Old Letter of Rec from 2019 can I use for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anchor26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 letters of rec from 2019 that I haven't been able to update they are from a non science and science professor. I am going to reach out for a third time to see if they can update the date. I graduated in 2018 and do not have a committee letter. I also have not taken classes since then. How bad will it be if I can't get them to update the date? I have a new letter from an MD and volunteer supervisor and my research advisors updated the date on their letters.

It is just that the main non science and one science are dated in 2019. I have 7 total letters and don't know if I need to ask for 2 new ones due to the date on the letters. Everything is on Interfolio already so I could send them as is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay thank you. I am trying to get the update. I have not used the letter before, but if I can't get a recent date, should I ask someone else for a completely new letter instead (knowing it could be a less strong letter compared to the one I am not able to update)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is different, but since you have a couple of letters that will be new, my committees wouldn't have a problem with that, even if it isn't a professor letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you so much for your reply! I will do my best to keep trying to get the update and if I can't I will reach out to the schools I am applying to and see if I can get an exception if necessary.