Official Dermatology Interview Feedback 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously not interviewing this year as I am a resident, but I am starting this thread so that people can post their insights and experience. Feel free to add.

As an applicant, I would have liked to know if any one attending had a stressful demeanor, how the food was in the morning so I would have known whether to eat beforehand, how much walking I would have had to do so I could choose comfortable shoes -- little things like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I know everyone is all hung up about privacy and not revealing who they are, but I know interviews are underway, and you can still share your thoughts and feedback about places without giving away your identity!

We've already interviewed a batch of folks already; I just talked to another resident at a far-away program who's vetting a whole bunch of people. Anything that could be improved on the trail?

I dunno; to encourage people to post, would it be horrible to create a dummy anon login just for this thread? Badness? Goodness? Long Dong, what's the SDN policy?

But really, I don't think we need to have an anon login... Dermboard requires sign-in, the same as here, but we're a much cooler board! No flashing ads in your face and in your thread!

I had asked Long Dong about this - and he said we could PM him (and maybe you too?:)) and you or him could post it here. Yes we are all THAT paranoid.:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno; to encourage people to post, would it be horrible to create a dummy anon login just for this thread? Badness? Goodness? Long Dong, what's the SDN policy?

I'll ask admin about that and get back to you guys.

I had asked Long Dong about this - and he said we could PM him (and maybe you too?:)) and you or him could post it here. Yes we are all THAT paranoid.:oops:

Yeah I know on the optho forum people would PM the mod and he'd post the 411/scoop/dirt without identifiers so people could stay anonymous. If anyone wants to do the same here you could PM me and I'll post the info witout identifiers. I think people who've actually rotated at programs can give better feedback cause they were there for a month while on an interview it's hard to get the whole picture of a program. So if any rotaters want to give anonymous feedback on a program that would be welcome too.

ALRIGHT! Awesome. So as I slowly churn out my dermguide and later I will do the match list via PM, Long Dong is doing the PM for the Interview Feedback thread? Yes?

I definitely promise I will do the Match List and actually will update it as quickly as you guys send me info.

Ok, fine, so no one wants to post even by PMing Long Dong.

So what about posting at SDN's Interview Feedback site?

I read the two posts over there. Quite very well anonymized, I'd say. And since we're at the end of the interview season, your posting dates won't be even close to your original interview date, thus further protecting your identity.

I just think it's a good idea to share interview experiences. I remember as an applicant I was dying for some feedback but never got to hear from others.

i think we should just make an anonymousderm name and 'anonymous' password. that is what we did on the dermboard. i don't see why we can't do it here.

Good idea. I had proposed that before also. If someone changes the password, Long Dong is the administrator and can ban the "anonymous" name and we can start all over again. Long Dong, your thoughts? Can we do this? Please?:)

Good idea. I had proposed that before also. If someone changes the password, Long Dong is the administrator and can ban the "anonymous" name and we can start all over again. Long Dong, your thoughts? Can we do this? Please?:)

I asked the powers that be about this and they've done it in the past but stopped this due to trolling and sock puppeting (one poster pretending to be another poster to back up ones own post). If anyone wants to post feed back anonymously just P.M. the 411 and I'll post it without your identifiers or you can go to the interview feedback link at the top and add you shizzle there.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I see. To avoid the scourges that plagued dermboard.

I will give all my comments after match day, just post a reminder around then cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who is just that paranoid. Comments at this point won't be used until next year anyway

I will give all my comments after match day, just post a reminder around then cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who is just that paranoid. Comments at this point won't be used until next year anyway

It might affect how someone makes their rank list this year. eg if more then one person got that weirded out/malignant vibe from a certain program, or that our programs shiznats don't stink kind of feeling from a program.

It might affect how someone makes their rank list this year. eg if more then one person got that weirded out/malignant vibe from a certain program, or that our programs shiznats don't stink kind of feeling from a program.

I really doubt (actually, I really hope) no one actually shortens their rank list based on what people are posting on an anonymous message board. One simple truth: "If it's on the Internet, it's probably false."

That being said, I do remember in years past that applicants actually refused to rank a couple of prestigious programs because they were so put off by how the program treated them during the interview. (Ex. No names but there was a program that put all its applicants in the same room and conducted the interview out in the open)

Still, I imagine unless it was thoroughly atrocious behavior that most people will rank every place they interviewed.

I really doubt (actually, I really hope) no one actually shortens their rank list based on what people are posting on an anonymous message board. One simple truth: "If it's on the Internet, it's probably false."

That being said, I do remember in years past that applicants actually refused to rank a couple of prestigious programs because they were so put off by how the program treated them during the interview. (Ex. No names but there was a program that put all its applicants in the same room and conducted the interview out in the open)

Still, I imagine unless it was thoroughly atrocious behavior that most people will rank every place they interviewed.

I agree with you that everyone should rank all programs they interviewed at but that interview feed back might help some one in deciding the order of their list. I few years back there were some programs that just didn't fill cuz rumor had it they were just full of themselves.