OMFS example interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnycon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some examples of questions asked at OMFS interviews? I know there is probably a broad range of questions that have been asked, but what are the questions you feel were commonly asked at interviews?

Thanks for taking time to answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some of the questions they asked me:

1. "If it was less than an ounce, then why did it go on your permanent record?"

2. "Why do you keep staring at the photo of my daughter?"

here are 2 toothpicks and some aspirins. now stack them on top of one another :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Following are questions one should consider prior to omfs interview....

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?

Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?

If rabbits' feet are so lucky, then what happened to the rabbit?

If you can't drink and drive, why do bars have parking lots?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

If Jack helped you off a horse, would you help Jack off a horse?

Why do men have nipples?

Can I lose my contact lens inside my head forever?

Why do men have nipples?

Can I lose my contact lens inside my head forever?

"What's the difference between vaginal and buccal mucosa?"

Showing pictures of various OMFS faculty from across the country:

"Please match each faculty member with the animal that they most closely resemble"

1) Who handles soft tissue better, the Periodontist or the Oral Surgeon?
2) How come you look so ******ed?
3) Would you find my daughter attractive? (showing you picture of very ugly woman). Well, then how about my wife? (even worse picture!)

What are some examples of questions asked at OMFS interviews? !

You ever danced with the devil, in the pale moonlight?

Wait - Was that my OMFS interview, or batman? I have trouble telling the two apart sometimes...

If OMFS doesn't work out for yall...you definetly don't have a career in comedy! Thanks for nothing.:confused:

I actually had 2 really odd questions from Dr. Miloro when I interviewed at nebraska.

1. Why are manhole covers round?

(so the cover can't fall into the hole)

2. How do they measure boeing 747's after all the passengers have boarded to make sure its not too heavy to take off.

(apparently someone told me they have scales built into the landing gear, otherwise i'm still stumped)

The residents told me he had gotten a book of questions the microsoft people ask their engineers when they interview them and was goofing around.

Otherwise dude, they usually ask lame stuff like why do you like OMFS, what do you want to do after your OMFS certificate if you match, are you interested in teaching, what kind of research have you done, .....etc.

Its really boring stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had 2 really odd questions from Dr. Miloro when I interviewed at nebraska....

He asked me "what would you do if you came in the clinic late one night and found the chief resident hooked up to the nitrous?"

All I could think of was "take out his 3rd molars" but I didn't have the balls to say it.

If OMFS doesn't work out for yall...you definetly don't have a career in comedy! Thanks for nothing.:confused:

dude, you know what kind of questions they/i'll ask. and for the curve balls, you can never prepare for them. these answers are meant to be spontaneous. the rehearsed ones just don't sound as good, trust me.

He asked me "what would you do if you came in the clinic late one night and found the chief resident hooked up to the nitrous?"

All I could think of was "take out his 3rd molars" but I didn't have the balls to say it.

a certain someone at parkland asked me if it was ethical for him to charge $1800 per implant.

pazoki (at LSU-NO) threw up a CT for me

this was 5 years ago. toof, you may have had some of the same stuff as me since you are a 5th year too right?

1) Tell us about yourself.
2) Why OMFS over some other specialty?
3) Being shown a panorex... What is your differential diagnosis?
4) Who is the editor of the Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
5) Are you interested in Academics or Private Practice?

Oh yah, i forgot

One of those JPS guys at my parkland interview asked me if we as a profession are obligated to perform dentistry on those who can't afford to pay our large fees. When i said no, he asked me how i propose to take care of the thousands who can't afford dental care.

I (like toof in omaha) didn't have the balls to tell him i thought they should go out and get a job. But instead i made that face, did that head shake, and made that noise you make when you don't know a pimp question. (don't lie, all you residents know this situation), and then the question slowly fizzled away.

a certain someone at parkland asked me if it was ethical for him to charge $1800 per implant.

pazoki (at LSU-NO) threw up a CT for me

this was 5 years ago. toof, you may have had some of the same stuff as me since you are a 5th year too right?

I didn't interview at LSU-NO, and I didn't get an implant question at Parkland.

UCONN asked what 5 instruments I would take with me if I was going to the moon to be the only oral surgeon in a new colony.

I didn't interview at LSU-NO, and I didn't get an implant question at Parkland.

UCONN asked what 5 instruments I would take with me if I was going to the moon to be the only oral surgeon in a new colony.

Was your answer:
1. KY Jelly
2. gloves
3. suction
4. tubes of varying diameters
5. oxygen

I mean, how else are you going to change all those trachs on the moon, right? ;)

Bump. Anyone's got more?

Is it common of them to ask weird q's like some of those mentioned above?

Bump. Anyone's got more?

Is it common of them to ask weird q's like some of those mentioned above?

1. "Match is a weird process, some people with great stats sometimes don't match, would you ever consider an internship if you don't match?"

- I said "Anything it will take"

- then they said: "What if after doing an internship you still don't match, what will you do?"

- I then made that face...not a good face...but not a bad one either...and said "I have heard that some people have faced this situation in the past, and they were not very happy"

- Then they sort of nodded...and we switched to the next question.

But I though this was a toughie...if I they think I will spent years doing different internships and applying, who will pay all the loans from dental school?

:oops:)

One of life's mysteries is if its FREAKIN POSSIBLE TO GET A SERIOUS ANSWER OUT OF THESE OMFS DUDES ON SDN???

One of life's mysteries is if its FREAKIN POSSIBLE TO GET A SERIOUS ANSWER OUT OF THESE OMFS DUDES ON SDN???

The reason that no one wants to give him the secret to the OMFS interview is because then they'll never know who they are actually interviewing. We are all aware, after the training he's received, that he could regurgitate any information we told him. When we interview him in the future, we don't want him regurgitating responses. Why interview him then? Is that not obvious to the non-OMFS peeps?