Official July 24, 2014 MCAT Thread(because just once wasn't fun enough!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Begin.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 7/24/2014 (first time)
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (12/12/15)

Very excited! This is the happiest I've been in a while. I was not expecting this score. The only section that I had been confident about when I walked out was Bio, and that was only because I finished it 30 minutes early and checked over the entire section.

Big shoutout to Kaplan! I took the online course and then supplemented with TPR Cracking the MCAT Book and all of the Examkrackers 1001 books. Overall I took 17 practice exams (full lengths) as well as all Kaplan topical tests and all Kaplan section tests. Hope this score helps with MD/PhD applications!

wow you killed it!
good for you!

Did people with 10+ in verbal feel like garbage after? I wrote yesterday and verbal is my major concern right now

Reactions: 1 user
Did people with 10+ in verbal feel like garbage after? I wrote yesterday and verbal is my major concern right now
I mean I only got a 10, but I felt good about it.
I felt AWFUL about physics.... and of course I got an 8.

On my first MCAT I felt awful about verbal, and I got an 8...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I only got a 10, but I felt good about it.
I felt AWFUL about physics.... and of course I got an 8.

On my first MCAT I felt awful about verbal, and I got an 8...

man its so hard to study so much and then end up not in 10s.
I just feel like my world is ending. but of course it doesnt.

Reactions: 1 users
Test Date: 7/24/2014
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (12/12/11)

I jumped with joy. Definitely was expecting a 28, worried it would be like a 24, and now I'm excited to apply for allopathic programs only next cycle. The week before I was feeling unsure because I wanted over a 30 to compensate for a low historic gpa from way back when, I thought about voiding, decided to submit, and am incredibly grateful that I did submit. Somehow I pulled out my best practice scores for the real deal in each section. Woohoo!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, first time poster here in need of some advice. I took the July 25th MCAT and got a 31. I have a >3.9 GPA, decent extracurriculars, and I am also a URM. I'm torn on whether or not to retake. Any input is appreciated!!!
I wouldn't retake if I were you unless you are trying for top 10 schools. Your stats are god enough for mid tier without killing yourself studying again.

Totally agree. Don't retake it- you got over a 30 and you have other good stuff for your application. Unless you want to go to a top school and you feel confident you can score significantly higher if you retake.

Test Date: 7/24/2014 (first time)
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (12/12/15)

Very excited! This is the happiest I've been in a while. I was not expecting this score. The only section that I had been confident about when I walked out was Bio, and that was only because I finished it 30 minutes early and checked over the entire section.

Big shoutout to Kaplan! I took the online course and then supplemented with TPR Cracking the MCAT Book and all of the Examkrackers 1001 books. Overall I took 17 practice exams (full lengths) as well as all Kaplan topical tests and all Kaplan section tests. Hope this score helps with MD/PhD applications!

I did the same except took the on-site while in school and working, delayed my exam, and retook online Kaplan with 10+ full lengths and all the section tests etc. So many great resources!

Test Date: 7/24/2014
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (12/12/11)

I jumped with joy. Definitely was expecting a 28, worried it would be like a 24, and now I'm excited to apply for allopathic programs only next cycle. The week before I was feeling unsure because I wanted over a 30 to compensate for a low historic gpa from way back when, I thought about voiding, decided to submit, and am incredibly grateful that I did submit. Somehow I pulled out my best practice scores for the real deal in each section. Woohoo!
Congrats, that's an awesome score! I have a similar FL average (~29.5) and I would LOVE to get 32+. I felt pretty good about my test and based on others' opinions of it, it sounds like the scale will be generous. I don't even know what I'd do if I got a 35. September 9th is the moment of truth...

To those of you who do not mind, can you post your percentiles for your scores? Especially if your scores are in the 9-12 range for PS/VR/BS (Thank You!) Trying to figure out based on your perceived test difficulties if there is a matched curve

I felt like I bombed verbal and got like a 6 or 7, but ended up with an 11. Don't trust your post-test gut feeling for the MCAT! Ever...

Although I did not get a 10 in VR (I got a 9), I felt like I got a 2-3 on 7/25 mcat. Literally didn't remember the section at all, still don't recall a single question, timing was way off during the test. My estimated time spent per passage was (9min, 12min, 11min, 5min, 6min, 7min, 10min). I basically freaked out after using 32 minutes on the first 3 passages. I continued to freak out through the biology section, and got to the "Do you want to score your test screen" freaked out a little more, didn't void it. Continued to freak out for a month pending scores (mid cycle with 2015 mcat scaring the ish out of me) AND THEN.....

I GOT MY AVERAGE VR SCORE :hungover:

how are the sept 18th retakers feeling?
Feeling terrible!! I did SUPER bad on VR! I should've voided my exam :bang: already submitted my applications to AMCAS/AACOMAS. I really need to improve my score.....Or I will have to withdraw my applications. It's not even good for DO schools :(

Feeling terrible!! I did SUPER bad on VR! I should've voided my exam :bang: already submitted my applications to AMCAS/AACOMAS. I really need to improve my score.....Or I will have to withdraw my applications. It's not even good for DO schools :(

Are you retaking sept 18?

feelin good? im assuming you have prepped hard for verbal. ive tried...
I did some of the passages from Princeton Review. The problem is I freak out when there is a time limit. Not expecting anything above 10
Good Luck :)

Although I did not get a 10 in VR (I got a 9), I felt like I got a 2-3 on 7/25 mcat. Literally didn't remember the section at all, still don't recall a single question, timing was way off during the test. My estimated time spent per passage was (9min, 12min, 11min, 5min, 6min, 7min, 10min). I basically freaked out after using 32 minutes on the first 3 passages. I continued to freak out through the biology section, and got to the "Do you want to score your test screen" freaked out a little more, didn't void it. Continued to freak out for a month pending scores (mid cycle with 2015 mcat scaring the ish out of me) AND THEN.....

I GOT MY AVERAGE VR SCORE :hungover:

I'm feeling as you described right now because of verbal. Did you blindly guess certain passage questions? I felt the exact same way, but I think I guessed on about 1.5 passages worth of questions toward the last three passages. I'm hoping I have a chance at a 9.

I'm feeling as you described right now because of verbal. Did you blindly guess certain passage questions? I felt the exact same way, but I think I guessed on about 1.5 passages worth of questions toward the last three passages. I'm hoping I have a chance at a 9.

Even when I took a lot of time on a passage or question, I could never get down to a solid answer. I felt I guessed on EVERY question. Luckily, I was able to eliminate answers based on the authors tone so I guess my feeling of guessing was more educated than I thought. If you were able to eliminate answers, guessing between 2 choices, usually increases your chances. There is nothing you can do but wait. I hope you do well. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out!!!