Official: Countdown until July 13th score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quick question...does anybody know if we have to check the NBME website for our scores, or will it be sent to our e-mail directly?

Thank you!

A few points:

1. People who scored low are unlikely to be in the mood to go online and see how well other people did and post their not-optimal scores.

2. I am expecting a not-great score, so I am not really looking forward to Wednesday.

i'm assuming that you meant to write that you want your score MEOW

I want a literacola.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have forgotten so much since the test it's ridiculous.... pharm, for example. I was watching tv and someone mentioned spironolactone. I instantly remembered the gyno side effect. However, for about 10-15 seconds, I totally blanked on what it actually did/and even what organ system it fell under. I mean this is basic basic stuff. I finally remembered ... but every single drug in FA was ingrained in my head during Step 1 studying, and I could tell you its MOA and SFX instantly with great confidence.

Last edited:
Where did you find this info? I took the exam on 06/27 and am hoping for my score on Wednesday until I hear otherwise. Anyone know the cutoff date?

Where did you find this info? I took the exam on 06/27 and am hoping for my score on Wednesday until I hear otherwise. Anyone know the cutoff date?
you cant get your results back till you have waited for atleast 3 weeks(3 week is the minimum time these guys take to release results).so you will have to wait till 20th.and again remember people who have been waiting since may 17th and be happy.

you cant get your results back till you have waited for atleast 3 weeks(3 week is the minimum time these guys take to release results).so you will have to wait till 20th.and again remember people who have been waiting since may 17th and be happy.
Thanks for the info. Is this found somewhere on the NBME website? All I could find was this announcement...

Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees testing beginning in mid-May 2011. The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing from May 17 through late June will be Wednesday, July 13, 2011.

Not sure what the cutoff would be for "late June"?

Not sure what the cutoff would be for "late June"?

If you took your test on 6/27, then receiving the scores on 7/13 would actually be releasing them early, if anything. That announcement is for delays in score reporting.

Maybe you'll get it, though, but don't be too upset if you don't. I've only been waiting since 5/23, which isn't as bad as those waiting since 5/17...

What up all you Anxiety Junkies? Just got my score back so I thought I would post my super awesome strategy.

First of all: 188! YES! So now that I've got the attention of the gunners, focus your cross hairs on this prep strategy for a fool proof road to being better than everyone else (on paper) (actually on virtual paper).

1) Everyone knows that First Aid and USMLEWorld suck, so definitely stay away from those. First Aid is good to hold my couch up on one end because one of the legs fell off after too many pre-exam nights of Call of Duty. I always get killed straight away because I suck at most xbox games. But I also suck at life, and hey, that doesn't mean I should stop playing, right? Right? USMLEWorld is just like the real boards, which is exactly why you want to stay as far away from this as possible. I mean, people always do better with surprises. Science shows this. I published five articles in NEJM (first author, by the way) last year where we surprised the hell out of people in the subway, then we made them solve complex logic puzzles. They did fantastic. You will too.

2) Manage your Mojo. Everyone only has a certain amount of Mojo. Once used up, I'm sorry to say, your Mojo is gone. This is why people get progressively more lame as they get older. Their Mojo dries up. Understanding this basic law of physics can help you boost your board score. For example, never ever take an NBME practice test. This will only drain your exam Mojo on unnecessary virtual paper. Likewise, never do any practice problems of any kind. NEVER! Save all of your exam Mojo for the real Step 1 exam. If you are bursting with Mojo (combined with the Surprise Principle described above) then exam day will be like Christmas morning and guess what. You just got 322 brand new presents! Surprise! (note: some authorities claim that one can, in fact, "recharge" their Mojo through spontaneous acts of adventure or through buying lots of good food and leaving it out in common areas for other people, like myself, to eat)

3) As for 1st and 2nd year, just remember... Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. Get it? Get it? Thats all you need to know about class. If you don't get it, you probably just need to recharge your Mojo, then read it again.

