Ohio ACEP Review Course - good or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this good review for the boards or should I just do it from home?

I know this review course has you stay at a hotel and it's like 5 days of lectures.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several out there, OH, PA, EM Board Review.. I've never heard anything bad about any of them on here or elsewhere. I would do which ever fits into your schedule easiest.

Personally I did the PaACEP one in Baltimore. I liked that it was shorter than the others.. 3.5 days I think... and was helded right by the airport (free shuttle). It was LARGELY re-cert takers and only a small handful of qualifying exam takers. The material was taught at the Qual level and occasional they would say "the re-cert people dont need to know this"...

Many people advocate that anyone fresh from residency who did >75 on the last years Inservice exam probably does not neet a course. This is easy to say, but personally I view the course as one more 'piece of mind'... I did it with three other friends, and essentially it was several days of non stop hardcore studying. I did fine on the last year inservice and did even better on the qual exam. I am pretty certain I would have passed without it, but still would do the course again for the peace of mind....

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people advocate that anyone fresh from residency who did >75 on the last years Inservice exam probably does not neet a course. This is easy to say, but personally I view the course as one more 'piece of mind'... I did it with three other friends, and essentially it was several days of non stop hardcore studying. I did fine on the last year inservice and did even better on the qual exam. I am pretty certain I would have passed without it, but still would do the course again for the peace of mind....

i had a similar inservice track record (with far, far less prep on my part!) from the same program as you, and did fine on both qual and oral w/o any in-person prep. i'm not aware of anyone from my class who didn't pass the qualifying exam (though who volunteers this?); one person failed the oral exam that i know of (told me first hand).

i think the PTB can advise you pretty well if they think you're high risk, sounds like a big ole NO...

i did PEER VII, 1000 q's, Rivers, and another question book that i don't remember. i never read Rosen or Tint cover to cover. exam is very IM heavy, as is our practice, and our spot trains you well for this, as well as trauma and tox.

i'd say peds and elderly pts are the weak spots.

oral, i did the book that everyone does (don't recall name), rivers (cd's are good for insomnia but the practice cases are decent for flow/speed), and practiced w/ friends. felt majorly stressed after exam, but apparently everyone does.

good luck, try not to stress, and imho i wouldn't waste the $$ or days off... but that's your call :D :luck:

I got the highest inservice score at my program but I'm still anxious if I need to really buffer up. It's expensive and you guys are right... I lose days off and money from lost shifts.