Old GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading these threads for awhile, but this is the first time I have a question!

I took the GRE in the summer of 2008. I am planning on applying to clinical psych phD programs in the Fall of 2010 (class entering 2011). I know ETS keeps scores for 3 years. I did really well (over 1400), and I am afraid I won't do as well again, now that I have been out of college for 2 years. I would really like to send those scores in next fall when I apply.

Do most clinical psych programs take 2 year old GRE scores, or do they need them to be more recent? If so, I better start studying again.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought your scores are good for five years? I also believe schools accepts GRE scores up to five years old....

Members don't see this ad :)
Most if not all should take those. Each program will state requirements on their website to double check. Congrats on a great score!

Thanks! I actually just looked on ETS.org, and they will send scores since July 2004. So it is 5 years not 3 years, I don't want to lead anyone astray!

I wound up having to contact the universities to see what their individual cutoff dates were -- though the ETS will send scores from July of 2004, some schools state that the GRE must be taken within five years of their programs' application deadlines. It seems the question is which date keeps their departments in good standing with the APA accreditation policies... Never did get to the bottom of that one.

Last edited: