*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This seems obvious, but it is fine to repeat the professor's school under "Institution", right? We shouldn't put the professor's department there or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

How much later? If you can get it in before the first data dump, the schools will be able to see it in the first review. If you don't make that cut off time, then it would be an update LOR which I think only some schools accept. You could also add the letter now to AMCAS and assign it to schools--which would delay your secondary being marked complete until the letter is received, but ensures that schools won't process your app until the letter gets there.

Only two of the schools I'm applying to require a letter from an MD/DO. I'm still waiting on that letter, so would it be advisable to apply to these schools now and update later with the missing LOR or should I only apply to the schools that don't require this letter for now?

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only two of the schools I'm applying to require a letter from an MD/DO. I'm still waiting on that letter, so would it be advisable to apply to these schools now and update later with the missing LOR or should I only apply to the schools that don't require this letter for now?

Thanks!

-Bill R.

If it's only two schools, it'd be easiest for you to call then and specifically ask if they'll accept an update letter later in the cycle or if they'd rather you wait to send them all the letters at once. It should be fine for you to apply to all the other schools in the meantime.

Hello everyone,
I had a question about assigning LOR to the schools i am applying to. for example say i submit my application to UCdavis medical school ans i skipped marking any LOR . can i submit the LORs later after submission?!

Hello everyone,
I had a question about assigning LOR to the schools i am applying to. for example say i submit my application to UCdavis medical school ans i skipped marking any LOR . can i submit the LORs later after submission?!

Yes.

Can I switch the letter type after I submit my application, for instance can I choose committee letter and then switch to letter packet or individual letters? I have had a weird experience with my pre-medical committee in the past and I just want to keep all my options open to ensure that the medical schools will receive all my letters.

Thank you for all your help. :)

Ok so I already have 1 science letter and 1 research letter, but I still need another science one. The one professor who said yes is coming back to the US on 7/22 and said he can write me one then. I'm using the online service so it'll only take a day after he writes it for it to get received. Is that too late?

Also, can I turn in my secondaries without the letters and just be placed "in queue" until my letters arrive or will they not process my application at all without the letters?

Hello everyone,

Yes. Some schools want you to wait until they offer you a secondary anyway, so the system has to allow you to do it.

I have a committee letter and several LOR's ready in my University's online letter-holding system. I must transfer the letter electronically to the AMCAS portal. However, I am still waiting on one more LOR.

My questions:

1.) When are LOR's transmitted from the AMCAS portal to individual medical schools? I would like to make sure my application is marked as "Complete" ASAP. However, I do not quite understand whether the LOR's are transmitted along with the primary app, at regular time intervals, as soon as they are uploaded, or only when secondary applications are submitted. Does anyone know the answer to this? I have already been verified for my primary app, and again, I want to have my whole application package be "Complete" as early as possible.
2.) I have general read several posts in this thread that if one has a Committee Letter, one does not need individual LOR. Is my understanding of this fact correct? For example, if I have a Committee letter and two science letters, do I still need to procure a non-science letter, or does the Committee Letter "waive" medical school requirement's for the non-science letter?
3.) Does AMCAS "verify" LOR in a similar fashion as the primary app grades? Is it important to submit LOR as early as possible in this regard, or does it not matter? If LOR are 'verified' how long does this usually take?

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

I have a committee letter and several LOR's ready in my University's online letter-holding system. I must transfer the letter electronically to the AMCAS portal. However, I am still waiting on one more LOR.

My questions:

1.) When are LOR's transmitted from the AMCAS portal to individual medical schools? I would like to make sure my application is marked as "Complete" ASAP. However, I do not quite understand whether the LOR's are transmitted along with the primary app, at regular time intervals, as soon as they are uploaded, or only when secondary applications are submitted. Does anyone know the answer to this? I have already been verified for my primary app, and again, I want to have my whole application package be "Complete" as early as possible.
2.) I have general read several posts in this thread that if one has a Committee Letter, one does not need individual LOR. Is my understanding of this fact correct? For example, if I have a Committee letter and two science letters, do I still need to procure a non-science letter, or does the Committee Letter "waive" medical school requirement's for the non-science letter?
3.) Does AMCAS "verify" LOR in a similar fashion as the primary app grades? Is it important to submit LOR as early as possible in this regard, or does it not matter? If LOR are 'verified' how long does this usually take?

