Official No Interviews/Rejection Thread 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get flamed to death and accused of being a whiny brat but I am really curious who else out there on SDN has not received any interviews or were flat out rejected this cycle.

# of schools applied: 12, rejected from UCSF, no other interviews offered
Notification date:
Method of notification:
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/27
Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall): 3.41, 3.44
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23 AA/24 TS/23 PAT/23 RC/none below 17

Members don't see this ad.

I only e-submitted last week but your post has me worried! Your stats seem pretty good but there are obviously lots of other factors. How are your EC's and letters? Are there any red flags on your application?

I only e-submitted last week but your post has me worried! Your stats seem pretty good but there are obviously lots of other factors. How are your EC's and letters? Are there any red flags on your application?
Not that I know of. I had 200 shadowing hours and about 100 volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only September, we got a loooooooong way to go.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you apply to some private schools? I think your stats are competitive for MWU, Nova, LECOM, Roseman, and maybe NYU

Haven't heard anything from San Antonio or Houston yet. Anyone same boat and is a TX resident?

What do you mean? How long does the waiting process go for?

If I haven't heard anything from UCSF yet, should I be worried?

UCSF apparently sent out a bunch of interviews and rejections yesterday. If you didn't hear anything, this could be seen as either or bad, depending on what type of applicant you are. I am going to speculate that not hearing anything by now means you're not on the schools "A list", but they still want to keep your app around for further review/comparison until they have seen them all. This is of course assuming you know the school is indeed sending out interview invites and rejections, which some still are not.

I'm probably going to get flamed to death and accused of being a whiny brat but I am really curious who else out there on SDN has not received any interviews or were flat out rejected this cycle.

Notification date:
Method of notification:
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23 AA/24 TS/23 PAT/23 RC/none below 17

you and I have pretty much similar stats, you got very slightly higher gpa, I have slightly higher AA, but lower PAT.
I too was very anxious until I got my first invite today from NOVA. I really didn't expect it this early because I am a late applicant (9/5 mailout)
There's nothing much you can do but to be patient. We are all freaking out, it's not just you.

OP has 23 DAT. Chill out

Reactions: 1 users
OP can you tell us your school list?

Lets say if you applied to UCSF, UCLA, Harvard, UPENN, and Columbia, I wouldn't be surprised that you haven't heard anything yet.

OP can you tell us your school list?

Lets say if you applied to UCSF, UCLA, Harvard, UPENN, and Columbia, I wouldn't be surprised that you haven't heard anything yet.
I did apply to those but I also applied to some "lower tier" schools such as tufts, bu, unlv, uop, western, lecom, USC, etc.

I thought some schools don't usually start sending out acceptances until December? I'm sure you'll be fine with stats like yours, unless you're just supremely unlucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did apply to those but I also applied to some "lower tier" schools such as tufts, bu, unlv, uop, western, lecom, USC, etc.

As far as I know, Tufts and USC did not send out anything yet.

UOP only sent out a couple of invites so far.

Also western sent out an e-mail a week ago to me that said, "My application is still with the committee...." Did you also get this e-mail? If so, it probably has not been reviewed yet.

Unless there is some red flag on your app, I am willing to bet money that you will get invites very soon.

My stats are similar to OP except NY resident. I have interviews from LECOM and New England but haven't heard a peep from any other schools except a few saying that I'm "under active review" (Western included). I applied to 25 schools, so 23 schools haven't said anything to me. I really don't think it's cause for concern.

I also was the first batch and haven't heard from any of the schools I've applied. No rejection, no interview. So depressing to see all other applicants getting early invites. I am a Canadian applicant so a little concerned about my prospect. GPA above 3.9, AA 22

I also was the first batch and haven't heard from any of the schools I've applied. No rejection, no interview. So depressing to see all other applicants getting early invites. I am a Canadian applicant so a little concerned about my prospect. GPA above 3.9, AA 22
What schools did you apply to? I have same DAT, much lower GPA and am Canadian too...I have received invites from some schools already. I'm surprised you haven't heard anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I already have 1 rejection considering I have an upwards trend and they won't even wait for my DAT scores. My sGPA is 3.06, masters sGPA 3.8, DAT AA-19, TS-19, PAT-19. I am re-taking the DAT in a few weeks and I know that I'll definitely get 20+. I did a masters (smp) in a medical school where the course curriculum is similar to M1s and M2s. These are also the same courses that D1s and D2s take in dental school. I have 3000+ hours of volunteering, I have work experience, 500+ hours shadowing, research experience, amongst the top in my masters, I have taken several upper level courses (a&p, pharm, physio, biochem, molec and cell biology, histology, etc), and I have a strong upwards trend in last 2 years of undergrad and my 1 year masters. There has to be a mistake! Here is the message I received yesterday:

Thank you for your interest in the UNLV School of Dental Medicine. This year we anticipate over twenty-three hundred applications for the seventy-five positions available. This large number of highly qualified applicants makes admission to the School of Dental Medicine extremely competitive. While this is a positive situation for the school, it does necessitate numerous difficult decisions for the Admissions Committee. After careful review of your application, the Admissions committee has arrived at the decision to not consider your application further.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016 admission, you must reapply through AADSAS.

