Oldest Person in Vet School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lady_Koolaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was the oldest Vet student that anyone was has ever heard of. And what were their circumstances, if you know? I am already 28 and still completely completing pre-reqs before transferring to a University for my BA, but this is what I love to do and what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What was the oldest Vet student that anyone was has ever heard of. And what were their circumstances, if you know? I am already 28 and still completely completing pre-reqs before transferring to a University for my BA, but this is what I love to do and what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Some people in my class are in their late 30's and even late 40's. One might be 50.

It's truly not a factor in school at all. The main goal in everybody's mind is learning, and doing the best they can while in school. Typically the older students have interesting life stories anyways, and bring much more life experience to the table. I would much rather take a class of older students than a class full of 20 year olds!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there was a student at Cornell who was like 60, but she ended up getting expelled because she lied about her dog being aggressive and it bit a couple student clinicians. D:

Are you seriously wondering if you're "old" for vet school when you're 28?

We had a dude in his 50s, a gaggle of sassy ladies in their 40s, dozens of people in their 30s...

Reactions: 2 users
As others have said, 28 is not old at all. I think 26/27 was the median age for my class, with the oldest students being in their mid-40s.

Are you seriously wondering if you're "old" for vet school when you're 28?

We had a dude in his 50s, a gaggle of sassy ladies in their 40s, dozens of people in their 30s...
It's not that I'm wondering if I'm "too old", it's just that I was at a junior college before, and I was an English major. I took a break. A long break. And in that break I was at a CVT school for about a year. It turned out to be be this total for-profit scam type deal, plus I realized being a CVT isn't really what I want. I want to be a DVM. But I did learn a lot about the medicine, and I absolutely fell in love with doing this. I really think I've found what I want to do. I'm 50/60 down for my AA, but the pre-reqs for Animal Sciences is totally different than for English (obviously), so I'll be in my late-30's by the time I get there. I just wanted to get a grasp on how much of a sore thumb I'd be.

And these replies are reassuring. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I finished in my mid 40s. I was a theology major, so it isn't like I had some amazing science background. If you can get through the pre-reqs you will be fine.

I completely disagree with @K9Mechanic that it "is truly not a factor". Doing vet school in your 40s or later is far more exhausting than it would have been for me in my 20s. And, while I was pleasantly surprised to find that my classmates didn't seem to give a rip about my age, there was a different dynamic to being older that changes how you interact with them as well as the faculty.

But the OP is 28, which is actually not far off the average age for my class. So I wouldn't really even consider her to be "older". She'll be a bit older if she starts at 30-31-32 or whatever, but not enough to matter.

One advantage once you graduate: when I say "in my experience" to my clients, they never realize that's a grand total of 7 months........

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
It's not that I'm wondering if I'm "too old", it's just that I was at a junior college before, and I was an English major. I took a break. A long break. And in that break I was at a CVT school for about a year. It turned out to be be this total for-profit scam type deal, plus I realized being a CVT isn't really what I want. I want to be a DVM. But I did learn a lot about the medicine, and I absolutely fell in love with doing this. I really think I've found what I want to do. I'm 50/60 down for my AA, but the pre-reqs for Animal Sciences is totally different than for English (obviously), so I'll be in my late-30's by the time I get there. I just wanted to get a grasp on how much of a sore thumb I'd be.

And these replies are reassuring. Thank you.

Why will it take you 10 years to do vet school pre-reqs and apply for vet school? I can see why you'd graduate in your late 30's, but if vet school is what you want you should be able to hack out the pre-reqs and be able to apply within a few years, possibly even as few as 2 years, 4 years if you want a bachelor's.

And, while I was pleasantly surprised to find that my classmates didn't seem to give a rip about my age, there was a different dynamic to being older that changes how you interact with them as well as the faculty.

This was my experience going back to do the pre-reqs, even though I'm only in my late 20s. The school I was at hardly had any returning or older students, which I'm sure played a role in classmates treating me a little differently. Faculty talked to me differently, too, especially my advisor. Overall, I met a grand total of one person who wasn't a traditional student/was over 21 and had a few instructors who were younger than me. But it really wasn't a big deal - just a little bit awkward sometimes, but I feel like that was just the environment there. Other schools have a more diverse undergrad body, which I'm sure makes a difference. And in grad school, at least, you expect more diverse demographics, and I imagine professional programs are similar, so you're not really an outlier if you're in your early 30s.

One advantage once you graduate: when I say "in my experience" to my clients, they never realize that's a grand total of 7 months........

One of the many reasons I've resolved to never dye my already-greying hair. :D

there was a different dynamic to being older that changes how you interact with them as well as the faculty.

Very true - and that has good and bad sides to it (like everything). I graduated at 39, and the oldest in my class was 42 I think. Since then I've known of vet students in their 50s.

