Old LOR's question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biohazard86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was planning on applying last year to schools, so I got most of my letters into Interfolio between May 2011 and July 2011. However, I didn't end up applying and decided to apply this year instead. So when I submit my app this year all my letters will be roughly one year old....is this okay? Or would all my letters being a year old cause a problem?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I was planning on applying last year to schools, so I got most of my letters into Interfolio between May 2011 and July 2011. However, I didn't end up applying and decided to apply this year instead. So when I submit my app this year all my letters will be roughly one year old....is this okay? Or would all my letters being a year old cause a problem?

Thanks,

No, your letters will be okay. If one of those letters is a committee packet, you can ask your premed advisor to write an update letter. They'll basically take your past committee letter and attach an update to it with anything that you've done the past year. But this isn't necessary, since you aren't reapplying.

Just a reminder... be sure to renew your Interfolio account so you have continued access to all your letters. Good luck this upcoming cycle. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys recommend I send my LOR's to interfolio now, even though it looks like I won't apply until next year? I'd rather get the letters now instead of waiting a whole year after taking classes to ask, or should I ask LOR's to write it out, and then send it next year?

I would have them do it immediately. You will be surpised with how long it takes. Took some of my teachers 4 months to write a letter and even my old boss took about 6 months. It's only ~20$ a year for interfolio.

Besides them forgetting, I'm am also afraid they may take months to finally get around doing them for me. That reminds me that I should get a LOR asap from my former manager where I worked until I left to finish all my classes 5 months ago.

I'm just not sure yet on if I want them to send a separate LOR for MD schools, as I won't know how competitive I'll be until I take the MCAT. You think I should have the two I can get LOR's from to send one to Interfolio and one to whatever system allopathic schools use?

Last edited:
Can't you send the LORs from Interfolio to AMCAS when you apply? if you can, I'd just have them send the LOR to interfolio now, and then when application season opens up, just send them from Interfolio to AMCAS. Boom, done. That Was Easy.

Can't you send the LORs from Interfolio to AMCAS when you apply? if you can, I'd just have them send the LOR to interfolio now, and then when application season opens up, just send them from Interfolio to AMCAS. Boom, done. That Was Easy.

Ha, cool. I thought AMCAS had their own letter service, so I wasn't sure if I can do everything through Interfolio. I was going to ask my biochem teacher, and my grad school advisor (non-science) for letters, but wasn't sure if I should have LOR's in the system for a year before I apply June 2013.

AMCAS does have its own letter service, but I think they will accept LORs from interfolio as well. That way you don't need to worry about having professors send LORs to interfolio now, and then again to AMCAS later. Just send Interfolio -> AMCAS.

That's what I was trying to get at.

AMCAS does have its own letter service, but I think they will accept LORs from interfolio as well. That way you don't need to worry about having professors send LORs to interfolio now, and then again to AMCAS later. Just send Interfolio -> AMCAS.

That's what I was trying to get at.

I see what you're saying. I'm going to create an account and start getting my LOR's in there now, rather then wait next year. Since I will be a first time applicant next year, I don't think it'll be a big deal if the LOR's are a year old.