Oh man, interview invite from PCOM now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so they just sent me an ii today. I really thought I was done with all my med school app/acceptances with my decision to attend NSU. It is after all PCOM. I know the consensus on here is to attend as many interview as possible to make sure. But if I crossed out CCOM for NSU already which has just as good rep as PCOM and is located in a similar environment, is there any point in going to PCOM interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, so they just sent me an ii today. I really thought I was done with all my med school app/acceptances with my decision to attend NSU. It is after all PCOM. I know the consensus on here is to attend as many interview as possible to make sure. But if I crossed out CCOM for NSU already which has just as good rep as PCOM and located similar environment, is there any point in going to PCOM interview?

It's PCOM

You still haven't learned to use the shool specific threads?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. I think it's worth visiting if you can afford it. Congrats by the way! You must be a stellar applicant.

I KNEW you'd make another thread :thumbup:

dude, you need to start making decisions for yourself. my god.

Next thread: "I just took a ****. Should I wipe my ***?"

Ok, so they just sent me an ii today. I really thought I was done with all my med school app/acceptances with my decision to attend NSU. It is after all PCOM. I know the consensus on here is to attend as many interview as possible to make sure. But if I crossed out CCOM for NSU already which has just as good rep as PCOM and is located in a similar environment, is there any point in going to PCOM interview?

go to the interview. PCOM is a very good school

I KNEW you'd make another thread :thumbup:

dude, you need to start making decisions for yourself. my god.

Next thread: "I just took a ****. Should I wipe my ***?"

And after medical school: "My patient is coding right now. What should I do?"

This is getting pathetic.

Dude, you have some valid concerns and occasionally voice some interesting questions, I will give you that. Yet for every insightful post you make, you spam the crap out of this forum with 3-4 other threads that could have been answered by a quick google/SDN search. And you wonder why people get annoyed?

In response to your question, however, I personally would attend PCOM's interview. Yet I personally would have also flown my ass over to Chicago because CCOM is a brilliant school.

So... in your case, maybe just stick with Nova. At least you know you like it there.

Why did you take NSU over the CCOM interview? What was your reasoning. If we know that, at least me, I might be able to answer some questions for you.

What do you want to know? Post it in here so I can answer the question for everyone. Graduating OMSIV going into FM in Pennsylvania.

Well I got into both NSU and CCOM. I decided to go with NSU because I really fell for it. I have a strong interest in ortho as of now. I know my interest can change alot during the first two years. I also realize that specific residency match list doesn't say much regarding how one will do later which is why I just decided to go with NSU despite the fact that CCOM generally seemed to have had better matches. But with that said there is a TON of PCOM students that match into Ortho every year. I think more than any other school I researched. I think one year there was like 9 and I don't think they had any year since 2008 where they had less than 5ish ortho matches. Doesn't that kind of statistic tend to say something about the likelyhood of my being able to do what I currently think I want by possible going to pcom (thay is if I get in).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Well I got into both NSU and CCOM. I decided to go with NSU because I really fell for it. I have a strong interest in ortho as of now. I know my interest can change alot during the first two years. I also realize that specific residency match list doesn't say much regarding how one will do later which is why I just decided to go with NSU despite the fact that CCOM generally seemed to have had better matches. But with that said there is a TON of PCOM students that match into Ortho every year. I think more than any other school I researched. I think one year there was like 9 and I don't think they had any year since 2008 where they had less than 5ish ortho matches. Doesn't that kind of statistic tend to say something about the likelyhood of my being able to do what I currently think I want by possible going to pcom (thay is if I get in).

Seems like your best option would be to attend Nova but seriously look into PCOM hospital rotations for your surgery electives. Best of both worlds. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like your best option would be to attend Nova but seriously look into PCOM hospital rotations for your surgery electives. Best of both worlds. :)

Anybody second this?

but i would think that won't really help much since PCOM's affiliated ortho residencies heavily favor their own students. I think I have only seen one NSU student that matched into PCOM's affiliated orthos residencies.

I think another reason why PCOM produces lots of ortho residents is because they have their own PCOM orth residencies which I think has about 20-28 spots where as the two ortho residencies which are affiliated with NSU only has 5 in one and 9 in the other. For PCOM , it's their own residency whereas for NSU, it's affiliated.

I could be totally wrong here though.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but CCom also has an affiliated ortho residency that their website highlights...

Correct me if I'm wrong but CCom also has an affiliated ortho residency that their website highlights...

they do they do, but their ortho match is not too different than NSU's.

I wouldn't get so caught up in what others have done and instead focus on trying your best and accomplishing what YOU can do.

