it when people (not talkin about you) complain about their staff, they won't know how good they got it until he gets canned...we'll see

He was good and is so so now, he is definitely get a big time pass since 09 win, other than that his decisions are always hit or miss. besides, i miss the BIG BOSS, his sons aint the same.

does anyone happen to know .. are the OMM questions on the exam more comparable to com bank/comquest or the comsae? according to the banks i know my omm but the comsae thinks differently .. any suggestions? i am going through savarese book ..

does anyone happen to know .. are the OMM questions on the exam more comparable to com bank/comquest or the comsae? according to the banks i know my omm but the comsae thinks differently .. any suggestions? i am going through savarese book ..

Everyone I talk to says for the most part it's almost right out of Savarese, especially the cranial. It's light on the Chapmans points though so don't forget abt those.

whats the turn around for scoring the comlex? i took mine the 29th of May and was wondering when to expect it

I took the COMLEX May 30th and USMLE the 23rd but have been so busy with moving and rotations that started this week. I got a lot of advice on here and off here from IrJanus and Bleaker along with the rest of SDN so I really thank you all for that.

I promise to get more in depth with my experience and any questions once I actually get my score back... I came out of the USMLE feeling confident; however, I came out of the COMLEX feeling disappointed in myself.

I'm trying to go for an orthopedics residency on the east coast and was hoping to hit a 700+ on the COMLEX. I don't consider myself super smart so I just tried to crush both tests by putting a tremendous amount of hours into studying. Along with studying 8+ hours /day throughout school year, I was putting up 12+ hours the month before these exams. However, after taking it, I really haven no clue where I stand.

Here are my stats:
All dates are recorded in reference prior to my USMLE exam date of May 23
7 Months: 65% Kaplan Diagnostic
5 Weeks: 240 School sponsored basic science shelf
1 Month: NBME 7: 247
Mock COMLEX "Board exam" (x2) average: 700
2 Weeks: NBME 12: 254
1 Week: NBME 13: 257
During the week before: UWSA 1: >265 UWSA 2: >265
May 24: COMSAE B: 712

Offline NBME 6, 11: >240ish
Uworld First Pass: ~75% (Don't gauge yourself with uworld!)
Uworld Second pass started one month before and reviewed marked answers, and glad I did.
->Before taking the USMLE I had ~8000 questions done including uworld x2, Kaplan (couple Q's here and there), COMBANK (Need to fit in COMLEX studying somewhere), and the self assessments.
COMQUEST: ~ 800 questions of mostly OPP (gold), repro, micro, ethics

The COMLEX:
For me it was a little bit of everything with a focus on Repro, Micro, some neuro, and A TON of anatomy. When I would lurk SDN I would see people saying that for the comlex "you either know it or you don't". I thought they meant that you could actually study these things and know them, but at least 5-7 questions on each set I had absolutely no clue EVEN scouring through low yield books like Robins, Step up to medicine step 2, anatomy atlas. It seemed like the questions were either ridiculously easy or so random, which makes it hard to distinguish someone who studied 14+ hours a day from someone that got lucky on test day. COMSAE B was NOTHING like my test because COMSAE B actually had like 95% of the material I studied.

I don't mean to make anyone nervous. I think that if you study hard for the USMLE, then do COMQUEST OPP questions you'll get over 600+ easy, which is more than enough for almost all DO residencies. As Slyvanius said, study what you know and take it knowing you'll get those random questions.

I don't think the COMLEX is an unfair test. Unfortunately, as DO students we don't have a book anywhere near as perfect as FIRST AID USMLE Step 1 for our Level 1. Imagine taking the USMLE using only random COMLEX level 1 books, you too would think that the questions were "unfair" and "random". Just keep this in mind.

As far as Qbanks. UWorld was #1. For my test, and know that n=1, COMBANK was completely useless. Although it had a similar format to the test, the concepts tested were as good as if you just plowed through Uworld (except for OMM).

I got through about 800 COMQUEST questions since it opened like 5 days before my comlex. I believe this will be the #1 Qbank for DO students studying for the level 1 in future years.

Hopefully I will get more time to answer some questions. Overall, I felt my score could range anywhere 600+. Regardless of my score, I will bust my ass and work as hard as I can to get where I need to be. To any of you still taking the test, I wish you the best of luck.

I took the COMLEX May 30th and USMLE the 23rd but have been so busy with moving and rotations that started this week. I got a lot of advice on here and off here from IrJanus and Bleaker along with the rest of SDN so I really thank you all for that.

I promise to get more in depth with my experience and any questions once I actually get my score back... I came out of the USMLE feeling confident; however, I came out of the COMLEX feeling disappointed in myself.

I'm trying to go for an orthopedics residency on the east coast and was hoping to hit a 700+ on the COMLEX. I don't consider myself super smart so I just tried to crush both tests by putting a tremendous amount of hours into studying. Along with studying 8+ hours /day throughout school year, I was putting up 12+ hours the month before these exams. However, after taking it, I really haven no clue where I stand.

