Oh, what to do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastybeef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background about me:
-I'm a pre-med student (just finished 2nd year) from UC Berkeley
-I have a decent BCPM GPA (3.9+)
-My EC's are lacking a bit (a year of research without pubs, 2 years of pharmaceutical internship)
-For next year, I plan to do Bio TA, another year of research, and tutoring to boost my EC's

Anyway, I got a medical research internship at a local doctor's office. This doctor has an impressive resume with even more awesome connections to medical schools. She wants to do clinical research and publish various papers and posters. That's great for me, because I can get first/second authors on those publications. However, the problem is that the internship is full-time from Monday to Friday. This leaves me completely drained at the end of the day. As such, I can't muster enough energy to study for the MCAT or handle my summer distance learning classes.

So this leaves me with 2 options:

1. Stick with the internship. Possibly get a few publications out and get a LOR from her (both she and her husband teach at Stanford School of Medicine). No time to take summer classes or study for the MCAT. Also, no time to enjoy this hard earned summer.

2. Forget the internship. Study full-time for the MCAT, volunteer at the local hospital (get around 300 hours), take summer classes, and have some time to enjoy the summer. Get no publications out. :(

As you can see, this is a rather unfortunate dilemma. I have a great opportunity to boost my already lacking EC's, but it may hinder my numbers. What should I do?

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do #1 and study for the MCAT on the weekends. This sounds like an incredible advantage and opportunity that arises once (if at all) in an undergraduate career. Do you really NEED to take summer classes?