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

First.....super baller that you all are still using my FAQ for this thread. Getting credit or a quote would have been nice, but I will let it go;)

1.) The LORS are transferred at different times for each school; most of them are on a weekly schedule, some get their letters updated a couple of times a week or less frequently than weekly. It will be different for each school, and once you submit the letters, nothing you do will speed up this part. Patience is golden. Or something;)

2.) My understanding has always been that a committee letter fulfills the letter requirement completely, but I did not go to a school with a committee letter so I will let someone else weigh in on this one.

3.) When you "create" a letter in AMCAS, you get a letter ID. You have to print out this page and get the letter writer to include it when they send your letter in. I will be honest, the best thing you can do for yourself and your sanity is to use a letter service...I believe I gave instructions on that in the original FAQ but if I didn't, let me know and I will give you a recommendation of what to do.

If you have your letter writer include this cover sheet and letter ID, they usually get added to your app pretty quickly once they reach AMCAS; it isn't the same as going through your transcripts line by line and verifying classes. But like anything, the longer you wait to send it in, the slower it goes as the cycle goes on. So just get it in as soon as possible.

Hope that helped! Good luck!

I'm SURE I read this somewhere, but it's really late and my mind is completely shattered, so my apologies if it's repetitive.

1) Can we send additional letters of rec as "updates" to the schools we're applying to? I know that we ourselves can send in an update letter for new experiences, but can letter writers also do that as well? (I'm 99% sure the answer is yes, but I just want to corroborate)

2) How many letters is too many? I'm thinking about sending in six: the standard 3 instructors, a research supervisor, a volunteer coord, and a MD. Is this overkill? I just want to send the latter 3 in because I feel like they would more accurately represent my post-graduation experiences (since I've been out of school for a while).

Thank you!!

1. How accurate are the maximum # statistic for lors on the msar page? I went on to some of the school's home pages and I see that some of them don't list a max # of letters whereas MSAR does. Which one is better to follow?

2. For schools like NYMC, I JUST found out that they prefer having the amcas ID listed on the letter. I'll be sending in my letters anyway but how much of a setback might this cause?

3. Also, is it possible to not send a letter to a certain school once I've already submitted to amcas? It's not that I don't want that letter sent at all. It's just that I don't want it sent to a certain school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm debating between which of the two letters to use:
1) from the supervisor of research I did at a hospital (clinical/administrative research)
The letter will be good, but very generic and testifies to my clinical experience. She hardly knows me but she writes good letters for everyone as long as you don't mess up. She will probably talk more about my interest in medicine and how I've pursued it through my work there.
2) from the supervisor of agriculture research I did two years ago. The PI knows me very very well because I've worked for him for 2 years so it will be very personal but he doesn't know much about my aspirations in medicine because I wasn't premed before. But I could always set up some time to tell him about it. He'd probably talk more about my personality and qualities/experience in research rather than my potential to be a doctor though.

Which of these will be more appropriate to use, given that my other 2 letters will be from professors of classes I'm in? My school only lets me use 3 letters for a committee letter. Also, most of my letters will be from professors who've only known me for a semester... my school is huge so its been really hard getting to know professors :( Thanks!

Hello,

If I added a letter I'm sure I'll receive soon (but it hasn't been sent yet, marked as "Not Received" on AMCAS), and then choose to submit this letter to schools (they allow the option), will AMCAS automatically send the letter to the schools right when it's marked "received"?

One of my letter writers asked to whom she should address the letter. Am I right in thinking the letter should be addressed to a general audience, as in "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To whom it may concern"? Thanks!

When you submit a packet letter to AMCAS from your school who do you put as a primary contact/author? Pre-health advisor? First recommender?

One of my letter writers asked to whom she should address the letter. Am I right in thinking the letter should be addressed to a general audience, as in "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To whom it may concern"? Thanks!

any sound fine

When you submit a packet letter to AMCAS from your school who do you put as a primary contact/author? Pre-health advisor? First recommender?

Does anyone know the answer to this? :confused: Who do you put as a primary author for the letter packet?

Just realized one of my non science letters is coming from someone who's not a full professor.... He's listed as a lecturer... Is that still a faculty member?? I really hope so because its a bit too late for me to contact anyone else and I don't think there's anyone I can ask :( he already wrote the letter and its in inter folio too (if it helps he's an MD as well)

Yes, does anyone care if they're actually professors or not?

