OHSU - New Chair Search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soparklion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true, I heard a rumor that OHSU needed a new chair for Anes & Periop Med...

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares? Chairs come and go all the time. At the ASA a few years ago, data they reviewed showed that chairs last on average 4/5 years. Program directors are even less and average 3 years.

Who cares? Chairs come and go all the time. At the ASA a few years ago, data they reviewed showed that chairs last on average 4/5 years. Program directors are even less and average 3 years.

That's kinda sad. I'd be pretty bummed if my current PD left. I wonder if it's like that for the other fields?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's kinda sad. I'd be pretty bummed if my current PD left. I wonder if it's like that for the other fields?
I'm exceptionally bummed. Our PD just stepped down. He's been PD for something around 15 years and apparently it has been a "work in progress" as he's had a plan to leave for 2 years now (I.e. since before I interviewed here). Feels like a bait and switch, as he was certainly a major component of my choosing this program. Here's to hoping the remaining 3 years go well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm exceptionally bummed. Our PD just stepped down. He's been PD for something around 15 years and apparently it has been a "work in progress" as he's had a plan to leave for 2 years now (I.e. since before I interviewed here). Feels like a bait and switch, as he was certainly a major component of my choosing this program. Here's to hoping the remaining 3 years go well.
Sounds like when a coach recruits you and then takes another coaching job

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like when a coach recruits you and then takes another coaching job
Yeah and it SUUUCKS. I can tell you that a large number of residents in my program came here "for him" because he is just that awesome. Really, I like the new PD, but I doubt he'll draw the same people to the program. I guess time will tell. I anticipate there will be very few changes initially because they're trying to make it a smooth transition and have the old PD guide the new PD in his new position, but it's anyone's guess what my last couple years will be like.

I have 8 days left until I finish residency at OHSU for anesthesia. This news came to the entire department (including the chair) one morning about 2 weeks ago, all at once, without warning, from the higher ups. We were all shocked and left wondering why such a sudden change - after all, Dr Kirsch led us to become what it is now nationally recognized as one of the top programs in the country with stellar research and clinical experience. He recruited amazing faculty that do a great deal as a whole for us residents. There are still a few great things that are softening this sudden unexpected transition in our chair:

1) The new interim chair Dr Robinson has been at OHSU for over 30 years as an attending. He is a great leader already, and it was an obvious option given the circumstances to have him be our now interim chair. The leadership in the department continues to be strong.

2) Dr Kirsch's recruitment lives on in our faculty. Though he as an individual continues to be an amazing teacher and advocate, he brought many teachers and advocates to our department that will continue to make us a great place to train.

3) Our program director Emily Baird is fantastic. I am JEALOUS that I don't get to have her as my PD for residency (but I AM overall glad residency is over soon for me!). You (@abolt) should feel proud and excited you get to spend the next 3 years with her. You are going to be great because of her leadership.

Yes, this was a dramatic change, but no, I don't see our residency program being harmed by this. We just have too many good people to learn from, the APOM environment is just too supportive, and our case mixes and training experience is just too comprehensive and rigorous for the program to falter.

I should clarify that I am NOT at OHSU, only was commenting regarding the challenges and concerns associated with the transition of leadership at my own program... I know nothing at all about OHSU and their changes.

What are the circumstances of Kirsch being replaced? From what I understand he was a legendary leader and very well liked. Is he getting promoted to a higher up position at OHSU or leaving to be a dean somewhere else or something?

What are the circumstances of Kirsch being replaced? From what I understand he was a legendary leader and very well liked. Is he getting promoted to a higher up position at OHSU or leaving to be a dean somewhere else or something?

It's a great question. From what we know it was a decision made in the dean's office without the input from the APOM department. The board has the ability to hire and fire whoever they please without sharing their reason. Their decision was so sudden that it required the hospital CEO to step in as acting chair for about 10 days until they appointed our now interim chair Dr Robinson.