The following information is included to give you an understanding of what the Admissions Committee considers when selecting candidates. Likewise, it is intended to assist you in determining the areas in which you need improvement and/or additional experiences. Please keep in mind these are general recommendations. Not all of the suggestions will pertain to your specific application.

• In addition to completing the prerequisite courses, anatomy, physiology, histology, sculpture, public speaking, psychology, business and computer classes will be helpful.
  • Not only does the Admissions Committee value academic success but we consider practical experience to be enormously beneficial as well. This may include working as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or merely observing or shadowing in a dental or other health related practice.
  • Over 90% of our matriculated students have a 4 year degree or higher. Many of our strongest candidates are enrolled in or have completed graduate level studies in the sciences, an experience that has provided them with a broader, more comprehensive foundation for the rigors of a dental curriculum.
  • A supplemental essay is often valuable in explaining vague, inconsistent, or unique areas of a candidate’s application or curriculum vitae. Candidates may discuss their participation in activities that demonstrate their manual dexterity - sculpting, painting, dental lab work, etc.
On the whole, the Admissions Committee at UNLV seeks to enroll well-rounded students. Those students exhibiting strong communication skills, maturity, community participation, a knowledge of and a strong commitment to Dental Medicine, in addition to academic strength, will be considered most competitive. We thank you for the time and effort you put into the application process and offer our best wishes for your success.

I already have 1 rejection considering I have an upwards trend and they won't even wait for my DAT scores. My sGPA is 3.06, masters sGPA 3.8, DAT AA-19, TS-19, PAT-19. I am re-taking the DAT in a few weeks and I know that I'll definitely get 20+. I did a masters (smp) in a medical school where the course curriculum is similar to M1s and M2s. These are also the same courses that D1s and D2s take in dental school. I have 3000+ hours of volunteering, I have work experience, 500+ hours shadowing, research experience, amongst the top in my masters, I have taken several upper level courses (a&p, pharm, physio, biochem, molec and cell biology, histology, etc), and I have a strong upwards trend in last 2 years of undergrad and my 1 year masters. There has to be a mistake! Here is the message I received yesterday:

Thank you for your interest in the UNLV School of Dental Medicine. This year we anticipate over twenty-three hundred applications for the seventy-five positions available. This large number of highly qualified applicants makes admission to the School of Dental Medicine extremely competitive. While this is a positive situation for the school, it does necessitate numerous difficult decisions for the Admissions Committee. After careful review of your application, the Admissions committee has arrived at the decision to not consider your application further.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016 admission, you must reapply through AADSAS.

The following information is included to give you an understanding of what the Admissions Committee considers when selecting candidates. Likewise, it is intended to assist you in determining the areas in which you need improvement and/or additional experiences. Please keep in mind these are general recommendations. Not all of the suggestions will pertain to your specific application.

• In addition to completing the prerequisite courses, anatomy, physiology, histology, sculpture, public speaking, psychology, business and computer classes will be helpful.
  • Not only does the Admissions Committee value academic success but we consider practical experience to be enormously beneficial as well. This may include working as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or merely observing or shadowing in a dental or other health related practice.
  • Over 90% of our matriculated students have a 4 year degree or higher. Many of our strongest candidates are enrolled in or have completed graduate level studies in the sciences, an experience that has provided them with a broader, more comprehensive foundation for the rigors of a dental curriculum.
  • A supplemental essay is often valuable in explaining vague, inconsistent, or unique areas of a candidate’s application or curriculum vitae. Candidates may discuss their participation in activities that demonstrate their manual dexterity - sculpting, painting, dental lab work, etc.
On the whole, the Admissions Committee at UNLV seeks to enroll well-rounded students. Those students exhibiting strong communication skills, maturity, community participation, a knowledge of and a strong commitment to Dental Medicine, in addition to academic strength, will be considered most competitive. We thank you for the time and effort you put into the application process and offer our best wishes for your success.

Where else did you apply? Don't sweat that rejection too much, you have solid stats, honestly I wouldn't even re-take the DAT personally

Where else did you apply? Don't sweat that rejection too much, you have solid stats, honestly I wouldn't even re-take the DAT personally

I applied to 21 other schools. Yea some others have said that I don't need to take it too, but I gotta take it to get in. I'll definitely get interviews but for me to get admission its going to require something around 21-24+.

That is crazy!! How are people with such stellar stats getting rejected. I would not say your DAT is low especially considering your upward trend over the past two years. I don't understand what these schools want nowadays. I just got rejected from UNLV yesterday too but my GPA is not even close to yours so I can understand why even though my DAT scores are higher.

But honestly that's crazy that they would not even invite you for an interview.

My complete application was sent out to my schools on 09/05. Three weeks later, I haven't heard anything, which can be both good (no rejections yet) or bad. The later it gets, the more worried I am whether I'll be getting an interview, let alone at least a pre-dec interview. Trying to hang in there! :nailbiting:

My application was sent out on 7/11 and I've only gotten the invite to do the UF supplemental. Literally nothing else.....just waiting. :whistle:

Application sent 7/7 and only interviewed at LECOM on 9/9. Other than that I've heard nothing from the other 21 schools :nailbiting:

Notification date:
Method of notification:
How did you get rejected from UCSF? Was your DAT too high?
I've a lower GPA and DAT and yet to here from them. Plus I'm out of state, guess it's over for me then.

With the number of applicants, there may be people with similar stats, but maybe just a bit better.