Ois Navy Travel Questions???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I requested through NROWS an OIS session this summer. The session starts on a Monday so I requested a Sunday afternoon flight arrival. Anyone know how long before OIS starts the tickets are mailed to us? When my NROWS order was completed, it said to report by 0700 hours on Sunday. To do that I would have to travel on Saturday. Anyone know the OFFICIAL reporting hours and day for OIS? Is it enforced or just a guideline? Obviously don't want to arrive and find the gate closed:) I guess I can ask NROWS to reschedule my flight plans if 0700 is a hard and fast deadline. Maybe it's better to just drive.

The orders also said the duty would last 46 days, a week past graduation. I'm assuming we don't spend another week at Newport? OIS doc says not to request a return flight sooner than 1600 hours on graduation day.

Members don't see this ad.

Piers said:
I requested through NROWS an OIS session this summer. The session starts on a Monday so I requested a Sunday afternoon flight arrival. Anyone know how long before OIS starts the tickets are mailed to us? When my NROWS order was completed, it said to report by 0700 hours on Sunday. To do that I would have to travel on Saturday. Anyone know the OFFICIAL reporting hours and day for OIS? Is it enforced or just a guideline? Obviously don't want to arrive and find the gate closed:) I guess I can ask NROWS to reschedule my flight plans if 0700 is a hard and fast deadline. Maybe it's better to just drive.

The orders also said the duty would last 46 days, a week past graduation. I'm assuming we don't spend another week at Newport? OIS doc says not to request a return flight sooner than 1600 hours on graduation day.

I ran into the same problem regarding travel dates. I am going to the June 26-July 28 OIS. Originally, I set my travel date as June 25th through the NROWS application, but officers who reviewed my application changed it to June 24th.

Although OIS is only 5 weeks, orders say that it is 46 days: the HPSP manual states, in effect, that all training is 45 days. Basically, the final 10 days will be spent at home or getting ready for medical school.

What is your OIS date?

That is my session also. Will see you there. Do you know when the tickets are sent or do we access them somehow through NROWS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Government tickets are e-tickets these days. You should get an e-mail confirming travel. If you don't have one ping Code OH at [email protected].

Take a shuttle from the airport to Newport. (you do get reimbursed) and the lights are pretty much always on.

Having gone to OIS this summer you should really consider arriving on saturday. you will need that time to get settled and make a trip to the exchange to get all of the things you forgot. Right now I can not mention what goes on here but I will tell you that you will wish you got here on saturday and not Sunday afternoon. My plane tickets were e-tickets and they were faxed to me with my orders. And yes the last 11 days or so of your orders are your school orders. You will have to check in at the reserve center on your orders like the day after graduation and they will stamp your orders. You might have to go back to the reserve center on your last day of orders to just check out but that is all. You will not have to work or anything. Hope that helps.

Piers said:

Once you get your government issued tickets they are easy to call up and change times/dates, etc.

Piers said:
That is my session also. Will see you there. Do you know when the tickets are sent or do we access them somehow through NROWS?
I'm expecting an e-mail in the next few days regarding my ticket. NROWS just verified my travel arrangements.