I have one excellent letter of rec from a science professor. I am getting a letter of rec from my EMT community college teacher, who is not a professor...will this count at all, or count as a science or non science professor? I have one more letter from a science professor that I'm not sure is good or not. I heard nothing about my LORs in my feedback from the interview I received last year (I'm a reapplicant) so I don't think there was anything wrong with it.

Just realized one of my non science letters is coming from someone who's not a full professor.... He's listed as a lecturer... Is that still a faculty member?? I really hope so because its a bit too late for me to contact anyone else and I don't think there's anyone I can ask :( he already wrote the letter and its in inter folio too (if it helps he's an MD as well)

Yes, lecturers are still faculty. Don't sweat it ; )

For the science faculty letters, are these professors that taught you in a course? What if they are faculty but you did research with them, and they did not teach you?

Then would that count as 'research' and not science letter?

If a letter writer forgot to sign the letter, do you know how we resubmit the letter to amcas? Do they just append it to the current letter on file?

Also, can I turn in my secondaries without the letters and just be placed "in queue" until my letters arrive or will they not process my application at all without the letters?

Can someone answer this? I have a lot of secondaries that I want to submit but I'm waiting on 1 letter. I know I won't be considered complete, but I don't want to hold onto these secondaries much longer.

Hey I have a question and I haven't been able to find an answer. One of my letter writers took a while to write a LOR for me, so I submitted my apps without it. Now that my TMDSAS app has been verified and sent to schools, can I add a LOR? Or do I need to send it directly to the schools? Thanks for any relevant info.

Anyone know if the LORs submitted through the AMCAS Letter Writer are considered waived? Thx

A doctor that worked with the law firm i used to work for wrote me a stellar letter of recommendation. However, he sent me a copy and in no part of it does he indicate how he knows me. At this point its too late for him to make any changes, but im wondering whether i should use it since it doesn't indicate anything about how he knows me, so adcoms might think he is a family friend. Should I send out the letter and then just explain it in my interviews or should i just not use the letter? I still have a committee letter packet which includes letters from a few professors, a letter from a doctor i shadowed, and a letter from the PHd i was a research assistant for, so the letter isnt absolutely necessary. However its a really great letter so it would be a shame to waste it. I know I wasnt supposed to see it in the first place, btw. He sent it to me after he already submittied it without be even asking.Thanks!

Hello SDN,

I am in a predicament: I already submitted my primary AMCAS and had it verified, and I also assigned my committee letter packet + an additional 5 letters from other writers to all my schools. However, I recently (as of 7/8/13) started working as a research assistant in a great lab group at a prestigious university. I realize that including a letter from a supervisor during post-graduate employment is important in med school apps; however, it seems like I haven't worked here long enough or gotten to know the PI well enough for the letter to have the intended effect. If I wait for a substantial length of time to pass before the letter gets sent, then it will become a hold-up for all of my other app materials.

Should I still attempt to have the PI write a letter for me? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

If I am confident that I have multiple strong LORs, should I hesitate to submit all of them to schools? I have 7 individual letters submitted to AMCAS and realize that schools have specific requirements for their MD LORs (ie. Boston U requires 2 letters from sciences profs and a 3rd letter of choice); should I not submit any more than 3 in this case?

Thanks and good luck to all!

:love:

Just to be sure, neither LSU New Orleans, nor Shreveport are interested in having a LoR from a PI? Not even if you're applying for an MD/PhD program? If they do, do you send them in with your secondaries or with your primaries?

Also it seems like LSU-NO uses the AMCAS letter service and shreveport doesn't, is this correct? I use interfolio. Would I be able to send letters to both of them using it?

My committee leader told me they could not recommend me and so I should by-pass the letter for MD schools (thinks I am great for D.O.). I will still apply but with no committee letter. I know this will hurt my chances so what should I do?

Given my background, MCAT, and Gpa I have a 44-76 percent (from charts circulating) chance of acceptance but my school seems to think I do not qualify for a letter

URM male, sociology degree, Southern public university

MCAT: 24
PS 6 - I know.
V 10
BS 8

GPA: 3.5, 3.3sci

I am obviously not a great, or even good applicant but without a committee letter I am pretty much doomed despite having a slim chance for acceptance.