4) How did I know what the exam would be like if I didn't do any practice questions at all? Simple. I went down to New Mexico and bought a Dream Catcher thing and hung it in my window. Then every night I would go to sleep saying over and over to myself, "Oh thoughts in my head, as I lay in my bed, please dream of the test, so I can be the BEST!" Just over and over and over until I fell asleep. Then when I woke up I would hold my dream catcher and write down all the things I dreamed about! Thus ensuring that I knew EXACTLY what I was going to see come test day.

5) And finally, how did I get my rock'n score? Well, aside from following these basic rules of life from the moment I was born until this moment, right now, I also got the Kaplan Qbank. Hahaha just kidding. But seriously, the final secret to an AMAZING OUT OF THIS WORLD Step 1 Score is Karma. "But Mike," you ask, "How can I possibly get good karma when I pretty much only care about myself and those who can get things for me?" Glad you asked, ITS EASY! Here's what I did! Over a year ago I made about 50 fake SDN accounts with random names and posted all over the place in the 2010 Step 1 thread saying I got scores in the 260s and 270s! You see??!! My simple act of thoughtful kindness motivated THOUSANDS of young eager medical students to push themselves to be as good as I pretended to be! BAM. Good Karma.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I just had to get my method out there! Good luck to all of you and just remember, If you can Dream it, you can DO IT!

-Mike

Last edited:
What up all you Anxiety Junkies? Just got my score back so I thought I would post my super awesome strategy.

First of all: 188! YES! So now that I've got the attention of the gunners, focus your cross hairs on this prep strategy for a fool proof road to being better than everyone else (on paper) (actually on virtual paper).

1) Everyone knows that First Aid and USMLEWorld suck, so definitely stay away from those. First Aid is good to hold my couch up on one end because one of the legs fell off after too many pre-exam nights of Call of Duty. I always get killed straight away because I suck at most xbox games. But I also suck at life, and hey, that doesn't mean I should stop playing, right? Right? USMLEWorld is just like the real boards, which is exactly why you want to stay as far away from this as possible. I mean, people always do better with surprises. Science shows this. I published five articles in NEJM (first author, by the way) last year where we surprised the hell out of people in the subway, then we made them solve complex logic puzzles. They did fantastic. You will too.

2) Manage your Mojo. Everyone only has a certain amount of Mojo. Once used up, I'm sorry to say, your Mojo is gone. This is why people get progressively more lame as they get older. Their Mojo dries up. Understanding this basic law of physics can help you boost your board score. For example, never ever take an NBME practice test. This will only drain your exam Mojo on unnecessary virtual paper. Likewise, never do any practice problems of any kind. NEVER! Save all of your exam Mojo for the real Step 1 exam. If you are bursting with Mojo (combined with the Surprise Principle described above) then exam day will be like Christmas morning and guess what. You just got 322 brand new presents! Surprise! (note: some authorities claim that one can, in fact, "recharge" their Mojo through spontaneous acts of adventure or through buying lots of good food and leaving it out in common areas for other people, like myself, to eat)

3) As for 1st and 2nd year, just remember... Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. Get it? Get it? Thats all you need to know about class. If you don't get it, you probably just need to recharge your Mojo, then read it again.

4) How did I know what the exam would be like if I didn't do any practice questions at all? Simple. I went down to New Mexico and bought a Dream Catcher thing and hung it in my window. Then every night I would go to sleep saying over and over to myself, "Oh thoughts in my head, as I lay in my bed, please dream of the test, so I can be the BEST!" Just over and over and over until I fell asleep. Then when I woke up I would hold my dream catcher and write down all the things I dreamed about! Thus ensuring that I knew EXACTLY what I was going to see come test day.

