**Official MD/PhD 2008 Interview Invite Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VCU reimburses the hotel - on their website it mentions taking care of some air travel, we'll see.

MUSC reimburses hotel and transportation around Charleston.

LSU doesn't reimburse nothin' :(

South Carolina hasn't gotten their interview dates yet so nothing is set in stone. I doubt they'll cover anything.

As of right now, my UVM interview is MD-only (haven't reviewed MD-PhD apps yet). I don't care what they choose to do - they're a 2 hour drive away, my brother lives near there, and I know a place I can crash next to the school.

My less-than-20-hour trip to Nah'lins ran me about $350. Ouch.

Members don't see this ad.

hm, if we've been complete at cornell for a while, yet no status change, is it safe to assume a rejection? too early to worry?

If you're status hasnt changed I would not be worried at all. If you've been rejected it will say "The MDPhD office has mailed a final admissions decisions" which i sadly received.

If you're status hasnt changed I would not be worried at all. If you've been rejected it will say "The MDPhD office has mailed a final admissions decisions" which i sadly received.

im sorry to hear that! i have a suspicion that i will be seeing the same soon, but as of now, i am still "complete and under consideration."

its my first choice, so my heart races every time i check the status. time to write a letter of intent. hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU-New Orleans: Inuranic (invite 8/27, interview 10/3)
MUSC: Inuranic (invite 8/30, interview TBD)
University of Michigan Ann Arbor: j-weezy (invite 8/28, interview 10/25-26), solitude (invite 8/28, interview 10/25-26), revaldo29 (invite 8/30, interview 11/8-9)
NYU: MSTPBound (invite 8/15, interview 9/7), pennquaker08 (invite 8/21, interview 9/7)
University of Connecticut: GreenMudPhud (invite 8/29 for 10/1 or 10/29), MarcTam86 (invite 8/29 for 10/1 or 10/29)
University of Pittsburgh: meowkat444 (invite 8/28 for 9/27 although must reschedule), pennquaker08 (invite 8/28, interview 9/27)
University of South Carolina: Inuranic (invite 8/15, interview TBD)
University of Rochester: meowkat444 (invite 8/17, interview 9/26-9/27)
UTSW: jlamacc1 (invite 8/25, interview 9/21-22), pkr (invite 8/25, interview probably 9/21-22)
UT-Houston: StereoSanctity (invite 8/29, interview 10/11)
Vanderbilt: j-weezy (invite 9/4, interview 9/27-29)
VCU: Inuranic (invite 8/27, interview 11/5)
Weill Cornell Tri-Institutional: j-weezy (just checked status)

eep! I went from just having Michigan in like 2 months to having one in 3 weeks!

Would it be possible for people to mention the method in which the interview offer was extended?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard from Hopkins? I know that some MD-only folks have been invited to interview, but according to their website the MSTP starts interviewing on 9/20 and I haven't heard of anyone invited. I feel like they must have already invited people because it's pretty short notice by now.

so far all of mine have been by email - with the exception of Cornell which hasn't actually contacted me yet...

-j

Has anyone heard from Hopkins? I know that some MD-only folks have been invited to interview, but according to their website the MSTP starts interviewing on 9/20 and I haven't heard of anyone invited. I feel like they must have already invited people because it's pretty short notice by now.

Look at last year's interview thread (and another slightly older one that was used before the words "official" were added)...

Teerawit (Mr. Tee now I think) found out on 9/6 for an interview - not sure if that was for the first date however....but it may be that JHU thinks it's ok to let us know only a couple of weeks ahead (because hey they're Hopkins...)

You may still hear this week for the first date and if not, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon

-j

Look at last year's interview thread (and another slightly older one that was used before the words "official" were added)...

Teerawit (Mr. Tee now I think) found out on 9/6 for an interview - not sure if that was for the first date however....but it may be that JHU thinks it's ok to let us know only a couple of weeks ahead (because hey they're Hopkins...)