I have great individual letters from 2 science professors, research PI, sociology professor, hospital coordinator, and a MD doc otherwise.

Thoughts on bypassing committee letter and how to say you did not qualify?

THANKS A LOT.

Quick question.

I just realized I have an unsigned letter for one of my submissions.

If my writer reuploads the same but signed letter to Interfolio can I submit it again and overwrite the older AMCAS letter?

or do I have to create a new letter entry?

Applying next cycle, but I'm picking my classes right now that will determine who my science letter writers will be.

I've almost finished up my premed science requirements, but I didn't build strong relationships with the professors at all. Right now, I'm thinking about taking a class (listed under Human Biology) that deals with the humanities of medicine (e.g. patient's experience, doctor-patient relationships, death, sick children) that is taught by a medical school professor. Would his letter count as one of my science LORs?

Also, since my school doesn't have a committee, all my letters are individual. I have a range of letters since some universities want letters from specific people. Should I name the letters accordingly (IE: "Science Professor Letter", "Medical Doctor Letter", "Dean Letter", etc) or will they sort it out on the secondaries? I Didn't really think about it at first because I didn't realize how specific they were about some of the letter writers.

Hey Guys,

I think I'm kinda of screwed here, so the professor I took a class with and worked with as a student instructor with, can't start on my letter of recommendation until after September 10th. I have a letter of recommendation from a graduate student in the sciences, but I was told they don't hold the same weight as one from a lecturer or professor.

Could someone please let me know if a letter from a graduate student is fine or not? Unfortunately, this professor doesn't co-sign letters. Anyone else I ask for a letter, either doesn't know me as well or it will have been too long, since I graduated last December.

Thanks

For the science faculty letters, are these professors that taught you in a course? What if they are faculty but you did research with them, and they did not teach you?

Then would that count as 'research' and not science letter?

It depends on schools, I think. However, I had a similar problem several months ago and my pre-med letter service told me the science letters should at least mention about class performances.

In short, if they did not teach you a science course in general (with a few exceptions for some schools) it does not count as science letter even though the faculty is technically under "science departments."

Anyone know if the LORs submitted through the AMCAS Letter Writer are considered waived? Thx

Isn't there a waiver form or document where you sign it to show you aren't going to look at the letters? I am not sure. Maybe somewhere in that fine print says it would be considered waived?

A doctor that worked with the law firm i used to work for wrote me a stellar letter of recommendation. However, he sent me a copy and in no part of it does he indicate how he knows me. At this point its too late for him to make any changes, but im wondering whether i should use it since it doesn't indicate anything about how he knows me, so adcoms might think he is a family friend. Should I send out the letter and then just explain it in my interviews or should i just not use the letter? I still have a committee letter packet which includes letters from a few professors, a letter from a doctor i shadowed, and a letter from the PHd i was a research assistant for, so the letter isnt absolutely necessary. However its a really great letter so it would be a shame to waste it. I know I wasnt supposed to see it in the first place, btw. He sent it to me after he already submittied it without be even asking.Thanks!

I would submit it if I were you. If that experience with that law firm is indicated in your AMCAS, adcoms should know how you know the doctor.

Hello SDN,

I am in a predicament: I already submitted my primary AMCAS and had it verified, and I also assigned my committee letter packet + an additional 5 letters from other writers to all my schools. However, I recently (as of 7/8/13) started working as a research assistant in a great lab group at a prestigious university. I realize that including a letter from a supervisor during post-graduate employment is important in med school apps; however, it seems like I haven't worked here long enough or gotten to know the PI well enough for the letter to have the intended effect. If I wait for a substantial length of time to pass before the letter gets sent, then it will become a hold-up for all of my other app materials.

Should I still attempt to have the PI write a letter for me? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

After several months or so, you can ask for the PI to write a strong letter. You can add that letter to AMCAS and send a letter to individual schools to update your current activities with a letter submitted through AMCAS. In short, apply with what you already have. And then, add that letter later on to update.

If I am confident that I have multiple strong LORs, should I hesitate to submit all of them to schools? I have 7 individual letters submitted to AMCAS and realize that schools have specific requirements for their MD LORs (ie. Boston U requires 2 letters from sciences profs and a 3rd letter of choice); should I not submit any more than 3 in this case?

Thanks and good luck to all!