There are so many pathways to the same destination. Don't get stressed over which to take. Just keep your goal in your head and work towards it one step at a time.

Most of those ortho matches are into our own program. If you don't like PCOM it will be a very long 9 years.

Oh my god! I KNEW you were a PCOM student! The overlying attitude of both campuses SCREAMS your smug personality. It's the entire reason I turned down their interview!

You know, I've only taken a few psychology courses, besides reading studies. Smug people always remind me of a revenge-driven midget riding a silverback gorilla.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but smugness always seems to be supported by some barely-hidden authority figure they think justifies their sense of entitlement. An air of "untouchable"ness.
It's kinda sad. By themselves, in a supportive environment, the midget is a fine addition to the community. An entirely different point of view, albeit lower and mainly of genitalia.

Forget the trolls, Zoner. They post plenty of their own meaningless drivel. Most everything on here is of subjective nature.
The forum rules state that almost every possible topic has been covered since its creation in 1999. Meaning that there's no reason for ANYONE to be posting, anyway.

I say go with your gut feeling. It's your quarte million dollar debt. Might as well be happy while you're there. Studying 26 hours/day. Swapping pencil sharpeners and body odor.

Last edited:
Urrrr was there some beef between you two?

Oh my god! I KNEW you were a PCOM student! The overlying attitude of both campuses SCREAMS your smug personality. It's the entire reason I turned down their interview!

You know, I've only taken a few psychology courses, besides reading studies. Smug people always remind me of a revenge-driven midget riding a silverback gorilla.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but smugness always seems to be supported by some barely-hidden authority figure they think justifies their sense of entitlement. An air of "untouchable"ness.
It's kinda sad. By themselves, in a supportive environment, the midget is a fine addition to the community. An entirely different point of view, albeit lower and mainly of genitalia.

Huh?
Zoner I'd say if you went to the trouble to fill out the secondary (which was more trouble than I went to for PCOM) you should go to the interview. You may love it and want to live in the city of brotherly love.

Huh?
Zoner I'd say if you went to the trouble to fill out the secondary (which was more trouble than I went to for PCOM) you should go to the interview. You may love it and want to live in the city of brotherly love.

Actually I don't like philly (although I miss their hogies, pizzas, pretzel and cheesesteak dearly), granted I haven't been there for more than a decade. It's my 10 th favorite city in the us. It will be purely for their strength in matching and clinical years rotation sites which I think are unmatched in the DO realm

I wouldn't get so caught up in what others have done and instead focus on trying your best and accomplishing what YOU can do.

There are so many pathways to the same destination. Don't get stressed over which to take. Just keep your goal in your head and work towards it one step at a time.

easier said than done my friend....

Most of those ortho matches are into our own program. If you don't like PCOM it will be a very long 9 years.

ah, I see what you mean here. This is actually a very insightful advice. You're right that 9 years at an institution/school that you don't like much is actually a very long time to have wasted your life at. Sometimes, people just don't think about things such way. I could die in 9 years without even being able to enjoy my surrounding for that whole time!

Forget the trolls, Zoner. They post plenty of their own meaningless drivel. Most everything on here is of subjective nature.
The forum rules state that almost every possible topic has been covered since its creation in 1999. Meaning that there's no reason for ANYONE to be posting, anyway.

I say go with your gut feeling. It's your quarte million dollar debt. Might as well be happy while you're there. Studying 26 hours/day. Swapping pencil sharpeners and body odor.

I don't think Bacchus was trolling, but thanks for your advice as well.

i wouldn't get so caught up in what others have done and instead focus on trying your best and accomplishing what you can do.

+1

Zoner, you just don't want to waste a decade of your life. If you take the PCOM program out of the equation we match ~4-5 applicants a year. You have to decide if being in Philly > NSU over ten years and then speculate you'll go into ortho.

Zoner, you just don't want to waste a decade of your life. If you take the PCOM program out of the equation we match ~4-5 applicants a year. You have to decide if being in Philly > NSU over ten years and then speculate you'll go into ortho.

Ummmm heck no:D

The way I see it, the more you like a school, feel safe and happy, then the high grades you'll get and the better your match chances.
And screw it, anyway. What's the point of matching into X residency if you've gone insane at some point.

I'm completely disappointed in myself for getting so annoyed by someone I'll hopefully never meet.

You're going to drive your classmates crazy.

OP: Don't forget to ask a lot of questions on your rotations. Attendings and residents LOVE to be pimped by students. LOL.

The way I see it, the more you like a school, feel safe and happy, then the high grades you'll get and the better your match chances.
And screw it, anyway. What's the point of matching into X residency if you've gone insane at some point.

haha, i feel like i have gone insane thinking about all this