You may still hear this week for the first date and if not, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon

-j

Haha I appreciate your confidence, but if I'm hearing then you are definitely going to be hearing at the same time. I sure hope they notify us soon, although I guess it's easy for me to drive up there whereas it might be a little bit tougher for you :). Which reminds me that I need to buy those UMich plane tickets; have you gotten yours yet? Are you planning to arrive Wednesday afternoon like they said, or do you think it's OK to arrive in the early-mid evening?

geez, j-weezy and solitude... why don't you guys just go ahead and have "i'm a super star md/phd applicant" babies already?!

JUST KIDDING (Of course). you two are great applicants. and I truly appreciate your discussions... they are very helpful. Congrats on the interviews!!! :D

Those two make me feel bad about myself...and I have five interviews. How did you guys rack up those insane stats anyway?

*pop out of womb* "Now what do I need to do to get into Medical School..."

Those two make me feel bad about myself...and I have five interviews. How did you guys rack up those insane stats anyway?

Dude, imagine how I feel. I don't have ANY!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm not highly competitive for MDPhD, but I thought I had a chance.

I'm starting to regret all this stress just to be underpaid at an academic position.

Dude, imagine how I feel. I don't have ANY!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm not highly competitive for MDPhD, but I thought I had a chance.

I'm starting to regret all this stress just to be underpaid at an academic position.

1) It's still early, I don't think many of the schools you've applied to have handed out MD-PhD interviews, correct?

2) AT LEAST YOU'RE GOING FOR IT. You can never utter the phrase "I wonder what would have happened..."

In my book, that counts for a lot. I know for me, after I took the MCAT and thought I bombed, I was still insanely happy. I realized that I was actually trying for what I really wanted, and it felt good.

I'm pullin' for ya.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ruz - Yeah, all the work and extra years just to make less money (and be older at that!) than our peers. Ah the love of science.

solitude - I just bought my tickets yesterday after getting the letter in the mail on Saturday...I want the tickets to be free (and even almost two months in advance, $400 just barely covers my tickets) so the earlier, the better. I think because of where I'm leaving from, I'll arrive in Detroit at 4ish - but then we have to get to Ann Arbor (I'm not sure how far Ann Arbor is from Detroit) and I had a choice basically between 4ish and 7ish and the later seemed a little late (and I'd have the same departure time no matter what, just a longer connection layover)

everyone else - yeah, I feel pretty lucky right now....If people haven't heard from UMich, don't fret - I've been complete there for almost 2 months or something. I'm surprised at how quickly Vanderbilt invited me kinda like you Pitt people! I wish I heard from UTSW or Pitt already!!! Right now, I think the only advantage I have is how long I've been complete at some of these places especially considering lots of you have better stats than me...

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!

-j

p.s. If you're looking for entertainment, go to the pre-allo forum and read one of the threads about applying for MD/PhD then dropping the PhD as a backdoor in to notoriously difficult state schools

Ruz - you're stats are just fine!! You'll definitely be raking in the interviews in no time - I have no doubt.

Ruz - Yeah, all the work and extra years just to make less money (and be older at that!) than our peers. Ah the love of science.

solitude - I just bought my tickets yesterday after getting the letter in the mail on Saturday...I want the tickets to be free (and even almost two months in advance, $400 just barely covers my tickets) so the earlier, the better. I think because of where I'm leaving from, I'll arrive in Detroit at 4ish - but then we have to get to Ann Arbor (I'm not sure how far Ann Arbor is from Detroit) and I had a choice basically between 4ish and 7ish and the later seemed a little late (and I'd have the same departure time no matter what, just a longer connection layover)

everyone else - yeah, I feel pretty lucky right now....If people haven't heard from UMich, don't fret - I've been complete there for almost 2 months or something. I'm surprised at how quickly Vanderbilt invited me kinda like you Pitt people! I wish I heard from UTSW or Pitt already!!! Right now, I think the only advantage I have is how long I've been complete at some of these places especially considering lots of you have better stats than me...

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!

-j

p.s. If you're looking for entertainment, go to the pre-allo forum and read one of the threads about applying for MD/PhD then dropping the PhD as a backdoor in to notoriously difficult state schools

OK thanks for the info. I haven't gotten the letter in the mail so I'm waiting to buy tickets.

Ruz - you're stats are just fine!! You'll definitely be raking in the interviews in no time - I have no doubt.

I agree. You guys all have awesome stats (and other qualifications) and will get into great schools (5 interviews already!?). It's difficult, but you have to remember that stats are not really terribly important (as Maebea has harped on in here before) and that SDN is in no way representative of the applicant pool.

:laugh: this was pretty funny.

1) It's still early, I don't think many of the schools you've applied to have handed out MD-PhD interviews, correct?

2) AT LEAST YOU'RE GOING FOR IT. You can never utter the phrase "I wonder what would have happened..."

In my book, that counts for a lot. I know for me, after I took the MCAT and thought I bombed, I was still insanely happy. I realized that I was actually trying for what I really wanted, and it felt good.

I'm pullin' for ya.

I agree 100% with this post. At least when we are 40 (if we are alive) we won't ever tell our children or other ambitious youngins "you should try, I didn't try" that would eat me alive. so go us!

I don't mean this as an affront to anybody...we all have excellent things going for us and we'll all do quite well. That said, I have to tell you, and I'm sure you already know, numbers *clearly* are not everything. I have stats pretty similar to J-Weezy, for example (which makes me actually pretty typical of my school's MD/PhD applicant cohort), and yet people I know with yet better stats have no interviews yet. I have said it before, but my PI is a higher-up at the Penn MSTP (definitely high on my list...an amazing program) and he says that numbers are, in fact, just basically a way to get your foot in the door. As long as you have a decent GPA and MCATs in the double digits (at least on the science sections), you're good to go at Penn and your chances for an interview here become based on the subjective portions of your application. In other words, high numbers are nice, but at the end of the day you're not going to get an interview here based on them alone. My boss says that they're looking to build a class of potential leaders (apparently each school, in a somewhat Huxley-esque way, looks to assemble a particular cadre of personalities; here it's "leaders" they want--sounds like a spillover from the Wharton mentality to me :p...though I didn't ask what other "types" there may be) and so research accomplishments, extracurriculars, potential as gauged by essays and letters of recommendation, etc. become of prime importance. He continually reassures me that, at this point (i.e., post-primary), it is most important not to fret about the numbers anymore, but about the non-quantifiable aspects of one's dossier. So, to make a long story short, as long as you have /decent/ numbers, it is far more important to be an interesting, well-rounded, forward-looking person with a lot to offer. Take it straight from the horse's mouth, as it were: he's interviewed a lot of subpar personalities with stellar numbers (and thrown out even more applications where the personality shines through even in ways that we mere mortals may not anticipate), and I'll let you take a wild guess as to how they fare in comparsion to, as my grandparents would say, the "mensches" of the world...i.e., awesome people like you guys/gals :-D.

I agree, Penn.

For me, I just look at some of the people on here and think, how? I'm a pretty busy guy - it's in my personality to cram as much into the day as I can. I'm happy with what I've done. But there are some of these people on SDN that amaze me (the aforementioned J-weezy and Solitude, for instance).

I can only sit back and applaud their achievements. As for me, I took stock of my application and where I would want to live for 8 years, spent a lot of time researching schools, and feel I did pretty well choosing where to apply. My application is calculated and methodical. However, I look at some of the SDN Warlords and think, damn, their foot is in anywhere. It's like using a wrecking ball to bowl with...

I agree, Penn.

For me, I just look at some of the people on here and think, how? I'm a pretty busy guy - it's in my personality to cram as much into the day as I can. I'm happy with what I've done. But there are some of these people on SDN that amaze me (the aforementioned J-weezy and Solitude, for instance).