:love:

My college letter service says 6 letters as maximum, but some people might think that 7 letters are somewhat too many. Submit all the letters. Hopefully there is a box in secondary where you can specify which ones are by science profs and which ones are personal ones.

My committee leader told me they could not recommend me and so I should by-pass the letter for MD schools (thinks I am great for D.O.). I will still apply but with no committee letter. I know this will hurt my chances so what should I do?

Given my background, MCAT, and Gpa I have a 44-76 percent (from charts circulating) chance of acceptance but my school seems to think I do not qualify for a letter

URM male, sociology degree, Southern public university

MCAT: 24
PS 6 - I know.
V 10
BS 8

GPA: 3.5, 3.3sci

I am obviously not a great, or even good applicant but without a committee letter I am pretty much doomed despite having a slim chance for acceptance.

I have great individual letters from 2 science professors, research PI, sociology professor, hospital coordinator, and a MD doc otherwise.

Thoughts on bypassing committee letter and how to say you did not qualify?

THANKS A LOT.

I am not sure about bypassing a committee letter. Usually, they'll ask why you didn't get that letter even though your school has the committee. I would be honest and straightforward if they ask. If the committee already told you the reasons, I would say them, but first mention they could not recommend me for some reasons.

Either way, I am afraid that it might be a red flag. I would consider taking a gap year and retake MCAT next year as a plan B. My very first MCAT was 25, similar breakdown as yours, so I totally hear you.

Quick question.

I just realized I have an unsigned letter for one of my submissions.

If my writer reuploads the same but signed letter to Interfolio can I submit it again and overwrite the older AMCAS letter?

or do I have to create a new letter entry?

I am not sure about this, but I would call AMCAS just to make sure. Unsigned letters will be disregarded anyways by individual schools, so even if you have to create a new letter entry, I don't think it will be a big issue. But, I would check out the AMCAS Letter FAQ and if it's not there, I would contact them directly.

Applying next cycle, but I'm picking my classes right now that will determine who my science letter writers will be.

I've almost finished up my premed science requirements, but I didn't build strong relationships with the professors at all. Right now, I'm thinking about taking a class (listed under Human Biology) that deals with the humanities of medicine (e.g. patient's experience, doctor-patient relationships, death, sick children) that is taught by a medical school professor. Would his letter count as one of my science LORs?

I think it's more about the contents, rather than what department the course/professor was under. At least that's what my college letter service told me. In other words, I would not be surprised if that letter was counted as non-science letter. I would look for a hard science subject (Biology, Physics, or Chemistry) since there are quite a few schools that specify science letters as such.

Also, since my school doesn't have a committee, all my letters are individual. I have a range of letters since some universities want letters from specific people. Should I name the letters accordingly (IE: "Science Professor Letter", "Medical Doctor Letter", "Dean Letter", etc) or will they sort it out on the secondaries? I Didn't really think about it at first because I didn't realize how specific they were about some of the letter writers.

You can label them that way. I don't think it will matter much in the end, but it could be helpful for sorting out.

Hey Guys,

I think I'm kinda of screwed here, so the professor I took a class with and worked with as a student instructor with, can't start on my letter of recommendation until after September 10th. I have a letter of recommendation from a graduate student in the sciences, but I was told they don't hold the same weight as one from a lecturer or professor.

Could someone please let me know if a letter from a graduate student is fine or not? Unfortunately, this professor doesn't co-sign letters. Anyone else I ask for a letter, either doesn't know me as well or it will have been too long, since I graduated last December.

Thanks

Letter by grad students is fine. But since the professor doesn't co-sign the letters, I would not be surprised if some schools count them as personal letters, rather than science letters, because sometimes schools often specify letters to be written by faculties or professors. I would keep looking for another science letter writer just in case.

Does anyone know the answer to this? :confused: Who do you put as a primary author for the letter packet?

My school told me to put the person at the office that is sending the letter. They want to know who will be sending the packet I think.

Question about Interfolio...

My school's pre-health committee is a pain in the tush and refuses to send out letters before August because they're very "busy" (despite having said letter questionnaires filled out in FEBRUARY). Until a few days ago the Interfolio status has said "Pending"

I checked back yesterday, and again today, and noticed that the status now says "Converting". Does this mean they've uploaded it? How effing long does it take to convert a health committee letter to a pdf? (And yes, I've refreshed the page. Multiple times.) Anyone else had this issue?

