Omfs CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can rank be compensated for w high CBSE (70+)

• Yes

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

omgomfs

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Simple answer is yes. I know some PDs may not consider you if your rank is very low. This really depends on the rest of your application and the program in my opinion.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions!

I say no.
Rank is rank and cbse is cbse.
Toward the end of my residency, so many applicants had good rank and cbse so in my opinion, 70+ cbse with a low rank doesnt rly stand out.

Plus, you can retake cbse but rank is forever so def dont sacrifice school efforts to study for cbse

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I say no.
Rank is rank and cbse is cbse.
Toward the end of my residency, so many applicants had good rank and cbse so in my opinion, 70+ cbse with a low rank doesnt rly stand out.

Plus, you can retake cbse but rank is forever so def dont sacrifice school efforts to study for cbse
hm interesting take, thanks for sharing

Admittedly, this does not answer your question in any way but I'm just going to get on my soap box for a second.

I understand the significance placed on the CBSE when it comes to the application to OMFS, but I firmly believe that this exam has grown larger than its original intent. While a certain score can somewhat predict an applicant's ability to pass Step 1, it holds very little merit beyond that. In my opinion, an applicant with a score of 70 should be considered on par with an applicant who scored 99 in terms of their overall application. Imposing strict cutoffs from the perspective of program directors is not helpful, although I understand their rationale for doing so. I apologize for rambling, but discussions about the CBSE always ignite my thoughts. The application process is far from perfect; however, it currently remains our best option. Hopefully, someone more insightful than me can devise a superior measure for OMFS applications in the near future. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Admittedly, this does not answer your question in any way but I'm just going to get on my soap box for a second.

I understand the significance placed on the CBSE when it comes to the application to OMFS, but I firmly believe that this exam has grown larger than its original intent. While a certain score can somewhat predict an applicant's ability to pass Step 1, it holds very little merit beyond that. In my opinion, an applicant with a score of 70 should be considered on par with an applicant who scored 99 in terms of their overall application. Imposing strict cutoffs from the perspective of program directors is not helpful, although I understand their rationale for doing so. I apologize for rambling, but discussions about the CBSE always ignite my thoughts. The application process is far from perfect; however, it currently remains our best option. Hopefully, someone more insightful than me can devise a superior measure for OMFS applications in the near future. Best of luck.

How do you feel about rank? Should all applicants above 25% be considered the same?

Since there are P/F schools it really isnt fair to consider rank at all /s
So if I get an applicant who ranks last in the class I should ignore that based on fact that other schools have "no rank". I disagree. Each "part" of an application counts but how much it counts will vary on what I am able to obtain from application. No class rank or GPA, then I will be using CBSE, Letters of Recc, the PS, Externships, undergrad transcripts, back channel communications, etc. All parts of an application are on the table.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah i was being sarcastic /s. Curious though if someone was ranked last is there a cbse score out there that could save them
Probably not if they rank last. Thats pretty much a nope for any OMS program. Shows the person did not care during dental school. It's a very bad look. But if you were near the bottom of the class, had a good CBSE, internship or something plus some intangible things (leadership, research), and could explain the poor didactic/clinical performance. Maybe......

So if I get an applicant who ranks last in the class I should ignore that based on fact that other schools have "no rank". I disagree. Each "part" of an application counts but how much it counts will vary on what I am able to obtain from application. No class rank or GPA, then I will be using CBSE, Letters of Recc, the PS, Externships, undergrad transcripts, back channel communications, etc. All parts of an application are on the table.
What is your definition of “back channel communications” ? Thank You

What is your definition of “back channel communications” ? Thank You
What do you think it is?.....Most PD's know each other and speak somewhat regularly. If a program has candidate that is good or bad. We know. Candidates/Applicants rarely fool PD's. There is a lot more to it than that but be assured. The OMS academic community is small, we all talk.

Reactions: 1 users