I can only sit back and applaud their achievements. As for me, I took stock of my application and where I would want to live for 8 years, spent a lot of time researching schools, and feel I did pretty well choosing where to apply. My application is calculated and methodical. However, I look at some of the SDN Warlords and think, damn, their foot is in anywhere. It's like using a wrecking ball to bowl with...

To me it seems you are just as deserving of applause as anybody else around here, so let's not lionize one another. Just remember...it's not over till it's over. I of course wish everyone the best in their application endeavors, but one is not accepted until s/he receives that golden envelope/e-mail/phone call/prophecy. No person is /entitled/ to an acceptance, so let's not give ourselves the hex ;).

I agree, Penn.

I think a lot of it is structural. I know that I personally have benefitted enormously from having a parent that is a physician-scientist and other family contacts within academia throughout my life. Aside from loads of motivation and support, it's helped me get research fellowships, etc., from a young age that built on each other and pretty soon I developed into a "wrecking ball" :). I think all of the people on this board who have done it without family support (or, gasp, with family discouragement) are awesome. :thumbup:

I have had a lot of other luck along the way too. Some people are lucky to get into certain undergrads that are arguably favored, lucky enough to get a 40 vs. a 33 (my spread was larger than this on practice MCATs), lucky enough to get a great PI in their first lab, a great project in their first lab, professors who are willing to take the time to write great recs, and so on and so on.

I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't worked hard, because I have. But as you said, we are all extremely busy, and sometimes to get the right grades or MCAT or do the right ECs, I have pushed myself to my detriment. My first two years were hellish and I basically missed out on nearly everything that is so fun about college life. My dad says I approach every semester like "sprinting a marathon" and that I should lighten up a bit. Thankfully I was able to do that in my junior year (and so far this year), and to retain my humanity even in those first two years. I don't know if it all has been worth it for my better stats, (arguably) better chances at acceptance, honors, etc. For better or worse, though, I have a compulsion to try my best in everything and so I probably couldn't have willingly changed my behavior much (I'm sort of a fatalist).

I think it's safe to say that all of us posting on this thread will get into great programs and do great in life. It will be the ones who catch a few sunsets and hold a few pretty girls' hands along the way that will be happiest at the end of the road.

I think a lot of it is structural. I know that I personally have benefitted enormously from having a parent that is a physician-scientist and other family contacts within academia throughout my life. Aside from loads of motivation and support, it's helped me get research fellowships, etc., from a young age that built on each other and pretty soon I developed into a "wrecking ball" :). I think all of the people on this board who have done it without family support (or, gasp, with family discouragement) are awesome. :thumbup:

I have had a lot of other luck along the way too. Some people are lucky to get into certain undergrads that are arguably favored, lucky enough to get a 40 vs. a 33 (my spread was larger than this on practice MCATs), lucky enough to get a great PI in their first lab, a great project in their first lab, professors who are willing to take the time to write great recs, and so on and so on.

I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't worked hard, because I have. But as you said, we are all extremely busy, and sometimes to get the right grades or MCAT or do the right ECs, I have pushed myself to my detriment. My first two years were hellish and I basically missed out on nearly everything that is so fun about college life. My dad says I approach every semester like "sprinting a marathon" and that I should lighten up a bit. Thankfully I was able to do that in my junior year (and so far this year), and to retain my humanity even in those first two years. I don't know if it all has been worth it for my better stats, (arguably) better chances at acceptance, honors, etc. For better or worse, though, I have a compulsion to try my best in everything and so I probably couldn't have willingly changed my behavior much (I'm sort of a fatalist).

I think it's safe to say that all of us posting on this thread will get into great programs and do great in life. It will be the ones who catch a few sunsets and hold a few pretty girls' hands along the way that will be happiest at the end of the road.

