Ohio vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkuhug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering your guys' input on choosing between these two schools. I am accepted at NECO but just recently also received an interview for Ohio. I am also waiting on Western still but considering the program and how new it is it is rather low on my list.

I felt NECO was great but am just wondering if Ohio is worth it to go interview at. I know at NECO you start seeing patients very early on! I tried looking on Ohio's website but couldn't find any information regarding early patient screenings. Ohio has higher NBEO passage rates, and is more research focused it seems, which might be something I'm interested in doing.

I am also swayed by financial reasons, since with Ohio in-state tuition for the remainder of years after the 1st year of 50k I would be eventually saving 30k!!

What do you guys think, and for those who had to decide between these two schools how did you decide?!?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that you start seeing patients first year at Ohio State as well. When I was looking into them I remember seeing that somewhere in my research.
As far as which school to pick, I can't help you much. Both have extremely good and reputable programs. If you were already accepted at NECO, would you have to put deposits down before you'd interview and hear back from OSU?

Patient care does begin the first year at Ohio http://optometry.osu.edu/futurestudents/Curriculum.cfm , you basically do tech work/pre-testing for upperclassmen from how I understood it. I've gotten the sense from doctors I have spoken to that Ohio has a better reputation than NECO, but from speaking with students they both sound like great programs! Plus NECO has Boston to offer (if that is a draw or a deterrent for you) and in terms of research I am sure you could do research at NECO as well, especially with Mass Eye and Ear / Schepens being so close I would assume they have partnerships that might be worth looking into if you are interested. I didn't apply to NECO partly because I am from the Boston area and wanted a change and partly because all three of the doctors I worked for told me not to apply there (one currently employs a lot of NECO students as techs), but if you have any more questions about Ohio I would be happy to help! Best of luck!

I am biased toward Ohio State because that's where I went to undergrad and I'll be starting optometry there this fall. I think you should go to the interview and decide from there. If OSU is going to be cheaper that is a huge advantage.

You help with pretesting and taking history first year. Then second semester of second year you start doing full exams on friends and family, and then start official exams third year.

I know nothing about NECO. So I can't help there. I think the best way to decide is to go to the other interview so you can see it for yourself and pick the one where you felt most comfortable.