The only reason you might want to think twice about it has to do with the amount of student loan debt US vets are carrying these days -- unless you're old enough (or fortunate enough) to have some significant savings and be able to decrease the amount of student debt, graduating older means you'll have fewer years with which to pay off that debt (i.e. you'll be living with significant debt for longer). Be sure to consider the numbers. That goes for all potential US vet students, but take age into consideration too (plans to marry? plans to have children?).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 27! I love being a smidge older then your average student. If I end up starting vet school next year I think my experience will only assist me as I work to limit my distractions and stay focused. I was not ready for graduate school in my early twenties, and the experiences and lessons that I've gained in the time being have played a considerable role in what I hope to accomplish after I graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly didn't pay any attention to the ages of anyone in my class. They mentioned it once when we were orienting (the average age of the class), but that was it.

Why will it take you 10 years to do vet school pre-reqs and apply for vet school? I can see why you'd graduate in your late 30's, but if vet school is what you want you should be able to hack out the pre-reqs and be able to apply within a few years, possibly even as few as 2 years, 4 years if you want a bachelor's.
Sorry, I meant early 30's when I get there. It was late at night when I replied to that.

I love this thread! I'll be in my early 40s when I finish veterinary school (assuming I get in). I tried to take pre-requisites ten years ago, but the class schedule didn't fit with my job at the time. At that point, I worried about being old and getting out of school in my 30s. lol

It's daunting to start a new career at this point, but I'd much rather follow my passion than work in a stable but unfulfilling job.

We have a third year who I'm estimating is at least in her 50s if not 60s. Hopefully I'm not completely over-aging her haha. In my class, I think the oldest is in her 30s.

I don't bat an eye at 28. If you were in your 40s or older, I would also wonder what your interests are. You might have less years to work with equine/LA if you're starting out older. That's tough on your body. I was chatting with one of the LA residents (early 30s?) and she was telling me how she's already having back issues and knee issues from a bad kick.

Also like LIS said, if you appear a bit older, you're likely to be taken more seriously by clients right off the bat! We had a recent grad as a relief doctor who was having trouble with that.

We have a third year at our school that is, I believe, 61. No one even thinks twice about it. We're all here for the same degree, even if some of us got here a little later than others. I'm older than most of my classmates, but it's never been an issue. The only thing that ever comes up is that I make references to shows/music/movies/etc. that many of the young'uns don't get. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Although with people who are older who apply, for example over 45 yrs old, it most likely will be more difficult for them to get into Vet school than if they were 25 years old. I say this because I know some people on admissions and although Vet schools will probably not say outright that their age in the reason they weren't accepted, the older a person is can be a negative then when it comes down to an acceptance. If they are that much older like in their 50s, they could be turned down because they will not be in practice that long (because by the time they graduate they'll be about 57 years old and only practice for 15-20 years. In their minds that seat could be used for someone younger who will practice for 50-60 years. This is coming straight from people who have been on the interview committee for several schools who I know that have said this (not myself)! So they also said that if that person IS older who is applying, they should have a lot to show such as a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree (several), and good life experience and jobs, as well as vet experience. Again this is not at all to deter anyone, and I do not care personally what age anyone is who tries to become a Vet (more power to them if they decide they would love to do it)!

Although with people who are older who apply, for example over 45 yrs old, it most likely will be more difficult for them to get into Vet school than if they were 25 years old. I say this because I know some people on admissions and although Vet schools will probably not say outright that their age in the reason they weren't accepted, the older a person is can be a negative then when it comes down to an acceptance. If they are that much older like in their 50s, they could be turned down because they will not be in practice that long (because by the time they graduate they'll be about 57 years old and only practice for 15-20 years. In their minds that seat could be used for someone younger who will practice for 50-60 years. This is coming straight from people who have been on the interview committee for several schools who I know that have said this (not myself)! So they also said that if that person IS older who is applying, they should have a lot to show such as a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree (several), and good life experience and jobs, as well as vet experience. Again this is not at all to deter anyone, and I do not care personally what age anyone is who tries to become a Vet (more power to them if they decide they would love to do it)!

I just just applied and got in this cycle. My experience was that being an older student gave me a large advantage in the interview because I was so much more comfortable with public speaking and selling myself. If you have diverse experiences they can definitely help you punch through, imo.

because by the time they graduate they'll be about 57 years old and only practice for 15-20 years. In their minds that seat could be used for someone younger who will practice for 50-60 years.
Wow, they don't believe in retirement, do they? Apparently they think vets will be practicing into their late 70s and early 80s! (Then again, with the average student debt in the US, they may need to.) I plan to retire long before my 75th birthday!

I just just applied and got in this cycle. My experience was that being an older student gave me a large advantage in the interview because I was so much more comfortable with public speaking and selling myself. If you have diverse experiences they can definitely help you punch through, imo.

Absolutely, and especially having diverse experience will always help any candidate.

Wow, they don't believe in retirement, do they? Apparently they think vets will be practicing into their late 70s and early 80s! (Then again, with the average student debt in the US, they may need to.) I plan to retire long before my 75th birthday!