I like that solitude is being really honest and open about it: family background, connections, and luck are extremely important. Hard work is essential, but every aspiring MSTP candidate does it anyway. I don't have great family support - heck, my folks barely speak English and no one went to college. I wasn't expected to go to college either, but I knew I wanted something more. I don't have any connection, but I have been lucky - I was able to gain great research/ clinical/ volunteer experiences because people were there to help me, offer me a position in their lab/ clinic, and write me good letters. They didn't have to, but they did. They could have easily offer those things to people with better qualifications... but they chose me. For what reason I will never know, but I am forever grateful for their kindness. I know I have been incredibly lucky. It was a great journey, travelling across the United States, working at different places, meeting people, and learning about myself. I learned a lot and experienced a lot. No matter what happens down the road, I am grateful that I have gone through all these. I hope you guys will also find your journey to prepare for a medical scientist career a fulfilling one.

J-weezy,
Do you know how long your app was under review at Cornell before they changed your status?

CCLCM: MSTPbound(invite 9/4, interview TBD)
University of Michigan Ann Arbor: j-weezy (invite 8/28, interview 10/25-26), solitude (invite 8/28, interview 10/25-26), revaldo29 (invite 8/30, interview 11/8-9)
NYU: MSTPBound (invite 8/15, interview 9/7), pennquaker08 (invite 8/21, interview 9/7)
University of Connecticut: GreenMudPhud (invite 8/29 for 10/1 or 10/29), MarcTam86 (invite 8/29 for 10/1 or 10/29)
University of Pittsburgh: meowkat444 (invite 8/28 for 9/27 although must reschedule), pennquaker08 (invite 8/28, interview 9/27)
UTSW: jlamacc1 (invite 8/25, interview 9/21-22), pkr (invite 8/25, interview probably 9/21-22)

J-weezy,
Do you know how long your app was under review at Cornell before they changed your status?

I was complete 7/25 and only that late because I never emailed them my list of MD/PhD recommenders. I'm not sure when exactly my status changed since I just checked it one morning (last Wednesday or Thursday?) and it said invited for MD/PhD interview.

I hope that helps! From reading last year's interview thread, people were still hearing from Cornell well into October (for the November interview date)...

Don't fret Picklesali! What's funny is that as soon as school started and I stopped thinking all day about hearing back from schools (either for receiving secondaries or completion status or interviews), I started getting good news.

Hang in there, I know you're going to do awesome.

-j

How do you guys arrange your interviews, especially if you have multiple ones (say, 5)? I am thinking about doing one per week so I won't exhaust myself. However, I may do two per week after I get used to the whole thing (that's, if I do have that many interviews:D) and when the interview season gets late... I think I will start doing two per week starting from late Oct before all the seats are filled. What do you guys think?

For the Pitt people--how long did it take to hear from them once you were complete? My second recommender filled out the form yesterday and now it says I am complete. Thanks a bunch.

TP

For the Pitt people--how long did it take to hear from them once you were complete? My second recommender filled out the form yesterday and now it says I am complete. Thanks a bunch.

TP

It was kind of weird in that I received my interview invite before the MD supplemental page said I was complete. It was maybe 4-5 business days after my MD/PhD status page said I was complete. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.

Cornell rejected me also. sigh.

NYU: MSTPBound (invite 8/15, interview 9/7), pennquaker08 (invite 8/21, interview 9/7), MarcTam86 (invite 9/5, interview 9/21)

Sorry to hear about Cornell...I'm sure my rejection is coming soon as well (as of now, I'm still "under consideration," but my app was complete later than yours probably).

But congrats on NYU! I'm leaving tomorrow after class for my interviews there. I'm quite nervous!

I appreciate all of your support. But just to let you know, I was kidding. I can't imagine myself doing anything else but translational medicine.

Even in my daily life I'm only really serious ~5% of the time (much to the dismay of my ex-girlfriend). In the future, if I ever bitch and complain, and its not in CAPS, then I'm joking.

