***Official OMS 2022 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piratewow

OMFS Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone that matched. Let's pay it forward for the future classes. Good luck everyone!

Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
CBSE scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
GPA:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Program Matched: Shreveport 6 year
Dental School Attended: UTSD Houston
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE scores: 85+
Class Ranking/Size: 15-20 /110
Externship(s)/where: Houston, TAMU, Shreveport 6 weeks total
Research: Involved throughout but no publications
Extracurriculars: OMFS club, some conferences
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 23/16/11/9. Matched to #1.

In person interviews were definitely fun for getting to know everyone and getting a real feel for the program culture. Honestly felt it was a bit hard to evaluate programs that were virtual that I had not externed at. But talking with fellow applicants from those schools was definitely very helpful on getting the inside scoop. Happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: 8 users
Military match but I'll throw my information just to throw some wood in the fire and give some reference for some people looking to match straight into military also.

Program Matched: Navy
Dental School Attended: State School
International Student (yes/no): N/A
CBSE scores: 215-220
Class Ranking/Size: Top 30%
Externship(s)/where: Home program, no other in-persons due to COVID. Went to every single virtual one possible.
Research: 2 accepted pubs, couple under review, bunch of posters and abstracts
Extracurriculars: OMFS Club, volunteer dirty tooth shucker, lot of in person and online conferences
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: Military match is a little different, matched to top choice

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those who participated in the interview and match process this year.

We are conducting a survey involving program directors and applicants to assess the use of virtual interviews on assessing programs and applicants and the ranking process. We would like to formulate guidelines for programs that reflect applicant concerns. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey, which can be found on the AAOMS Resident COVID-19 Connect Page at COVID-19 Updates | AAOMS

Or a direct link: OMS Applicant Survey

Program Matched: NYC Hospital 4yr
Dental School Attended: NYU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE scores: ~68
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 3 externships in the northeast
Research: participated in research expos during dental school, publications/case reports during internships
Extracurriculars: Many - largely social clubs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 40/2/2/1

3rd time applicant, 2 noncats. Amount of interviews I had each year decreased (10 -> 4 -> 2) but all you need is one. Always go the extra mile, be willing to sacrifice personal desires & comforts, and remember to keep your head up on the more difficult days. People notice the little things.

I remember being crushed in dental school when I didn't match and I now appreciate the value in going through this process. The support system I had throughout my journey was incredible but the most important conversation you have everyday is with yourself! Very excited to join the profession and continue the grind.

Reactions: 25 users
Program Matched: 6 year Texas state school
Dental School Attended: Penn State
CBSE scores: 75+
Class Ranking/Size: No ranking. Only GPA 3.9+
Externship(s)/where: TAMU, Parkland, Louisville, Jefferson, home program
Research: 3 pubs, number of posters/abstracts, some awards.
Extracurriculars: Tutoring, intermural sports etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 55/34/26/25

Applied to a lot due to couples matching. Matched at our top program. DM me if anyone has any questions about matching as a couple.

My class was very collaborative when it came to interviews. If someone was going to reject an interview, they’d tell everyone, and whoever wanted to interview at that program would quickly draft up an email to send right after the person rejected the interview. It worked on a number of occasions, and in the end we all matched where we wanted to be. Work together -that’s my big tip.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Program Matched: Midwest 6 year
Dental School Attended: Midwest State school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022 (Hopefully)
International Student (yes/no): Nada
CBSE scores: 253
Class Ranking/Size: 20/55
GPA/uGPA: 3.68/3.28
Externship(s)/where: UNMC, Louisville, Parkland, Mayo, Shreveport, & UT Knoxville (*Matched where I externed)
Research: No pubs, 2 manuscripts waiting publication, and 2 research assistant op.
Extracurriculars: ASDA, ADEA, OMFS tingz, community service, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 40/16/15/15/ Matched numero uno

I'm not always fond of people who give out unsolicited advice.........here's some advice. I started out my first semester with terrible grades, realized I needed to get my **** together and started hustling my second semester and didn't give up. Rank went from 42 to 20 by the time I applied and programs took notice, so it's never too late. Furthermore, I didn't have a bachelors degree and my uGPA was horrendous, so finished my B.S. in Biology during D3 year, worked hard to consistently rank top 10 in my class the following semesters, studied hard for the CBSE, and kept my head down and tried to stay grounded the entire time. As I'm sure many people have witnessed, it can get dark and studying this hard for something you want that bad can really take a toll on you, so always make sure to take some time for yourself. Match is 90% hard work and 10% luck imo. You have to stay humble, grounded, and have to understand how to sell yourself as a strong applicant without coming off arrogant or looking like a kiss ass. Its a fine line and something I had to practice, since I wasn't good at talking (in general).

If you can display your strengths, admit your weakness (and explain how you're working on them), show them grit, and still stay humble, I believe you'll have the formula for success and will not only serve you well for match but also in life. Honestly just want to help anyone that was in the same boat as me when I was a D2 or D3. I rmbr scouring sdn, constantly looking for advice, and tho sdn is like being in a relationship with Kanye west, it has given me lots of information that has gotten me where I am today and truly thank this forum and it's people for that. So if anyone is in a similar situation as me, or needs some advice on programs and application (and by NO means am I the god of match), feel free to reach out to me and I will do my best to answer all questions.

The match process can be crippling at times, but damn is it rewarding when you finally see that "Congratulations...." in your inbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Pasting over from the other thread:

Program Matched: Nova/Broward Health
Dental School Attended: Penn
International Student (yes/no): Canadian
CBSE scores: 217
Class Ranking/Size: Unranked
Externship(s)/where: 6/ Monte, Houston, San Antonio, Shreveport, Nova, Penn
Research: 1 Pub, 1 poster
Extracurriculars: Clubs, Entrepreneurship
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: ~40/12/12/12 - Matched to my 1

This was such a grueling process and I had hit the highest highs and the lowest lows. Being Canadian added another variable to the equation and there were a few times I felt defeated. That being said, I wanted to ensure I put my best foot forward and look back telling myself "I did everything I could in my power." I stayed proactive, networked with residents and pushed through. Having a good support system really helped me; I am lucky to have such great friends and family who helped me through the difficult times. Luckily in the end everything worked out the way I wanted and I am beyond thrilled to have matched, let alone matched to my 1. Should anyone have any questions, feel free to reach out. Cheers!

Last edited:
Program Matched: 6-Year Southern Program
Dental School Attended: State School
CBSE scores: 220+
Class Ranking/Size: 1/85 (tied with a couple others)
GPA: 4.0
Externship(s)/where: Home program + 3 others
Research: No publications, few posters/abstracts, involved with multiple projects
Extracurriculars: Class leadership, community service, tutoring, clubs, speaking opportunities, OMFS stuff. I also worked for a test prep company for most of my time in dental school, but I don't think this had any impact on my application.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 23/16/16/15

A few of my thoughts for posterity.

Like many others, SDN has helped me a ton in the last few years. I have literally read these match threads from the past 3+ years to find out what advice those that matched had to give to future applicants. With that being said, I think It can be really easy for applicants to feel discouraged when going through the process, especially while studying for the CBSE and during interview season. My biggest advice is to stop comparing yourself to others and simply do YOUR best. Comparison is the thief of joy and I'm sure many others who have gone through this process can relate to that.

Next, please consider your rank list very carefully. I know that seems obvious, but at the end of the interview trail it was easy to come up with 2 to 3 programs I loved, 1 or 2 I didn't like, and then a lot of great programs that were somewhere in the middle. I initially didn't think too much about the middle of the list simply because I had often heard that "everyone matches at their top 3", or "You are more likely to go unmatched than drop lower than 5 on your list", and my personal favorite "you are a fantastic applicant and will match wherever you want to go". Many people do match further down their list, so it's to your benefit to think about each and every program you rank as a real possibility that you'll end up there.

My last piece of advice is don't read much into post-interview interactions or communication from PDs. Some programs may say they don't reach out to applicants after interviews and then do it. Others may send emails, or call applicants letting them know that are being considered/ranked highly. Don't let yourself think that these messages mean you are guaranteed to match there. Too many people I know this cycle, received those sorts of communications and did not match into those programs. Instead, take that communication for what it is - a kind and flattering message from a program that liked you.

Work hard, be kind, and don't be a gunner.

- Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Program Matched: 6 year Texas state school
CBSE scores: 77
Class Ranking/Size: No ranking. Only GPA 3.9+
Externship(s)/where: TAMU, Parkland, Louisville, Jefferson, home program
Research: 3 pubs, number of posters/abstracts, some awards.
Extracurriculars: Tutoring, intermural sports etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 55/34/26/25

Applied to a lot due to couples matching. Matched at our top program. DM me if anyone has any questions about matching as a couple.

My class was very collaborative when it came to interviews. If someone was going to reject an interview, they’d tell everyone, and whoever wanted to interview at that program would quickly draft up an email to send right after the person rejected the interview. It worked on a number of occasions, and in the end we all matched where we wanted to be. Work together -that’s my big tip.
Stud

Reactions: 1 user
Program Matched: South 6-year
Dental School Attended: State school
CBSE scores: 230 - 235
Class Ranking/Size: Top 5%
GPA: 3.97
Externship(s)/where: Home program, two other in person
Research: 4 publications, many presentations and abstracts
Extracurriculars: community service, tutoring, clubs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 22/16/15/15

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Program Matched: Oklahoma 4-year
Dental School Attended: University of Toronto
International Student (yes/no): Canadian
CBSE scores: 249
Externship(s)/where: 4/ knoxville, Parkland, Boston, UAB
Research: 1 Publication, a couple more in the works yet to be published
Extracurriculars: leadership positions,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: ~48/8/8/ Matched to top 3.

Thoughts from a canadian prespective: going thru this as a canadian is like playing a video game on elite mode. It was hell. Especially because schools in canada don't position you well to succeed in this process due to lack luster time spent on OS rotations, and mediocor reference letters from unknown faculty. Having said that, it's still possible. No time to whine, get to work, stand out, be a good extern (listen to everyday oral surgery pod with Stephen mcleod), and you'll have a solid shot.

Program Matched: NY 6 year
Dental School Attended: NY dental school
CBSE scores: 80+
Class Ranking/Size: no ranking
GPA: no GPA
Externship(s)/where: NYU (twice), MGH, many OR shadowing/assisting hours at home program, (Virtual: Mount Sinai, UMD, Michigan)
Research: multiple publications and poster presentations. worked on 3 clinical trials
Extracurriculars: ASDA leadership role, served on schools curriculum board, undergraduate tutor, ADEA, OMFS journal club, OMFS trauma rounds, head and neck tumor board,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 27/13/11/11/1

One piece of advice I have is to take a "dry run" CBSE. I took it winter of D2 after studying for 2-3 weeks and was happy with my score for the amount of studying I put in. From this, I knew the format of the test and how questions would be asked. I carried my study strategies through for my exam in D3 summer and was happy with the result.

Always happy to answer questions if people have them. Feel free to DM any time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1643220052755.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Program Matched: 6 year Texas school
Dental School Attended: A west coast school
CBSE scores: 80+
Class Ranking/Size: Top 20%
GPA: 3.8
Externship(s)/where: Baylor, UAB, and Mayo
Research: A ton of unique research from undergrad and did some OMFS research in dental school. Research honors in dental school
Extracurriculars: TONS of community service, ASDA leadership, in a DDS/MS track, class president. Nothing really OMFS related which I like to think made me well rounded.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 38/33/15/14

This entire application process plays with your mind in ways you never expected. I have met so many amazing people and I know I will keep in touch with several. Before the application cycle started, I dreamed about my program and never thought in a million years I would end up matching there. I got interviews at places I only dreamed of and did not get interviews at places I thought I would. The cycle is unpredictable and it can be hard to gage the different attributes programs value.

Many of you reading this will be applying in future cycles and I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we look forward to meeting you as externs and future applicants.

