Ohio state Univ. VS Univ. of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidfats

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could go to Ohio State and with in-state tuition and scholarship take out $28k/year in loans, or go to the University of Rochester and take out $52k/yr in loans? Is the extra bang worth the extra bucks? Any comments are very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UR for undergrad, just graduated on Sunday.....and with that let me say...

They couldnt PAY ME to stay there for another 4 years.

Dont get me wrong, it is a GREAT institution, with a great program...but the weather sucks more than anything in this world. I dont care if youre from the North and have seen snow, you havent seen it in Rochester....it freakin blows hardcore.

The social life is also lame, downtown is basically alot of industrial and commercial zones. People basically commute there to work during the day, leave at night....theres hardly anything to do.

Its basically makinga choice...is the little bit of extra prestige (only slightly, cuz OSU is also very well known), worth having a sub-par lifestyle....

Come on.... sombody has got to have an opinion about price VS prestige. I need to make my decision today. Thanks for any comments

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick OSU for the price. I don't think the difference in prestige is big enough to justify paying $24,000 more each year. Plus, based on my visit to the school, Columbus seems like a really cool place to live.

UCLAstudent said:
I'd pick OSU for the price. I don't think the difference in prestige is big enough to justify paying $24,000 more each year. Plus, based on my visit to the school, Columbus seems like a really cool place to live.

Yes, Columbus is a fun place, I grew up there and lived pretty close to the OSU campus for 18 years of my life. The campus area is very alive--there is always something to do.

I wouldn't go to Rochester... the extra $24,000 is not worth it.

Columbus is a pretty fun town, and also the winter is much, much milder than Rochester. Take it from someone who spent 4 (cold) years in upstate NY.

I don't think there's any great deal of prestige in going to Univ. of Rochester, to be honest with you, vis. a vis. OSU at least.