On a serious note though (even though its not in CAPS), I really like the support in these threads. The MD threads are mostly just mocking each other and insulting one another.

I'm done spamming the Interview thread just because I'm not on it, I promise.

Sorry to hear about Cornell...I'm sure my rejection is coming soon as well (as of now, I'm still "under consideration," but my app was complete later than yours probably).

But congrats on NYU! I'm leaving tomorrow after class for my interviews there. I'm quite nervous!

WOW - good luck! tell us how it goes!

I appreciate all of your support. But just to let you know, I was kidding. I can't imagine myself doing anything else but translational medicine.

Even in my daily life I'm only really serious ~5% of the time (much to the dismay of my ex-girlfriend). In the future, if I ever bitch and complain, and its not in CAPS, then I'm joking.

On a serious note though (even though its not in CAPS), I really like the support in these threads. The MD threads are mostly just mocking each other and insulting one another.

I'm done spamming the Interview thread just because I'm not on it, I promise.

I agree! The MD threads are always putting each other down. I love this forum. Everybody is so supportive and helpful.

I'm done spamming too.

its cool, it was a reach anyway, so its understandable. good luck to you though!

im excited about NYU! Is it your first? Good luck! and if you could PM me with what you remember about the interview, Id really appreciate it. Have a good time in New York!

How do you guys arrange your interviews, especially if you have multiple ones (say, 5)? I am thinking about doing one per week so I won't exhaust myself. However, I may do two per week after I get used to the whole thing (that's, if I do have that many interviews:D) and when the interview season gets late... I think I will start doing two per week starting from late Oct before all the seats are filled. What do you guys think?

I think this really depends whether or not you are a full time student and how far you are from the school in question. If you aren't full time and are already in the NE, you've got it made....I on the other hand must add a full day of travel (just about) for each school and as a full time student, missing even 2 or 3 days a week for multiple weeks in a row will really have an effect (I'm waiting until I have a real conflict before I even mention to my profs how much school I may miss). In the long run however, having too many interviews should be the least of y(our) concerns.

-j

Thanks... I need to go to work though, so I am thinking about how to spin that to my boss that "I can do things just as well 'at home'" :D

How do you check your Tri-I status? Is it online?

I think this really depends whether or not you are a full time student and how far you are from the school in question. If you aren't full time and are already in the NE, you've got it made....I on the other hand must add a full day of travel (just about) for each school and as a full time student, missing even 2 or 3 days a week for multiple weeks in a row will really have an effect (I'm waiting until I have a real conflict before I even mention to my profs how much school I may miss). In the long run however, having too many interviews should be the least of y(our) concerns.

-j

absolutely argree with you. Just a quick question: Anybody knows when is the PEAK interview period? November, December or what? Thanks.

absolutely argree with you. Just a quick question: Anybody knows when is the PEAK interview period? November, December or what? Thanks.

There is a 3-month-long peak, November-December-Janaury. In general, schools in the East interview earlier, while those in the West go later.

The peak, more like a mesa, used to be later, but the advent of electronic applications, the MD-PhD essays on the AMCAS, and the desire of programs to get through the interview season earlier & make a good first impression on applicants, have all conspired to push the start date of the season earlier. Our program's interview season has now ends 6 weeks earlier than it did 10 years ago.

Paradoxically, the earlier end to the interview season has not resulted in a similar movement of the end of the admissions season. We used to have our class set with one or two exceptions by April 15 Now, the rule is May 15, or even a bit later. Five or six weeks later, applications for the next year's class roll in, and the cycle renews.

Hopkins: solitude (invite 9/6, interview 9/20-21)
NYU: MSTPBound (invite 8/15, interview 9/7), pennquaker08 (invite 8/21, interview 9/7), MarcTam86 (invite 9/5, interview 9/21)
Weill Cornell Tri-Institutional: j-weezy (just checked status), solitude (don't know yet)

Got a call this morning from Hopkins for two weeks from today :eek: