Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else going to Columbia for dental??
Ahh, congratulations! I got rejected from Columbia; however, if anyone else got accepted to UW for Public Health, see you this summer!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe all the waitlisted spots for the sites have been filled?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing because site is full means they reached their capacity of accepting/waitlisting applicants.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing because site is full means they reached their capacity of accepting/waitlisting applicants.
Mine still says waitlisted but maybe they just haven't updated to site full

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got through to the Houston program coordinator and essentially the gist of the conversation was that the site is full and people will be called off the waitlist in "chronological order" if for some reason people can no longer attend... she also was like "the good thing is that your application was accepted but unfortunately we don't have enough spots so keep up the good work"... has anyone else called and gotten the same response?
Oh man that's just making me more anxious. I tried calling but I didn't get an answer. Was that the case for both the medical and dental programs?

I called Columbia and Rutgers and asked for information on how the waitlist process works. Columbia said that over 2000 individuals applied and you can get off of the waitlist between today and one day before the program if someone decides to back out. Rutgers said that I'll know if I'm accepted or rejected tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man that's just making me more anxious. I tried calling but I didn't get an answer. Was that the case for both the medical and dental programs?
She didn't even ask which program I applied to so I think it's for both

I called Columbia and Rutgers and asked for information on how the waitlist process works. Columbia said that over 2000 individuals applied and you can get off of the waitlist between today and one day before the program if someone decides to back out. Rutgers said that I'll know if I'm accepted or rejected tomorrow.
Good luck I hope you get in to Rutgers!

Does anyone know about how the schools pay for airline transportation (specifically Howard)? I've emailed them have haven't heard back. I also tried to call their shpep number and it was basically disconnected.

I'm dental, waiting on UT Houston. What about you?
So I got through to the Houston program coordinator and essentially the gist of the conversation was that the site is full and people will be called off the waitlist in "chronological order" if for some reason people can no longer attend... she also was like "the good thing is that your application was accepted but unfortunately we don't have enough spots so keep up the good work"... has anyone else called and gotten the same response?

I don't understand .... so we should all expect to get rejected? They're just holding up a steak of meat in front of us and we're all the doggies that just want a bite ...

Reactions: 5 users
I don't understand .... so we should all expect to get rejected? They're just holding up a steak of meat in front of us and we're all the doggies that just want a bite ...
That's how I'm feeling too, if it's full I wish they would just let us know so we don't have to depend on it.

Reactions: 1 users
That's how I'm feeling too, if it's full I wish they would just let us know so we don't have to depend on it.
I feel that. Just tell me already so I can stop wasting my time and energy worrying about this and refreshing the page like a billion times.

I feel that. Just tell me already so I can stop wasting my time and energy worrying about this and refreshing the page like a billion times.
I know right! That's why I'm waiting to check at night so I can only check once a day. This will literally drive you crazy

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an email from SHPEP about waitlisted applicants

Sigh. Is it just harder to get in through the regular admission cycle? This is like waiting for the original admission decision all over again!

Sigh. Is it just harder to get in through the regular admission cycle? This is like waiting for the original admission decision all over again!
Yee. Way easier to get in through early, because you're only fighting with your application, versus spots available. But with early admission it's a yes/no, not a yes/no/waitlist.

Well at least we will have another chance at SHPEP sophomore year then. I'm definitely applying for the early decisions in 2018.

Just curious if you guys had the chance to choose between a summer research position and SHPEP which would you choose?

They should already know who is going to attend their sites based on those who were accepted had two days to confirm. So I don't understand why it's taking so long to find space. It's either you have it or you don't.

They should already know who is going to attend their sites based on those who were accepted had two days to confirm. So I don't understand why it's taking so long to find space. It's either you have it or you don't.
Exactly. I feel like the sites are full for the most part and we are only on the waitlist in case someone can no longer attend later on.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about how the schools pay for airline transportation (specifically Howard)? I've emailed them have haven't heard back. I also tried to call their shpep number and it was basically disconnected.
Im going to columbia and they explained that we get a stipend in 3 installments. $300 of the total first installment is designated for the travel reimbursement

Since its a rolling application, your chances are higher applying by the early deadline. Its recommended

Just curious if you guys had the chance to choose between a summer research position and SHPEP which would you choose?
I would choose shpep only because of the networking opportunities and its only offered summer, whereas research is all year round. You can do research during the semester as a research assistant with a professor or get a job in a lab at your school

Even though people accept sites which fills up the spots, there's still a registration process with a bunch of forms and documents. If a student doesn't fulfill those requirements then they get dropped. For Columbia they gave us til the middle of April to fulfill the first portion, and May 1st for the second portion. Its a bit more than "you have it or you don't"

Good Luck everyone. There's still a bit of hope

Hello, I'm in need of advice.

I got accepted to the Pre-Medical Program at Western University of Health Sciences but I might refuse it because I got an offer to work as a Medical Assistant at a hospital near me. Not only does this work not require certification, but it will also train me on the job. The whole point of me applying for this program was to figure out what Pre-health path I wanted to do and if I really even want to do Pre-health. However, I think the job at the hospital might be way better in helping me make my decision. I'm just reluctant to reject the offer because I'm not too sure how much it would offer me in terms of insight of the medical field.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
That's a tough decision. If you were certain on whether you wanted to go to medical school, i would choose the MA position because that looks sooooooo good when applying to med school. Lots of hands on work, patient care, and a automatic letter of recommendation from a doctor. But if you really arent sure about pursuing medicine, i would choose SHPEP. I heard from past participants that SHPEP is great at helping students decide whether they want to pursue medicine or not.

If anyone is waiting on UW they emailed those who are accepted and said that they have all the spots filled.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ahh, congratulations! I got rejected from Columbia; however, if anyone else got accepted to UW for Public Health, see you this summer!
Thanks, I'm really excited about it all! Congratulations to you too! I hope you have a great time with the program!

does anybody know how long the University of Nebraska waitlist is?

*sigh* no change for houston

anyone hear anything from rutgers? they said yesterday (friday) by the end of the day but.... so far nada

anyone hear anything from rutgers? they said yesterday (friday) by the end of the day but.... so far nada
My status was "not accepted" don't know if that's a rejection or if the site was full

Is anyone waitlisted for Howard pharmacy? Or has anyone heard anything from Howard SHPEP?

Hi! I'm looking through this, and I'm realizing I'm probably the only person who is doing SHPEP for optometry at the UAB site.. At least, as far as I see on the forum.

My status was "not accepted" don't know if that's a rejection or if the site was full
were you waitlisted and then it changed? mine still says waitlisted so I'm not sure what's up with that but I'll be calling the office again tomorrow or tuesday, whenever I have free time.

Has anyone else been accepted and confirmed UCLA medical yet?

I GOT INTO HOUSTON!!!!!! THANK GOD!!! The wait is over! Anyone else?

Reactions: 8 users