5) And finally, how did I get my rock'n score? Well, aside from following these basic rules of life from the moment I was born until this moment, right now, I also got the Kaplan Qbank. Hahaha just kidding. But seriously, the final secret to an AMAZING OUT OF THIS WORLD Step 1 Score is Karma. "But Mike," you ask, "How can I possible get good karma when I pretty much only care about myself and those who can get things for me?" Glad you asked, ITS EASY! Here's what I did! Over a year ago I made about 50 fake SDN accounts with random names and posted all over the place in the 2010 Step 1 thread saying I got scores in the 260s and 270s! You see??!! My simple act of thoughtful kindness motivated THOUSANDS of young eager medical students to push themselves to be as good as I pretended to be! BAM. Good Karma.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I just had to get my method out there! Good luck to all of you and just remember, If you can Dream it, you can DO IT!

-Mike

LMFAO this, so so very hard

5) And finally, how did I get my rock'n score? Well, aside from following these basic rules of life from the moment I was born until this moment, right now, I also got the Kaplan Qbank. Hahaha just kidding. But seriously, the final secret to an AMAZING OUT OF THIS WORLD Step 1 Score is Karma. "But Mike," you ask, "How can I possibly get good karma when I pretty much only care about myself and those who can get things for me?" Glad you asked, ITS EASY! Here's what I did! Over a year ago I made about 50 fake SDN accounts with random names and posted all over the place in the 2010 Step 1 thread saying I got scores in the 260s and 270s! You see??!! My simple act of thoughtful kindness motivated THOUSANDS of young eager medical students to push themselves to be as good as I pretended to be! BAM. Good Karma.

-Mike
really the time of amount you wasted on such silly things you really deserved the high score you got.188 really sums up your brilliance no need to waste more time on such writeups and start looking for some excellent job like some prestigious housekeeping position at john hopkins.hopefully someone with your credentials(afterall you passed usmle step 1 with flying colors) really deserves such high position.

really the time of amount you wasted on such silly things you really deserved the high score you got.188 really sums up your brilliance no need to waste more time on such writeups and start looking for some excellent job like some prestigious housekeeping position at john hopkins.hopefully someone with your credentials(afterall you passed usmle step 1 with flying colors) really deserves such high position.

lollers

Members don't see this ad :)

Creative1982 is one of my many, many false SDN accounts. I like to use it to ridicule myself online. Sometimes it (creative1982) gets carried away with its humorless posting however, because this SDN persona of mine was born in 1982, meaning it has very little Mojo left. So if it offends please pay it no mind!

P.S. And thats DR HOUSEKEEPER to YOU! ;)

Creative1982 is one of my many, many false SDN accounts. I like to use it to ridicule myself online. Sometimes it (creative1982) gets carried away with its humorless posting however, because this SDN persona of mine was born in 1982, meaning it has very little Mojo left. So if it offends please pay it no mind!

Zingggg

Relax. Thats not his score. He hasn't gotten his score report yet.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

I hope that doesn't mean something dirty.

So I really just wanted to make everyone even more neurotic than we already are, but a buddy of mine who is doing MD/PhD down here took his Step 1 three years ago and he said that his scores were released Tuesday Night at 11 CST (12 AM Wednesday EST), even before they got the E-mail. I know some of you SDNers have rotations that you have to be up for bright and early (I lucked out and have clinic at 8 :D), but I just wanted to put the possibility out there. I apologize in advance for the sleep I just cost some of you.

So I really just wanted to make everyone even more neurotic than we already are, but a buddy of mine who is doing MD/PhD down here took his Step 1 three years ago and he said that his scores were released Tuesday Night at 11 CST (12 AM Wednesday EST), even before they got the E-mail. I know some of you SDNers have rotations that you have to be up for bright and early (I lucked out and have clinic at 8 :D), but I just wanted to put the possibility out there. I apologize in advance for the sleep I just cost some of you.
Lol. The waiting wasn't really bad at all...till this past week. Now, I just wanna know and move on. Btw, I took it on June 2nd.

If you genuinely believe that you failed would you not look at your score until your day off? I think I will at least wait until the end of the day on Wednesday... hopefully I can hold out till the weekend.