Here are my stats:
All dates are recorded in reference prior to my USMLE exam date of May 23
7 Months: 65% Kaplan Diagnostic
5 Weeks: 240 School sponsored basic science shelf
1 Month: NBME 7: 247
Mock COMLEX "Board exam" (x2) average: 700
2 Weeks: NBME 12: 254
1 Week: NBME 13: 257
During the week before: UWSA 1: >265 UWSA 2: >265
May 24: COMSAE B: 712

Offline NBME 6, 11: >240ish
Uworld First Pass: ~75% (Don't gauge yourself with uworld!)
Uworld Second pass started one month before and reviewed marked answers, and glad I did.
->Before taking the USMLE I had ~8000 questions done including uworld x2, Kaplan (couple Q's here and there), COMBANK (Need to fit in COMLEX studying somewhere), and the self assessments.
COMQUEST: ~ 800 questions of mostly OPP (gold), repro, micro, ethics

The COMLEX:
For me it was a little bit of everything with a focus on Repro, Micro, some neuro, and A TON of anatomy. When I would lurk SDN I would see people saying that for the comlex "you either know it or you don't". I thought they meant that you could actually study these things and know them, but at least 5-7 questions on each set I had absolutely no clue EVEN scouring through low yield books like Robins, Step up to medicine step 2, anatomy atlas. It seemed like the questions were either ridiculously easy or so random, which makes it hard to distinguish someone who studied 14+ hours a day from someone that got lucky on test day. COMSAE B was NOTHING like my test because COMSAE B actually had like 95% of the material I studied.

I don't mean to make anyone nervous. I think that if you study hard for the USMLE, then do COMQUEST OPP questions you'll get over 600+ easy, which is more than enough for almost all DO residencies. As Slyvanius said, study what you know and take it knowing you'll get those random questions.

I don't think the COMLEX is an unfair test. Unfortunately, as DO students we don't have a book anywhere near as perfect as FIRST AID USMLE Step 1 for our Level 1. Imagine taking the USMLE using only random COMLEX level 1 books, you too would think that the questions were "unfair" and "random". Just keep this in mind.

As far as Qbanks. UWorld was #1. For my test, and know that n=1, COMBANK was completely useless. Although it had a similar format to the test, the concepts tested were as good as if you just plowed through Uworld (except for OMM).

I got through about 800 COMQUEST questions since it opened like 5 days before my comlex. I believe this will be the #1 Qbank for DO students studying for the level 1 in future years.

Hopefully I will get more time to answer some questions. Overall, I felt my score could range anywhere 600+. Regardless of my score, I will bust my ass and work as hard as I can to get where I need to be. To any of you still taking the test, I wish you the best of luck.

So your saying, if you had to go with one, go with Comquest > Combank? + Uworld?

jumpmanv15,

Every test is different so take my advice with a grain of salt. In my humble opinion, I thought comquest was the most similar to the COMLEX. However, I didn't do the whole thing due to the timing of the new Q bank. I know of many people that did COMBANK twice along with dedicated study who scored 600+. If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to get someone's COMBANK notes with all those obscure questions that may make it onto the test, and would have done COMQUEST.

can anyone who took comlex recently comment as to the difficulty level/quantity of biochem on their exam? i have about one study block left available to me, and wonder if it'd be better to use it to review neuro or biochem...
thx.

jumpmanv15,

Every test is different so take my advice with a grain of salt. In my humble opinion, I thought comquest was the most similar to the COMLEX. However, I didn't do the whole thing due to the timing of the new Q bank. I know of many people that did COMBANK twice along with dedicated study who scored 600+. If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to get someone's COMBANK notes with all those obscure questions that may make it onto the test, and would have done COMQUEST.

thanks for the advice, i may go with comquest since as you say it was the most similar to comlex. that is my motivation to buying it.

not to mention, i like the way they present questions, much clearer than combank imo and tests more relevant knowledge...

does anyone have a discount code for comquest?

any insight would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

nm. should've read the rest of the thread first.

Last edited:
As for the marker board... Is it just a 8" x 11.5" dry eraser board with a marker that we're given for the exam? Do we have access to a pencil/paper like we did for the MCAT?

Also, were there any heart sounds?

Are the lab values provided, as in COMSAE and COMBANK?

I had two 8'' x 11.5'' sheets of dry eraser board with marker with dry erase pen. Same thing as my USMLE

**NO calculator for the COMLEX!, I went in assuming there was one, but any calculation will be simple math done on marker board

I had no heart sounds or lung sounds, but plenty of pathology pictures. For 95% of time, quality of pictures was decent enough that if you know your pathology from question stem, it didn't really matter.

Yeah the lab values were provided similar to those sources. It is a lot harder to use than the USMLE Fred Interface so I basically had the most common values e.g. potassium,Calcium, BUN, Bicarb, etc somewhat memorized that I could pick them out of a question stem if they were grossly out of range.

I have 3 days before my exam and was wondering if if its worth doing only those select few. if they are really good and limited in number then I can run through them in 3 days

I just thought I would share that quite a few people I know have taken the test in the last few weeks and the general consensus was:
40% OMM (chapman, viscerosomatic) and
40% Micro (know the G+/G- flow charts including susceptibility testing, specific agars, etc)
One direct hint is everyone of them mention knowing Anthrax specifically.
Roughly 5 path questions per block, a few minor biochem, etc.

I just thought I would share that quite a few people I know have taken the test in the last few weeks and the general consensus was:
40% Micro (know the G+/G- flow charts including susceptibility testing, specific agars, etc)

thanks for sharing, sounds like quite the split.

Wow, really. So I'll def make sure to do a few more micro passes in the next 2 weeks. lol

Shadeblueracer, thanks for the awesome insights. I have an unrelated personal question: if you're gunning for Ortho, then why bother taking the USMLE anyway?