Old topic but what is considered strong ties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnarchyAshley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be consider a state as one you have strong ties with, what would that include? My parent were both born and raised there? I have family still living in the state? My mom argued (because she is clearly an expert without even doing the research) that it would only count if you have family who graduated from that school but personally that doesn't make any sense. If that were the case, then it would just be strong ties to the school and not to the state.

Members don't see this ad.

To be consider a state as one you have strong ties with, what would that include? My parent were both born and raised there? I have family still living in the state? My mom argued (because she is clearly an expert without even doing the research) that it would only count if you have family who graduated from that school but personally that doesn't make any sense. If that were the case, then it would just be strong ties to the school and not to the state.

Depends on the school.

I know that MUSC will consider just having relatives in the state as "strong ties".

I'd call the admissions office and ask.

Reactions: 1 user
-Did your undergrad at that particular state school
-Have a spouse in the area
-Spent the majority of your life in that area

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, it seems like to justify ties, you should have lived there. But who knows, maybe more distant ties count as well.

It depends, some schools will do everything possible to try to discredit your ties to the state so it is always best to ask the school directly.

I wasn't even considered at a school in a state I lived in for 18 years (I only left to go to college), where one of my parents (and one of my grandparents) and my daughter lives and where I own property. My AMCAS showed I had pretty strong connections to the state.

I also wasn't considered to have strong ties to a school near where my husband lives in a different state because I never lived there.

In my own state, where I have lived for 16 years, vote, attend school, have a DL, where my other parent and grandparent live and where my family owns property, they tried to argue that I had no ties at all to the state because I wasn't born here.

It can mean a variety of things. Sometimes it means that you've lived there before, sometimes it means that you have family in the area, sometimes it means that your spouse works there and you want to join them, etc.. There is no absolutely definition. The post above should make that pretty clear.