OMFS Externship during 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbdental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some threads of people who have applied for, and gotten accepted to, OMFS externships during their 2nd year (well, I guess you would technically be a third year by the summer you do the actual externship). My question is for those that did these externships: Did you feel prepared/knowledgable enough to participate when your clinical experience was relatively limited?
I know externships vary in the amount they let the externs "get their hands dirty," but were you allowed to actually do much or did the externship involve just observation?
Any input would be greatly appreciated...even if you did your externship later than the summer after 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you do your externship(s). Some will be extreme hands on (LSU NO) and some will not be. Don't worry about not having much prior experience or know a lot of differential diagnosis when you get to your externship, you will learn heck of a lot quick. I entered my first externship immediately after my 2nd year at LSU NO only extracted maybe 2 teeth and never gave an injection on a live patient. At the end of my month externship, I end up very efficient in giving LAs and extracted slooth of teeth. Residents are very nice and passionate in teaching.

I highly recommend doing externships. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot.

Yep, what he said above me.

Do as many as you can. I know that LSU-NO and LSU-SHV, Parkland, Emory(at grady memorial), Kentucky(lexington), (don't know about louisville), will all let you do a ton when you get there.

I'm sure other posters will let you know about other programs that allow you to do a lot as an extern.

Most programs will let you do something though, that would be downright mean to make you sit and watch the entire time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any knowledge of some west coast externships? I'm in San Francisco, so it would be nice not having to fly all the way to Louisianna or Texas for a good externship. Thanks for the great input Yah-E and North2South!

I externed at Vanderbilt, LSU-Shreveport, Mayo, and Alabama. I didn't do a damn thing except maybe at Shreveport.

Here's my advice: they know you don't know anything so don't act like you do. What they want to know is if you are a nice guy they can run shoulders with for 4-6 years. The quickest way to not get an interview is to act like a know-it-all or an arrogant a$$, both of which I have seen.

probably the ones where you will get the most hands on experience are highland hospital and usc.
gbdental said:
Any knowledge of some west coast externships? I'm in San Francisco, so it would be nice not having to fly all the way to Louisianna or Texas for a good externship. Thanks for the great input Yah-E and North2South!

gbdental said:

LSU-NO would be well worth the flight. I pulled more teeth in those two weeks then my entire two years in clinic, plus you don't have to pay for a hotel. And the other posts are right; keep your mouth shut even if you think you know the answer.

Yah-E said:
It depends on where you do your externship(s). Some will be extreme hands on (LSU NO) and some will not be. Don't worry about not having much prior experience or know a lot of differential diagnosis when you get to your externship, you will learn heck of a lot quick. I entered my first externship immediately after my 2nd year at LSU NO only extracted maybe 2 teeth and never gave an injection on a live patient. At the end of my month externship, I end up very efficient in giving LAs and extracted slooth of teeth. Residents are very nice and passionate in teaching.

I highly recommend doing externships. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot.

do you happen to know how early you can do am oms externship? The summer following your second year? also, are some of the externships difficuylt to get? Is there anything I should know or do before I apply for an externship?

Thanks

mstunkel said:
do you happen to know how early you can do am oms externship? The summer following your second year? also, are some of the externships difficuylt to get? Is there anything I should know or do before I apply for an externship?

Thanks
there is a 1st year at my school who did an externship over the winter break after his 1st semester. I guess it is never too early. :confused:

mstunkel said:

Thanks

Some will let you do it your 3rd or 4th year, some make you be in your 4th year. Some make you wait till you've had your oral surgery coursework at school. It's different for every program.

GatorDMD said:
there is a 1st year at my school who did an externship over the winter break after his 1st semester. I guess it is never too early. :confused:

Where did he extern at? I was under the impression that most places want to know your board scores, want a letter of rec, proof of malpractice insurance from your school, etc.

CJWolf said:
Some will let you do it your 3rd or 4th year, some make you be in your 4th year. Some make you wait till you've had your oral surgery coursework at school. It's different for every program.