I think it's safe to say we remain confused about the decision to change our chair, especially since we as a whole are a thriving department that is deeply integrated more than ever in the safety of the hospital and the management of the ICUs.

What's clear is that this change in leadership does not represent a sign that our department is weak or struggling. On the contrary we are and will continue to be leaders in pain management, patient safety, education, and research.

It's a great question. From what we know it was a decision made in the dean's office without the input from the APOM department. The board has the ability to hire and fire whoever they please without sharing their reason. Their decision was so sudden that it required the hospital CEO to step in as acting chair for about 10 days until they appointed our now interim chair Dr Robinson.

I think it's safe to say we remain confused about the decision to change our chair, especially since we as a whole are a thriving department that is deeply integrated more than ever in the safety of the hospital and the management of the ICUs.

What's clear is that this change in leadership does not represent a sign that our department is weak or struggling. On the contrary we are and will continue to be leaders in pain management, patient safety, education, and research.
It sounds like you are putting a positive spin on an awfully fishy situation. Not that there’s anything wrong with that I think anyone who is thinking optimistically would do the same thing. But as details roll into this thread this sounds less like “business as usual” and more like something went sideways somewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
It sounds like you are putting a positive spin on an awfully fishy situation. Not that there’s anything wrong with that I think anyone who is thinking optimistically would do the same thing. But as details roll into this thread this sounds less like “business as usual” and more like something went sideways somewhere.

My own personal interpretation of the limited information the board is revealing with us is there was a difference of opinion amongst the individuals on the board and they used their powers to oust our chair for that difference of opinion. I don't think I'm taking a crazy leap by saying that's a commonly shared interpretation amongst members of our department.

Maybe Lebron recruited him to LA...traded that other guy back to the Midwest

You know, I tend be maybe a bit more positive on these forums than some. Maybe I look at things through rose-tinted glasses since I’m (finally) making good money, or I’m just naive/green. Then I read this...

Cmon man, this is looking at the situation through Stevie Wonder-tinted glasses. Emergency firings/demotions requiring the hospital CEO to come in while an interim replacement is found doesn’t happen everyday. Are you on the department’s PR payroll - I’m sorry, the “APOM” payroll? You can’t really believe what you’re typing... right? Love how you hit the buzz words, though.

Regardless, It’s doubtful any of these will affect the residency program at all in the immediate future. Despite all residents thinking the department is about them, trust me it isn’t and the chair’s only real concern relating to the program is having a PD to handle the issues that come up. In a large, multi-specialty academic department there are MUCH bigger fish to fry on a daily basis. It is possible that over months to years a chair can have an effect on the program mostly through faculty changes... but I doubt anything will change for you. Certainly not in your last week of residency.

My program recently went through a chair stepping down as well (last month). But there were signs that this was happening. The official announcement came during a department meeting.
Our interim chair is absolutely the right man for the job. I'm extremely optimistic about it.

However, this has been in the works for months if not a year. And the people were immediately stepping into a smooth transition and all the changes are for the positive.
Sometimes a change in leadership is a good thing, and doesn't necessarily mean anything was wrong was the old chair. But, there were none of:

Their decision was so sudden that it required the hospital CEO to step in as acting chair for about 10 days until they appointed our now interim chair Dr Robinson.

This is a sign something so urgent had to be done that an interim chair wasn't even approached....

@ethilo has a great future in PR if anes doesn't work out for him, but there is something being kept under wraps here.

My own personal interpretation of the limited information the board is revealing with us is there was a difference of opinion amongst the individuals on the board and they used their powers to oust our chair for that difference of opinion. I don't think I'm taking a crazy leap by saying that's a commonly shared interpretation amongst members of our department.

Like one side thinks that committing a felony is wrong. But the opinion of the other side is nah, felonies are negotiable?

That kind of difference of opinion?

or did one of them prefer their scotch neat and the other one splashed a drop of water in it?