*~*~* Official Secondary Application Thread 2015-2016 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all questions or information related to secondary applications here.

For information on secondary application fees, letters of recommendation, and other requirements by school, see the 2016 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (PDF).

For essay information, see the post below.

Good luck everyone!

Credit goes to (brakk026) for format.

You can see the 2014-2015 secondary thread here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's a little early right now. As soon as secondaries start coming out please PM them to me so I can add them here.

BCOM -
BCOM Secondary (500 words each)

Each student is required to answer all of the following questions.
Describe your understanding of the osteopathic profession, and discuss how the principles and philosophy of osteopathic medicine would influence your future practice of medicine, as a potential graduate of an osteopathic medical school.
Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?
What was your worst grade in college and explain what, if anything, you did to address the issue.Answer one (1) of the following questions:
Discuss ethical behavior in a strictly secular context.
Defend the position that physicians should administer lethal injection in states where the death penalty is still applied.
You are a family practitioner in rural America and have strong beliefs against abortion for any reason. A 16 year-old girl comes to you, pregnant as a result of incest, telling you she wants to have an abortion and doesn’t know what to do or where to go. Define how you see your role in this situation.
Of the following individuals, who do you consider is the worst criminal and why: Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong or Joel Steinberg.

Then verify pre-reqs and pay 75

CCOM - Midwestern University Chicago
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

- Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
- Employment History
- Medically related work and volunteer experiences
- College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
- Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to submit LOR before receiving secondaries?

Hey so I know LECOM will be accepting ACT/SAT scores instead of MCAT scores or if you don't have one they use MCAT. Is there anyway you can make sure they don't get the MCAT score since my first one was bad. I think on the secondary right or would they automatically see my bad MCAT score because of the accomas application.

Hey so I know LECOM will be accepting ACT/SAT scores instead of MCAT scores or if you don't have one they use MCAT. Is there anyway you can make sure they don't get the MCAT score since my first one was bad. I think on the secondary right or would they automatically see my bad MCAT score because of the accomas application.

1.) This thread is only for secondary prompts.

2.) You have to disclose all your MCAT scores. It's unethical to not send it just because you did bad. I believe if it's on AACOMAS then it will be sent to every school.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like there have been a fair amount of secondaries already sent out, is there a list to see what schools have/haven't sent secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like there have been a fair amount of secondaries already sent out, is there a list to see what schools have/haven't sent secondaries?
Hey man, this is just from what I remember ...I'm sure others can add...

Have sent out and/or can be submitted:
-Pcom (both campuses)
-AZCOM
-CCOM
-DMU-COM
-NOVA
-LMU/DCOM
-MUCOM
-ACOM
-AT-still KCOM + arizona campus
-NYIT
-UNECOM (started this week I beleive)
-VCOM's all the campuses
-Western-Pacific
-RVUCOM
-Touro Cali
-LECOM's

Still waiting on:
-Touro Nevada
-KCU
-William Carey

There are a few I missed that I have not been keeping up on, hopefully others can add

wow thanks @swolebrah ! I recieved CUSOM and MSUCOM (UNECOM today as well) to add to that list. Sounds like KYCOM hasn't given out any responses yet.

Anyone how long it takes after you are verified to start receiving secondaries from schools?

Describe your understanding of the osteopathic profession, and discuss how the principles and philosophy of osteopathic medicine would influence your future practice of medicine, as a potential graduate of an osteopathic medical school.
Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?
What was your worst grade in college and explain what, if anything, you did to address the issue.Answer one (1) of the following questions:
Defend the position that physicians should administer lethal injection in states where the death penalty is still applied.
You are a family practitioner in rural America and have strong beliefs against abortion for any reason. A 16 year-old girl comes to you, pregnant as a result of incest, telling you she wants to have an abortion and doesn’t know what to do or where to go. Define how you see your role in this situation.
Of the following individuals, who do you consider is the worst criminal and why: Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong or Joel Steinberg.

Do you recommend submitting secondaries before all your authors upload your letters of rec, or should I wait for my letters to be uploaded and then submit for secondaries?

These are some of the oddest prompts I've seen in a long time.

Reactions: 1 users
These are some of the oddest prompts I've seen in a long time.

The secondary I received from them also includes an optional essay (out of seven choices, mind you) involving the rape, torture, and dismemberment of a three year old. I **** you not. Kinda figured it would be all over SDN by now, you know, because its... unique.

Waillin, did yours not include that one? Or the other two?

The secondary I received from them also includes an optional essay (out of seven choices, mind you) involving the rape, torture, and dismemberment of a three year old. I **** you not. Kinda figured it would be all over SDN by now, you know, because its... unique.

Waillin, did yours not include that one? Or the other two?

I got that one too. Pretty messed up but it's really easy to answer

KYCOM is in. all 500 word max:

Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student.

Please also describe your experience with osteopathic medicine that may include your care and treatment by a D.O. and your shadowing experiences with a D.O. (include number of hours, etc.)

KYCOM is in. all 500 word max:

Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.
Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student.
Please also describe your experience with osteopathic medicine that may include your care and treatment by a D.O. and your shadowing experiences with a D.O. (include number of hours, etc.)

Where does it say 500 word max mine says
  • Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student (1-2 pages maximum)
*edit* Ok, I see when you open the drop box the 3 questions have 500 word count.

Last edited:
Does everyone get sent a KYCOM secondary? I received mine on Monday, and I haven't been verified yet.

Also not entirely for sure how to answer those questions... Does anyone know what they are looking for, specifically? I have extensive experience at a county hospital, but not a rural hospital. And I only have around 20 hours of shadowing experience with DOs... So I tried to relate my hospital experience to what I imagine rural medicine would be like.

I added 10 schools on Wednesday, still no secondaries from them? Verified officially on Tuesday.

For NOVA's secondary question:

"If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school."

Do I just copy/paste what was on my primary application? Or should I change things up?
Why are they asking to repost activities if it is on the primary app?

Hey all!

I started going full force on the secondaries and I have a question for you all (I apologize if this has been answered on a previous thread):

Do you try to reach the MAX amount of characters? Ive been writing and rewriting paragraphs and honestly all that I need to say has been averaging about the 400 characters mark out of 500. I may be overthinking it, but I dont want the committees to be like: ":pompous:oh so this person could not write more about why they want to come to our school?:pompous:"

Let me know what you all think and best of luck with all the questions and prompts!! Keep them eye drops handy :zombie:

For NOVA's secondary question:

"If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school."

Do I just copy/paste what was on my primary application? Or should I change things up?
Why are they asking to repost activities if it is on the primary app?

Since it is asking for a list, then I would just list them out chronologically and with the information that they ask.
Some people can go through quick changes in the time they submit the primary and submit their secondary. For example, someone submits the primary app June but is just about to submit their secondary this month! I am personally applying for a larger leadership role with my current job, so that's nice that they offer the chance to let them know of your latest movements/changes.

quick question for you all.

im applying to around 16 schools and have sent half of my secondaries in.

getting the other half in today and tomorrow.

im getting really scared I shot myself in the foot by waiting this long to send the rest in.

im a bit of a borderline applicant with cgpa: 3.27....sgpa:3.7......mcat: 26 (8,9,9)

have I really hurt my chances or am I just being crazy?

Any updates for the secondary prompts?

quick question for you all.

im applying to around 16 schools and have sent half of my secondaries in.

getting the other half in today and tomorrow.

im getting really scared I shot myself in the foot by waiting this long to send the rest in.

im a bit of a borderline applicant with cgpa: 3.27....sgpa:3.7......mcat: 26 (8,9,9)

have I really hurt my chances or am I just being crazy?

Youre crazy! This guy had 3.5/3.5 and MCAT 25. He applied to 22 schools. 5 IIs with 4 acceptances.

wat teh diff b/w do & md, yo?

One practice magical medicine, the other practice modern medicine. They made a movie series called harry potter that explicitly follows a young boy who started osteopathy in Hogwarts. Interesting I might add.

How bad is it to use the concluding sentence from the Personal statement into the concluding sentence of the secondary while everything else is a new idea?

Never mind.

Last edited:
Ok, so, about those secondary prompts... Anyone got them? Can we list those pls? Thanks

It's been anywhere from 2-4 weeks since I've submitted my secondaries. If I don't receive any II soon, does that mean I won't get one at this rate? BCOM did a good job sending me an II a week after submitting my secondary. And MSUCOM offered me an II less than two weeks after submitting my secondary. Will schools notify me if I'm not competitive enough and have no chance at receiving an II? Because I'd rather receive an update about NOT getting an II, than receiving no response at all.

Anyone have some good advice about getting these secondaries done? I am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of writing to complete for 28 different secondaries.

For Nova's secondary, it says "List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school."

This is going to sound kind of dumb, but they're just asking for "volunteer" experiences, correct? In other words, would shadowing count? I'm not sure where in the secondary app I would list my shadowing experiences.