Well even 20 years difference practicing makes a difference to them. This is just coming from two people's perspectives that have been on the interview committee (and how they all felt). This does not mean that every person on the committee will feel this way.

With the way this week is going I may decide to retire next week.
I haven't even graduated yet and there have been some days that make me want to retire.... all depends on the clients, patients, and if the cases are crappy or not.

I would have to stop being a student at some point to retire from a job. :cyclops:

There might be a few schools where this is true, but I seriously doubt it is a widespread problem.

I applied to 4 schools, got into 3 and was waitlisted at 1(and eventually invited off the waitlist). They all seemed pretty happy to have someone of my extensive lifespan.

I was the oldest in my class, but there were 2 others within a year of me.
In the class behind us there was a guy 10 years older than me (shockingly in his 50s!!!).

I didn't find much difference in my interaction with the faculty or the students, but that was just me.

I did find it was significantly more difficult for me, as there was no way I could study the way I did when I was younger, or the way others did to get through school. Memorization was a beyotch for me.

There might be a few schools where this is true, but I seriously doubt it is a widespread problem.

I second this. All the schools have slightly different admissions criteria and philosophy. Don't be scared, old people!

In my class, we have a person in their mid 50s, I would guess. Other classes have similarly aged or older students. We also have a smattering of late 30-40 year olds. I am 29 and just starting. It doesn't really matter.

I'm in third year, currently 35 years old, and I'm not the oldest person in my class.

My reasons for not going the traditional route:
1) I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was 17 and first started college
2) Untreated health problems for like a decade

Eventually I figured out what I wanted to do (be a vet) and how to get it done (go see a doctor/get treatment etc.), and one well-written VMCAS explanation statement later, voila, suddenly I find myself a 3rd year vet student. I don't even think about the age difference between myself and my classmates most days.

One school spent the entire interview beating on me for my age, having children, etc. How would I cope? Do I realize how hard school is?
While another school corrected me for assuming my age was a negative & gave me a lengthy uplifting speech.
They're all different.

One school spent the entire interview beating on me for my age, having children, etc. How would I cope? Do I realize how hard school is?
While another school corrected me for assuming my age was a negative & gave me a lengthy uplifting speech.
They're all different.
I may need to know which school was supportive. I have gotten a lot of crap too.

I'm so happy that @StartingoverVet and @LetItSnow posted in this thread. They are basically the oldest dirtiest men ever. I'm just saying, it's like a regular lemon party up in here.
This place really misses your snark. There is no replacement for Nyan.
Hope things are going crappily well for you wherever the hell you are.

The veterinarian who I worked under for 2+ years was one of the older students at OSU. She graduated around 4 years ago and was 39 at the time. She is a excellent mixed animal vet and has a lot of happy clients that even come from out of state. I wouldn't say that age is a problem unless it is physical attributes (large animal, equine medicine) that they cannot perform. However, I believe that older students should be welcomed from their tons of experience by just being older.

I know there was a comment about how a vet school asked about how an older student would be able to cope with stress. I believe that the majority of older students would be able to cope just as well, if not better than traditional students given they have probably had a lot more experience with it. Plus I love those "Back in the day..." stories

The veterinarian who I worked under for 2+ years was one of the older students at OSU. She graduated around 4 years ago and was 39 at the time. She is a excellent mixed animal vet and has a lot of happy clients that even come from out of state. I wouldn't say that age is a problem unless it is physical attributes (large animal, equine medicine) that they cannot perform. However, I believe that older students should be welcomed from their tons of experience by just being older.

I know there was a comment about how a vet school asked about how an older student would be able to cope with stress. I believe that the majority of older students would be able to cope just as well, if not better than traditional students given they have probably had a lot more experience with it. Plus I love those "Back in the day..." stories
I totally agree with that. I feel like the older students I know are much more chill. That isn't to say they blow anything off, but they seem to have a better grasp on school-life balance (often because they're married already too) and know when to take time for themselves. The rest of us seem to always be in go-go-go mode.

Ok. well. I'll be 43 when I graduate from vet school. And I'm not the oldest in my class. So far so good no issue regarding age. I feel good to be around young people because it makes me feel young again; :) Whoop!

I second this. All the schools have slightly different admissions criteria and philosophy. Don't be scared, old people!

In my class, we have a person in their mid 50s, I would guess. Other classes have similarly aged or older students. We also have a smattering of late 30-40 year olds. I am 29 and just starting. It doesn't really matter.
I'll be 33-34 by the time I get around to applying for Vet Schools. How bad will that be?

I'll be 33-34 by the time I get around to applying for Vet Schools. How bad will that be?
You'll be fine! Look how many members on this board are older. It's doable and very common.

If they are that much older like in their 50s, they could be turned down because they will not be in practice that long (because by the time they graduate they'll be about 57 years old and only practice for 15-20 years. In their minds that seat could be used for someone younger who will practice for 50-60 years.

I'd say that's a good thing, considering how many new vets they're cranking out every year.