My committee letter is a committee letter with some individual letters behind the committee letter.

How does this count toward a school's max number of LOR limit? e.g. if the limit is 5, is the committee packet including the additional letters all counting together as one letter, so I can send another 4? If there are 5 letters in the committee packet plus the committee letter itself, does this count as 6 letters and is over the limit?

Is there any difference between sending the committee letter itself as one letter in AMCAS, without the "packet" portion, and sending these other letters separately versus sending the committee packet as a committee letter in AMCAS? What if I send the committee letter and not all of the supporting letters in the packet?

Trying to decide between asking two people for a letter:

1) Staff/coordinator of a mentorship program for at risk students. Have worked with for May-June of two summers. Knows me better, but is probably not as experienced in writing letters.
2) Manager of charity program that I've had a minor role in continuously for two years. Doesn't know me too well, but already offered to write a letter. Is more experienced at writing letters.

Suggestions? In Ontario, referees are required to submit a form that asks them to rank you based on your percentile in certain traits (leadership, ability to relate to others, english fluency) which is my primary concern here.

Last edited:
Quick question, didn't see this in the FAQ:

Asked someone for a letter of rec, due date by 8/8, still haven't received it (hoping to rectify that by going in person today - was unable to due to out of town/teacher on vacation etc). Finished all my secondaries by within one week or less (before letter due date). Will having to wait on this LOR be a huge disadvantage? I know I need to get the secondaries in ASAP and have my file complete for interviews to be given out, and I also know it doesn't matter because the time has already passed, but would like an answer anyways.

Thanks. :)

I have a letter packet with a committee letter and two LOR (1 sci, 1 MD). I have a third letter on the way but the guy is taking forever (already been 3 months). Would it be an app killer to send my packet in with only a committee letter and the remaining 2 letters?

Hello everyone,

At the moment, I have two letters available on Interfolio, but they were written and submitted before I decided to apply through AMCAS. I see that I will have to add these referees on AMCAS for letter IDs to be assigned. My question however is whether or not these referees will need to rewrite the letters adding in the letter IDs or whether I can simply add the letter IDs on Interfolio before I sent the letters to AMCAS.

Thanks,
Cap

Hi,

I have one question.

A couple of my schools explicitly say do not send in your letters of recommendation until requested (so they want them with the secondary). I was not familiar with AMCAS, so I assigned all of my letters to schools the same day I submitted by primary application. Does anyone have any knowledge on how schools handle this? Should I be worried? Thanks for the help.

Hello! I really need some help :confused:

1. I'm in my third year but will be applying at the end of my fourth year
2. I asked my Bio TA if he could write the letter for me and have the professor sign it and he was happy to accept
3. I'm wondering how to ask the professor about this since I never actually spoke to him?
Do I just email him saying "Hello, I was in your class last semester. Would it be possible to have a meeting to discuss the future?" That sounds really weird but I want to say "recommendation" in person.

4. Do I have to write a personal statement right NOW to even ask?

I really want to sort this out quickly because I don't want to make the TA wait

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I have one question.

A couple of my schools explicitly say do not send in your letters of recommendation until requested (so they want them with the secondary). I was not familiar with AMCAS, so I assigned all of my letters to schools the same day I submitted by primary application. Does anyone have any knowledge on how schools handle this? Should I be worried? Thanks for the help.

Really? I've never seen that from a school before. Which schools? Bc in that case, I'm in the same boat as you.

I have a pretty bizarre question, but hopefully someone has some advice for me.

I am actually going to be a 2014-2015 applicant, and I shadowed a very experienced and well-known doctor this summer who I think will have many valuable things to say about me. The issue is, he is really up there in years and while I hate to have to think this way, I do want to make sure he writes my letter sooner rather than later for that reason (I'd rather not have to spell it out any more clearly than that). Anyway, as I understand it, letters actually can't be submitted for my application cycle until May of 2014! Is there any way he can file the letter earlier or perhaps schedule it to be sent out?

Hi,

So, it has been about 4 months since I asked one of my graduate school professor to write me letter of recommendation. I have already sent him couple of reminders. Also once I went to his office to remind him. But he still hasn't written one as of today.

I don't know what to do because he was willing to write me one. Now I am so confused and worried. Does it looks okay to tell him that I really in need of his LOR?

Last edited: