Official SDN Psych BBQ thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanman

O.G.
Reaction score
Have at it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have we already concluded Cincinnati has the best chili in the country?

Also, best bbq chain?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Memphis dry rub ribs for ribs.

This could be blasphemy, but I like a KC dry rub for pork butt - smothered later in a Memphis bbq sauce (Lillie’s).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s the culinary equivalent of mock crab.

“Let’s take a cheap cut of meat, cook it on low heat for an extended period of time to make it tender. You know, like the expensive cuts of meat, even though these cheap cuts are now relatively expensive because it’s trendy. Now, let’s disguise the taste with smoke and sauce.” None of it makes sense. Except it makes even less sense when you involve pork or chicken.

Just buy some real cuts.

• Haha

“Let’s take a cheap cut of meat, cook it on low heat for an extended period of time to make it tender. You know, like the expensive cuts of meat, even though these cheap cuts are now relatively expensive because it’s trendy. Now, let’s disguise the taste with smoke and sauce.” None of it makes sense. Except it makes even less sense when you involve pork or chicken.

Just buy some real cuts.

Properly cooked ribeye is usually my go to. And go to an actual butcher to get the thickness and marbling that you need. That 3/4" crap at your supermarket ain't gonna cut it.

Reactions: 2 users
Properly cooked ribeye is usually my go to. And go to an actual butcher to get the thickness and marbling that you need. That 3/4" crap at your supermarket ain't gonna cut it.
1) They bank on people not understanding the difference between “select”, “choice”, and “prime”.

2) There’s only ~40 places in the US that can sell Kobe.

1) They bank on people not understanding the difference between “select”, “choice”, and “prime”.

There are plenty of people selling "wagyu style" around here, haven't found actual Kobe for consumer use yet.

I am a NY strip person, a lot of due to the fact that most steakhouses (especially chained places) royally screw up the ribeye.

I will need to look this up. You've inspired me. :p

I'm gonna throw it out there- Korean BBQ competes with any!
My brother's wife is Korean (and grew up mostly in Saudi Arabia--she has a really interesting life story!), and he says he gets noteably better food if he goes to Korean restaurants with her than if goes alone or only with other non-Korean folk, so there may be another level of Korean BBQ that you may not have yet experienced. Also, she's a stickler for traditional v. "incorrect" Korean BBQ (has to do with the type of fuel used).

I'm a vegetarian, so I have no stake in this thread, heh.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Just buy some real cuts.
I hate you right now for telling my cuts suck. Thank god everyone eating it loved it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
yeh. Texas BBQ wins. What is there to discuss?

Grew up Eastern NC and so the vinegar BBQ was my jam. Then a little west to Lexington style and the Kansas style. Now here in Texas, it's the best. NC Takes second

South Carolina BBQ is an abomination.

• Love
All you carnivores sound like pigs at the trough, lol.
I wear that like a badge of honor. :)

yeh. Texas BBQ wins. What is there to discuss?

Grew up Eastern NC and so the vinegar BBQ was my jam. Then a little west to Lexington style and the Kansas style. Now here in Texas, it's the best. NC Takes second

South Carolina BBQ is an abomination.

Thank you! Finally some support here for Texas BBQ.

I hate you right now for telling my cuts suck. Thank god everyone eating it loved it.

Sure, historically oppressed people chose brisket because it’s a good cut of meat (e.g., corned beef, pastrami, barbecue, etc). 😜

Where's the love for eastern NC bbq? That vinegar based sauce is the best, IMO.

My brother's wife is Korean (and grew up mostly in Saudi Arabia--she has a really interesting life story!), and he says he gets noteably better food if he goes to Korean restaurants with her than if goes alone or only with other non-Korean folk, so there may be another level of Korean BBQ that you may not have yet experienced. Also, she's a stickler for traditional v. "incorrect" Korean BBQ (has to do with the type of fuel used).

Meat still loves you!!!

:laugh:

• Haha

I've experienced this too; best first date ever!

Also seen it w. traditional thai food....back when I could handle the hot stuff. It took regularly going for 6mon before I got the "real" menu, none of which was in english, but the dishes were noticeably better.

I've experienced this too; best first date ever!

Also seen it w. traditional thai food....back when I could handle the hot stuff. It took regularly going for 6mon before I got the "real" menu, none of which was in english, but the dishes were noticeably better.

This happens in almost all Asian cuisines. There is the food that traditionally sells in America and then there is the food that they cook at home. If you want the authentic experience bring someone that is native or knows the local/regional cuisine rather than the mass market choices. This is true of one of my local Chinese restaurants as well.

This happens in almost all Asian cuisines. There is the food that traditionally sells in America and then there is the food that they cook at home. If you want the authentic experience bring someone that is native or knows the local/regional cuisine rather than the mass market choices. This is true of one of my local Chinese restaurants as well.
I saw a TikTok about trying Chinese food joints with 3.5 stars on yelp being the sweet spot.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users