If anyone has any questions PLEASE reach out to any one of us, I know we all found support during the process.

Reactions: 5 users
Program Matched: West Coast 4yr
CBSE scores: 215-220
Class Ranking/Size: Unranked, GPA 3.9+
Externship(s)/where: 4 weeks in person, 5 virtual
Research: None
Extracurriculars: entrepreneurship, class pres, club leadership, community service.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 33/13/13/13

Super excited and grateful to match!

Thanks to the people who have posted stats in past threads, it has helped me over the years to prepare for applications.

The unique part about applying to OMFS is the opportunity to set yourself apart with the CBSE. I took it multiple times until I got a good score, and it was totally worth the effort. No shame in taking it multiple times. It seems like scores are going up, so it’s more important than ever to do your research on how to study effectively and efficiently for this test. Everyone learns differently, so the best way to gauge your progress is to take practice NBME tests.

I would also recommend to apply to as many programs as possible. I probably would have applied to 50-60 if I had to do it over again. Spend the extra couple thousand to secure some more interviews and increase your odds of matching.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions, I’m happy to help!

Program Matched: East Coast 6yr
CBSE scores: 220-230
Class Ranking/Size: top 1/3 of ~100
Externship(s)/where: Parkland, OHSU 1 week each
Research: assistant on one small project
Extracurriculars: Pretty much just OMFS club, some service stuff during and before undergrad
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/ranked position: 34/12/12/12/2

Doing a dry run of the CBSE is an excellent strategy but I really only wanted to take it once. I took it immediately after D1, studied like crazy through the summer and was happy with my score. The relief of having that out of the way early and not having to think about it anymore was huge. The other side of the coin is that my score was excellent then but scores kept increasing and it wasn’t as stand-out when I applied as I thought it would be when I got it.

Additional advice is to take building relationships with your OMFS faculty seriously. I was shown my letters of rec at an interview (won’t give more details than that) so I know for sure that they were good and a couple PDs told me that they were a key factor for me getting an interview/being ranked.

I’ll also echo that there’s a lot of randomness to the cycle, I never would have picked out the list of programs I interviewed at. Put the work in up front for your score and rank and interviews, then hope for the best and go with the flow cause there’s a point where you have no more control and there’s no point in stressing about it.

Program Matched: 6-year Midwest
Dental School Attended: Northern New England
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022 (MPH in 2018)
International Student (yes/no): N
CBSE scores: 215
Class Ranking/Size: unranked but supposedly top 1/3
GPA: N/A
Externship(s)/where: UAB, UConn, BMC, Nebraska, UNC, Rutgers
Research: Spent most of post-undergrad life doing research; Honors Research in dental school
Extracurriculars: OMFS president, TA in sim lab/anatomy, started a dissection elective, volunteer work, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 36/9/9/9/1

My school isn't catered towards putting out OMFS candidates, which made it a bit more difficult with how much clinic time was required of us, plus the studying I needed to do. I took the CBSE twice.

I'm gonna echo what everyone before me has said:
(1) Your LORs matter a lot. Don't suck up. Be a good person and work hard. The faculty will notice it.
(2) Scores are increasing. People still match into a 6 year below a 70, but a non-cat may be required.
(3) Extern at as many places as possible. You have no idea how important culture and camaraderie are to your sanity for the next 6-years.
(4) In-person interviews are so much better, I hope it'll transition back that way.
(5) You make some great friends along the way. Met some really cool people and look forward to meeting up with them again.

It's an expensive, unique journey. I'm thankful to have been matched and even more thankful for my mentors. They took some time to meet and chat with me when **** sucked. Always here if y'all need it.

Reactions: 3 users
Program Matched: 6-year Midwest
Dental School Attended: Northern New England
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022 (MPH in 2018)
International Student (yes/no): N
CBSE scores: 215
Class Ranking/Size: unranked but supposedly top 1/3
GPA: N/A
Externship(s)/where: UAB, UConn, BMC, Nebraska, UNC, Rutgers
Research: Spent most of post-undergrad life doing research; Honors Research in dental school
Extracurriculars: OMFS president, TA in sim lab/anatomy, started a dissection elective, volunteer work, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 36/9/9/9/1

My school isn't catered towards putting out OMFS candidates, which made it a bit more difficult with how much clinic time was required of us, plus the studying I needed to do. I took the CBSE twice.

I'm gonna echo what everyone before me has said:
(1) Your LORs matter a lot. Don't suck up. Be a good person and work hard. The faculty will notice it.
(2) Scores are increasing. People still match into a 6 year below a 70, but a non-cat may be required.
(3) Extern at as many places as possible. You have no idea how important culture and camaraderie are to your sanity for the next 6-years.
(4) In-person interviews are so much better, I hope it'll transition back that way.
(5) You make some great friends along the way. Met some really cool people and look forward to meeting up with them again.

It's an expensive, unique journey. I'm thankful to have been matched and even more thankful for my mentors. They took some time to meet and chat with me when **** sucked. Always here if y'all need it.
The legend himself

Dental School Attended: Midwest State School
International Student (yes/no): nope
CBSE scores: 227
Class Ranking/Size: Top 5%
GPA: 3.96
Externship(s)/where: 3 in person
Research: 2 abstracts, 1 publication + 1 more in the works
Extracurriculars: 4 years of executive board and a 1 year presidency
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 27/21/14/14/1

1. Enjoy the ride — OMFS is a great profession, and the interview cycle is very enjoyable.
2. Every time you are in the OR as a dental student it is privilege.
3. CBSE — study hard but remember there are diminishing returns over a certain threshold (I would say around 80 but I’m sure someone else has different thoughts)
4. There is no substitute to the relationships you make with attendings and residents at your home program. These relationships were the most important portion of my match process and decision.
5. Only rank based on your preferences and the rest will work out.
6. Expect some chaos—you will not have a 100% interview rate, and that is okay!
7. Always be there—early and late (externships, clinic, OR, etc)
8. Being well-rounded is key to scoring an interview
9. Being yourself and being honest during an interview is key to a comfortable conversation.

Program Matched: Texas 6 years.
Dental School Attended: Midwest state school
CBSE scores: 241
Class Ranking/Size: 5/107
GPA: 3.964
Externship(s)/where: Parkland, NYU, Michigan, Mayo.
Research: basic science research at dental school (not published).
Extracurriculars: minimal.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 37/27/23/23/1

Program Matched: East coast 6 year program
Dental School Attended: East coast dental school
International Student (yes/no): Yes! (Canadian!)
CBSE scores: 235
GPA: 3.99
Externship(s)/where: Mayo, Penn, Montefiore, Cornell
Research: some research in undergrad and dental school (unpublished).
Extracurriculars: Some extracurriculars pertained to hobbies and minimal OMFS related ECs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 30/6/6/6/2

Congrats to everyone who matched this cycle and hopefully my experience can help other fellow applicants/Canadians out there! As people know, OMFS is competitive and especially difficult for international students/Canadian students but it is doable so if it is your dream/goal, work hard, be kind, be a normal human being who enjoys hobbies outside of OMFS and everything will fall into place!

I think some factors that attributed to my success was a strong support system from my oral surgery faculties in my dental school, a strong CBSE score, and being as sincere and honest at my externship/interviews. I actually did not have too many oral surgery extracurricular related activities or research and that was totally fine! Many of my interviewers asked activities that were not related to OMFS and I definitely had few residents keep in touch with me throughout the interview cycle.

This journey was incredibly tough but I also very enjoyed the whole process! I am super grateful to have matched and if there are any fellow Canadians out there who are unsure of the whole process or feel discouraged at times, feel free to DM me!

Program Matched: East coast 4 year program
Dental School Attended: East coast dental school
CBSE scores: 229
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%
GPA: 3.90
Externship(s)/where:
Research: some research in undergrad and dental school
Extracurriculars: Minimal OMFS related ECs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 40/17/17/15/1

Program Matched: 6-year
Dental School Attended: $omewhere in the Northea$t
CBSE scores: High 60s
Class Ranking/Size: 5/~120
GPA: 3.9+
Externship(s)/where: A few in all different regions
Research: Posters
Extracurriculars: Leadership and volunteering in things I liked, OS club
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 25/10/10/10/1

Proof you don’t need a 75+ to match into a 6-year program, but I will say that I have an interesting life story and had a competitive application aside from the test score. If you’re someone who hasn’t really experienced a lot of challenges in life, you should follow the advice that CBSE is king, ha.

What was the state of 4 year programs this year? Had almost everyone matching at 4 year programs completed a non-cat year? Or was there still a good split of 4th year students? I saw that the number of applicants who matched with a graduation date pre-2022 went up again. So it’s basically 45% pre-2022 and 55% co 2022

What was the state of 4 year programs this year? Had almost everyone matching at 4 year programs completed a non-cat year? Or was there still a good split of 4th year students? I saw that the number of applicants who matched with a graduation date pre-2022 went up again. So it’s basically 45% pre-2022 and 55% co 2022
Program dependent. Some programs interviewed strictly non-cats and others hardly interviewed any. There's definitely a trend of more 4 year programs interviewing non-cats but there's still a good mix.

Don’t have reliable numerical data to backup my position, but I suspect the number of first year residents who have done a non categorical has increased significantly last year and will consistently do so every year. I kept meeting people in the interview trail who’ve done a number of years in private practice, GPRs, 1, 2 or up to 3 internships (in the very rare occasion). There was a lot of competition even for non categorical positions.

Buddy asked me to post this to remain anonymous:

Program Matched: 6yr east of california and south of the mason dixon line
Dental School Attended: Northeast private school
Class Ranking/Size: not ranked
Externship(s)/where: Rutgers, Parkland, San Antonio, UNC, Case Western Penn
Research: 5 publications, presentation at AAOMS meeting and IADR, bunch of other abstracts and presentations at my dental school
Extracurriculars: OMFS club president, cleft lip society president, bunch of other random things
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: all 6yrs - 29/23/18/16. Matched to #1.

I think people under-hype research. It was brought up at almost all my interviews. I believe it is a way to separate yourself from other applicants. Find a mentor at your school and see what ideas they might have – be prepared to put in some hours writing a manuscript (it really isn’t as bad as you think it might be).

For CBSE: I finished CBSE pre-COVID during D2 spring. When COVID hit and scores started to go up, I was worried about how my score compared. With that said, I believe that if you score a 215 CBSE, you shouldn’t have to retake it and it is diminishing returns after that. HOWEVER, you sadly need to compare your score to some of your classmates who are also applying. If you have the 6th highest score at your school and you all are interested in the same program, there is a chance you don’t get an invite (unless you showed initiative and externed or something). All our applicants were interested in different types of programs, but we did notice that with mutual programs we applied to, some got invites and others didn’t (even though scores were all within a few points of each other).

I also highly recommend that for those who can, go to the AAOMS Meeting the fall of your D4 year (before all interviews are really sent out). I got to meet a bunch of the program directors in-person, which I found to be a benefit with the cycle mainly being virtual again. Aside from the networking at the meeting, it is a blast going out for drinks with fellow applicants or residents you may know.

Dental School Attended: Midwest State school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022 (Hopefully)
International Student (yes/no): Nada
CBSE scores: 253
Class Ranking/Size: 20/55
GPA/uGPA: 3.68/3.28
Externship(s)/where: UNMC, Louisville, Parkland, Mayo, Shreveport, & UT Knoxville (*Matched where I externed)
Research: No pubs, 2 manuscripts waiting publication, and 2 research assistant op.
Extracurriculars: ASDA, ADEA, OMFS tingz, community service, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 40/16/15/15/ Matched numero uno

I'm not always fond of people who give out unsolicited advice.........here's some advice. I started out my first semester with terrible grades, realized I needed to get my **** together and started hustling my second semester and didn't give up. Rank went from 42 to 20 by the time I applied and programs took notice, so it's never too late. Furthermore, I didn't have a bachelors degree and my uGPA was horrendous, so finished my B.S. in Biology during D3 year, worked hard to consistently rank top 10 in my class the following semesters, studied hard for the CBSE, and kept my head down and tried to stay grounded the entire time. As I'm sure many people have witnessed, it can get dark and studying this hard for something you want that bad can really take a toll on you, so always make sure to take some time for yourself. Match is 90% hard work and 10% luck imo. You have to stay humble, grounded, and have to understand how to sell yourself as a strong applicant without coming off arrogant or looking like a kiss ass. Its a fine line and something I had to practice, since I wasn't good at talking (in general).

