Okayish Step but horrid COMLEX. Do I still have a shot at radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I just got my COMLEX results back and they were about as bad as I expected. I had a physical symptom happen that day that ruined me the entire day. My Step came out a 231, but my COMLEX is just below a 500. Are there going to be programs that overlook that? I would be happy getting into any radiology residency and realize I don't have room to be choosey. I just wanted to see if that COMLEX was a death sentence or if program directors would even care.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be surprised if program directors even looked at the COMLEX score tbh, as long as you didn't fail it you should be fine

Reactions: 1 users
I had a PD from a mid-tier academic say in person to me they 100% ignore comlex cause it’s the “bad test” haha

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No1 will give a **** about your comlex. Although your step is well below the median which definitely should be more of a concern.

No1 will give a **** about your comlex. Although your step is well below the median which definitely should be more of a concern.

I wouldn't exactly call it a concern. 98% of applicants with a score in that range matched in 2020.

Reactions: 1 user
How is the mean a 240 but 220 plus has about 90 percent match rate? Is there that big of a discrepancy between uni and comm programs?

How is the mean a 240 but 220 plus has about 90 percent match rate? Is there that big of a discrepancy between uni and comm programs?

Huge differences in terms of education, resources, faculty etc

Reactions: 1 user
So the overall sentiment is that I'll still be fine to apply even if I'm below average? I interpreted the results as I'd likely be ok at that score and I wouldn't care what type of program I go to as I'd be thankful to be a radiologist at all.

Reactions: 1 users