If you genuinely believe that you failed would you not look at your score until your day off? I think I will at least wait until the end of the day on Wednesday... hopefully I can hold out till the weekend.

nope. i have to know. while i've avoided predicting a score (don't like the karmic implications), i am pretty sure i passed. however, i'm not confident i will get my target score. regardless, i will be anxiously awaiting the email (took it 6/4). luckily/unluckily, i start night shifts on labor and delivery wednesday night, so i'll be waiting at home allllllllllll day

nope. i have to know. while i've avoided predicting a score (don't like the karmic implications), i am pretty sure i passed. however, i'm not confident i will get my target score. regardless, i will be anxiously awaiting the email (took it 6/4). luckily/unluckily, i start night shifts on labor and delivery wednesday night, so i'll be waiting at home allllllllllll day

Still there must be some reassurance that you know you passed. It's just a matter of how much easier the road ahead (getting into the program you want) will be.
If I could have canceled my exam at the end I would have. I just lost focus and went into autopilot mode.

im hoping babies just start popping out left and right so my mind is off the score until i actually get it. took it 5/25 so i need to move on from this shindig.

Still there must be some reassurance that you know you passed. It's just a matter of how much easier the road ahead (getting into the program you want) will be.
If I could have canceled my exam at the end I would have. I just lost focus and went into autopilot mode.

I agree. I made it through 4 blocks and was so beat that I started zoning and had to end up flying through to get through every question. I don't THINK I failed, but I'm definitely going to be OCD checking the NBME website every 10 minutes Wednesday.

I feel pretty confident that I didn't do very well. As time has gone by, I remembered dozens of questions that I got wrong, and I marked like 15-20 per block. I'm sure I missed many others I don't remember.

I'm considering NOT looking at my score, and just waiting 5 weeks until I'm on a chill block to check the score. I'm too busy right now and I can't afford a huge blow to my ego.

Anyone else thinking about not checking their score for a while?

Yeesh. Well now I'm definitely going to be checking late into tomorrow night too haha.

I'm actually beginning to reach kind of a zen about this. The specialties I want to do require a semi-competitive score (235+) and even at lower scores you can be incredibly competitive with a strong resume... and even if I decide against it, I'm still gonna go ahead with Medicine/gastroenterology or Medicine/cards, as I have any number of ways to bolster my application and my standing in those fields.

Running this through in my mind, I feel a lot better haha.

i will def be checking my score anally...
i need to know.. whatever the result is, i need to know.. and i need to know NOW. its all i keep thinking about.... telll meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a small part of me thinks that maybe i did do well enough to get that tattoo after all.. but thats like 3% of me hahahahahaahahah

TELLL MEEEE NBMEEEE PLEASEEEEEEEE TEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE

I feel pretty confident that I didn't do very well. As time has gone by, I remembered dozens of questions that I got wrong, and I marked like 15-20 per block. I'm sure I missed many others I don't remember.

I'm considering NOT looking at my score, and just waiting 5 weeks until I'm on a chill block to check the score. I'm too busy right now and I can't afford a huge blow to my ego.

One of my real good friends swears he won't be checking his until Christmas. I understand your reasoning and I wish you luck, both with the test and with your willpower, but there's NO WAY I could hold off on looking.

one of our deans during our third year orientation told us that we, "can't hide" from her because she'll know our scores when we do. so even if i wanted to avoid mine, i can't.

Dude, you did awesome. What is needed now is calm and confidence.

I took mine on the 22nd. Seems like no one is willing to answer these questions.

Not true. It's been answered multiple times. If your test date is less than 3 Wednesday's from the 13th, your chance of score return that day is low, bc usmle puts their range (when they aren't sucking and delaying scores) at 3-8 weeks. Decicco I'd guess you'd have a decent chance tho since that's exactly 3 out from your date. No real way of knowing tho until it does or doesn't happen

I took mine on the 22nd. Seems like no one is willing to answer these questions.

Not to be a genitalia or anything but if you look back in this post, you'll find lots of people asking and I think alot of them have answers. Also, none of use really know when the cutoff is. Just wait until Wednesday to see. My guess is, if you haven't seen it by noon, you may need to wait a week.

one of our deans during our third year orientation told us that we, "can't hide" from her because she'll know our scores when we do. so even if i wanted to avoid mine, i can't.