If you can display your strengths, admit your weakness (and explain how you're working on them), show them grit, and still stay humble, I believe you'll have the formula for success and will not only serve you well for match but also in life. Honestly just want to help anyone that was in the same boat as me when I was a D2 or D3. I rmbr scouring sdn, constantly looking for advice, and tho sdn is like being in a relationship with Kanye west, it has given me lots of information that has gotten me where I am today and truly thank this forum and it's people for that. So if anyone is in a similar situation as me, or needs some advice on programs and application (and by NO means am I the god of match), feel free to reach out to me and I will do my best to answer all questions.

The match process can be crippling at times, but damn is it rewarding when you finally see that "Congratulations...." in your inbox.
Great advice, congrats on matching!

Buddy asked me to post this to remain anonymous:

Program Matched: 6yr east of california and south of the mason dixon line
Dental School Attended: Northeast private school
Class Ranking/Size: not ranked
Externship(s)/where: Rutgers, Parkland, San Antonio, UNC, Case Western Penn
Research: 5 publications, presentation at AAOMS meeting and IADR, bunch of other abstracts and presentations at my dental school
Extracurriculars: OMFS club president, cleft lip society president, bunch of other random things
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: all 6yrs - 29/23/18/16. Matched to #1.

I think people under-hype research. It was brought up at almost all my interviews. I believe it is a way to separate yourself from other applicants. Find a mentor at your school and see what ideas they might have – be prepared to put in some hours writing a manuscript (it really isn’t as bad as you think it might be).

For CBSE: I finished CBSE pre-COVID during D2 spring. When COVID hit and scores started to go up, I was worried about how my score compared. With that said, I believe that if you score a 215 CBSE, you shouldn’t have to retake it and it is diminishing returns after that. HOWEVER, you sadly need to compare your score to some of your classmates who are also applying. If you have the 6th highest score at your school and you all are interested in the same program, there is a chance you don’t get an invite (unless you showed initiative and externed or something). All our applicants were interested in different types of programs, but we did notice that with mutual programs we applied to, some got invites and others didn’t (even though scores were all within a few points of each other).

I also highly recommend that for those who can, go to the AAOMS Meeting the fall of your D4 year (before all interviews are really sent out). I got to meet a bunch of the program directors in-person, which I found to be a benefit with the cycle mainly being virtual again. Aside from the networking at the meeting, it is a blast going out for drinks with fellow applicants or residents you may know.
Good job Cimba

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Don’t have reliable numerical data to backup my position, but I suspect the number of first year residents who have done a non categorical has increased significantly last year and will consistently do so every year. I kept meeting people in the interview trail who’ve done a number of years in private practice, GPRs, 1, 2 or up to 3 internships (in the very rare occasion). There was a lot of competition even for non categorical positions.
Numbers to back you up (from dental match statistics)

2022: 104 pre-2022 graduates matched (i.e Non-cat/GPR/private practice)
2021: 94 pre-2021 graduates matched
2020: 83 pre-2020 graduates matched

With those odds, you'd might as well go for a dual-degree right out of dental school 🤷‍♂️

Thank you. It seems like most four years want non cats now?
Not really. I just matched to a 4 yr as a D4, applied to only 4 yr programs, had many interviews, and in terms of who my co-interviewees were, it was a mix of people still in school and non-cats. I even asked programs during my interviews whether they gave extra points for having done a non-cat, and nearly all said they just want the best candidate, and don't care whether you have done a non-cat. Some even said that they question those doing non-cats more, as they are more likely to wonder whether something is wrong with the candidate for them to have not matched straight out.