Is the sumer following ur second year considered u'r third year. Also, from what I understand, they are fairly competitive to get into...?

mstunkel said:
Is the sumer following ur second year considered u'r third year. Also, from what I understand, they are fairly competitive to get into...?

Yes, the summer FOLLOWING your 2nd year would by definition be your 3rd year....sorry for the confusion. The reason I titled the thread with 2nd year reference is because I am currently in my 2nd and thinking of applying for an extership now, but actually doing it during the summer quarter of my thrid year.
I also have heard that some can be competitive to get into. Externships like Parkland, where almost everybody and their mom applies, are a bit competitive. But hey, Oral Surgery is tough to get into anyways. So if you can't get into any OMS externships, then your chances of getting into an OMS program would seem pretty slim.
How many externship do all you OMS guys recommend doing? I know some who have only done one, and others who have done five! Does it really matter?

gbdental said:
Yes, the summer FOLLOWING your 2nd year would by definition be your 3rd year....sorry for the confusion. The reason I titled the thread with 2nd year reference is because I am currently in my 2nd and thinking of applying for an extership now, but actually doing it during the summer quarter of my thrid year.
I also have heard that some can be competitive to get into. Externships like Parkland, where almost everybody and their mom applies, are a bit competitive. But hey, Oral Surgery is tough to get into anyways. So if you can't get into any OMS externships, then your chances of getting into an OMS program would seem pretty slim.
How many externship do all you OMS guys recommend doing? I know some who have only done one, and others who have done five! Does it really matter?

I did 4 externships while one of my co-residents did zero. On our interview we were talking about it and he said, "what's an externship?"

As far as being competitive, it depends on where you apply. I did one at Mayo right after my 2nd year of dental school and there was not much special about my "CV". Every program will take externs even though they don't advertise it. It's good for them because they get to advertise their program while you're there. The only time it gets competitive is when more people apply than they have space for, like at Parkland.

I externed at Mayo, Alabama, Shreveport, and Vanderbilt. Even though I never got to do much, they were all great learning experiences.

Its definatly worth doing an externship after 2nd year, even if you cant get into a competitive one, and you are not well prepared to work in the clinic. It is always another thing to put on your CV and show your interest. It will also allow you to learn about that specific program, and its positives and negatives.

adamlc18 said:
Where did he extern at? I was under the impression that most places want to know your board scores, want a letter of rec, proof of malpractice insurance from your school, etc.

University of Florida HSC at Jacksonville. (different than at Gainesville... no relation except the med school)

GatorDMD said:
University of Florida HSC at Jacksonville. (different than at Gainesville... no relation except the med school)

Hmm...a third year from here was down there and said there was a 1st year there at the same time...must be the same guy.

adamlc18 said:
Hmm...a third year from here was down there and said there was a 1st year there at the same time...must be the same guy.

So... how long was this externship, he must of did it the summer following his fresman year, as I could not see any one doing an externship during the first fall or spring semester of dental school.

toofache32 said:
I did 4 externships while one of my co-residents did zero. On our interview we were talking about it and he said, "what's an externship?"

As far as being competitive, it depends on where you apply. I did one at Mayo right after my 2nd year of dental school and there was not much special about my "CV". Every program will take externs even though they don't advertise it. It's good for them because they get to advertise their program while you're there. The only time it gets competitive is when more people apply than they have space for, like at Parkland.

I externed at Mayo, Alabama, Shreveport, and Vanderbilt. Even though I never got to do much, they were all great learning experiences.

Does every school or hospital that offers a omfs residency offer a externship as well. does any one happen to know if there is a website that one could go to. last, which externs, if any, are you most likely to get into the summer after your first year

Both LSU programs and UK are good externships and will make a man (women) out of you, I have also heard that UT-Memphis is a very good place to extern and they allow you to do alot and you will see some cool trauma. I suggest that everyone does a minimum of two externships, not counting working in the oral surgery department at your school. It will help in making your decision.