She did say we'd hear from her only if we did really well or really poorly. So I guess you could avoid checking the score and let her "gently" break it to you. If you hear nothing, then you did as expected.

I'm definitely going to have to take an OTC sleep pill tomorrow. I already have a million things running through my head, so tomorrow is going to be magnified x100.

The biggest perk is that I get to first assist in several really really cool surgeries..Basically, I retract but I get a really good view when I do with the occasional cutting of something or stapling. That should make the day go relatively fast.

My original plan was to get my husband to check my score and give him a script based on possible numbers (eg "you failed," "you passed, although you didn't get what you wanted," "you're a genius"). Then I could stew on the implications without having to freak out over the number.

The problem with this plan is that then I'd have to wait until 7-8pm. SO... I guess I'm going to have to put on my big-girl pants and check it myself.

I will *try* to not check it during any down-time I have during the day, just in case I need to freak out, but it seems unlikely that I'll be able to muster that much will power.

I find it rather ironic that we (including myself) are much more nervous/anxiety-stricken about the 'score-release moment' than we were about taking the actual exam. I myself am just too damn scared to check. Although what the above poster suggested is not a bad idea...I would just be afraid to hear the "you 'failed'" line. so I might aim low (i.e. fail=actual fail, etc.). Of course I think when I get down to it I might just take the old 'band-aid' approach to this and get it over with (but not before taking a xanax).

So, here's to us scaredys!! :scared:
-PJ

I'm definitely going to have to take an OTC sleep pill tomorrow. I already have a million things running through my head, so tomorrow is going to be magnified x100.

The biggest perk is that I get to first assist in several really really cool surgeries..Basically, I retract but I get a really good view when I do with the occasional cutting of something or stapling. That should make the day go relatively fast.

ha i know the feeling. i've been involved in a couple complicated c-sections...and by involved, i mean that i was scrubbed in while a c-section was taking place next to me lol. still nice to be right there tho, as well as holding the occasional retractor or bladder blade. i'll take it for my first clerkship of 3rd year tho

ha i know the feeling. i've been involved in a couple complicated c-sections...and by involved, i mean that i was scrubbed in while a c-section was taking place next to me lol. still nice to be right there tho, as well as holding the occasional retractor or bladder blade. i'll take it for my first clerkship of 3rd year tho

Psh... That's nothing I got to watch a guy get BOTOX today... Wait... Guess that's not really all that cool after all.

This thread has managed to get me so worked up that I'll have to take a sleeping pill tomorrow night............................................................................ and I'm not even getting my score this Wednesday.

Jiminy FRICKIN christmas.

I was doing well with all this until like today. Now my stomach has started flipping over every time I think of it.

It makes me wish I were on call for the next 48 hours straight so I could not think about it and this would all just go by.

Freaking anesthesia. It's too chill. Too much time to think.

Frickity frack I'll whine about anything won't I?

OK, didn't mean to get you guys all worked up. Good luck on Wednesday!
The kids who took the exam in May get a little huffy when us late June test takers are wanting our score at the same time.

I've looked at the NBME website and see no reason why you or any other late June test taker would not be confident in getting his or her score on Weds.

Last edited:

i am really sorry if i offended you but thats the harsh reality you have to face.Life does treat some people unfairly and you being an exceptional example of this cruelty.stop using all these defence mechanisms eg lame humor to get rid of your anxiety(which you most certainly would never have heard about.again i dont want to mention your scores and your level of medical knowledge)and try to concentrate on job ahead.wish you best of luk again Dr Housekeeper.
Note :these posts are just meant to pass these exceptional two days and are not meant to offend anyone so Dr Housekeeper its nothing sort of a personal attack.

The anxiety on here is kinda funny. The test is over so there's nothing we can do to change the outcome of the test. Just work hard today and you'll sleep just fine.