Not really. I just matched to a 4 yr as a D4, applied to only 4 yr programs, had many interviews, and in terms of who my co-interviewees were, it was a mix of people still in school and non-cats. I even asked programs during my interviews whether they gave extra points for having done a non-cat, and nearly all said they just want the best candidate, and don't care whether you have done a non-cat. Some even said that they question those doing non-cats more, as they are more likely to wonder whether something is wrong with the candidate for them to have not matched straight out.
Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the insight. What do you think explains the numbers that were posted earlier?

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the insight. What do you think explains the numbers that were posted earlier?

I’d be curious as to how many of these are staying at their home program. That may provide some insight. It’s kinda like when a business invests time and money into their employee, the goal is the have the employee grow and prosper at their company, not leave. If you’re good, why not keep them?

I’d be curious as to how many of these are staying at their home program. That may provide some insight. It’s kinda like when a business invests time and money into their employee, the goal is the have the employee grow and prosper at their company, not leave. If you’re good, why not keep them?
Still doable to match a four year without a non cat year?

Still doable to match a four year without a non cat year?
dude are you really going to ask this three times?
Everyone has said it's doable multiple times. Besides, would this answer really change anything you do when preparing to apply anyway?

Well firstly, these numbers are for both 4 and 6 year programs, so you can’t say for sure that all the non cats are going to 4 year programs. It’s a mix of the non cats going to both types of programs.
I believe that since the match rate was lower the past 2 years for Omfs, we have a glut of non cats who are re applying after not matching even after doing a non cat year. Further, more and more non cat positions open every year, so in reality the number of non cats is growing and that is also contributing to you seeing a higher number of non cats matching into categorical omfs spots.

All this said, who cares. Just have as competitive an app as possible. If you are concerned that 4 year programs may prefer non cats (which I don’t think is the case in general), then apply to a mix of 4 and 6 year programs. It’s pointless to waste time worrying about things out of your control.

I may catch some flak for saying this but fundamentally, I think the highest quality residents usually match straight out of dental school, whether that’s into a 4 year or 6 year. Usually those people have their stuff together and have worked towards their goal early on to have matched straight out, thus having the qualities that would make them the best residents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Also, consider that most non-cats improve their app by doing a non-cat year, that's it. 6-year programs want a high CBSE score, which you are unlikely to get by retesting during a non-cat year. So most likely fall into a 4-year program.

So how important is getting involved in OMFS related research specifically for your application? Looking through this thread, seems like 90% of folks had some degree of research, but I'm curious if it's always OMFS related? Currently looking into doing some anatomy research with our anatomy prof. as there doesn't seem to be too large an avenue of getting into OMFS specific research at the moment.

Thanks for your input!

Program Matched: 6 years Florida
Dental School Attended: Ivy leaguer
International Student (yes/no): YES
CBSE scores:75+
Class Ranking/Size: No class rank
GPA: 3.9
Externship(s)/where: home program, Monty, Parkland, Sherevport, Jacksoville
Research: 6 , 2 pending publication
Extracurriculars: AEGD 2yrs, Private practice 3 years, Class president , ASDA
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 35/7/7/7

Let me just say this, 3 and half years ago all those who I asked if I had a chance of matching at OMS, they said no way! I had great faculty and mentors that really supported me. I surprisingly had more 6 years than 4 years invites. My interviews were pretty solid and my story line helped me a lot to strengthen why I did what I did.
Bottom line, never say never. It was very humbling journey
can Internatinal students TAKE CBSE if they are planning to come to US and complete a DDS degree and then applying for a OMFS residency?

So how important is getting involved in OMFS related research specifically for your application? Looking through this thread, seems like 90% of folks had some degree of research, but I'm curious if it's always OMFS related? Currently looking into doing some anatomy research with our anatomy prof. as there doesn't seem to be too large an avenue of getting into OMFS specific research at the moment.

Thanks for your input!
Any research experience is good. Shows that you understand the process of research. Thats all that is really needed. Specific OMS is not needed IMO.