OMFS - How important is ACGME general surgery credit for MD licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that certain states have different # of years required and can be petitioned to make exceptions and so on, but how important is this practically? In what situations can you not just practice under your dental license?

Members don't see this ad.

Great questions.

As I understand it, it boils down to this: Do you want to advertise your MD? Billing does not change.

Would be great if graduated docs could chime in.

Reactions: 1 users
billing changes depending on the "medical procedure" code completed and the state you perform them in.

There are special loopholes for omfs in specific states where they state you can't get ur license without 2-3 gen surg years. Even Cali.

If you go corporate or just officed based omfs, don't get the MD. prob not worth it unless they aren't paying for the Medical PE/consult.

Members don't see this ad :)
billing changes depending on the "medical procedure" code completed and the state you perform them in.

There are special loopholes for omfs in specific states where they state you can't get ur license without 2-3 gen surg years. Even Cali.

If you go corporate or just officed based omfs, don't get the MD. prob not worth it unless they aren't paying for the Medical PE/consult.
What do you mean by not paying for the medical pe/consult

there are medical codes and sometimes insurance companies will deny codes you charged because you don't have your MD or MD license.

Its essentially a note that says you went through CC/HPI/ROS/PE/labs/imaging A/P. Doesn't matter for dental notes. Matters for hospital based practices/notes that bill medical insurance. You can do the same in a private office but the insurance company you bill might give you **** for being just a dentist and not pay it.

Also matters for TMJ, cancer, trauma etc. these take longer to document and are a reason for the medical notes as treatment is usually delayed intervention or nothing but something has to be billed.

Reactions: 1 user
there are medical codes and sometimes insurance companies will deny codes you charged because you don't have your MD or MD license.

Its essentially a note that says you went through CC/HPI/ROS/PE/labs/imaging A/P. Doesn't matter for dental notes. Matters for hospital based practices/notes that bill medical insurance. You can do the same in a private office but the insurance company you bill might give you **** for being just a dentist and not pay it.

Also matters for TMJ, cancer, trauma etc. these take longer to document and are a reason for the medical notes as treatment is usually delayed intervention or nothing but something has to be billed.
Thanks

Great questions.

As I understand it, it boils down to this: Do you want to advertise your MD? Billing does not change.

Would be great if graduated docs could chime in.

Talking to people, I believe this rumor has been debunked — you can still advertise it. There are plenty of MDs with no active license who still advertise their MD (i.e. those who do not go to a residency but still work in something like research/pharmaceuticals). However, you cannot advertise that you are a PHYSICIAN due to not having a medical license. MD is just a degree. You graduate from medical school and are labeled MD before you even get a license (need to pass Step 3) so they are 2 separate entities.

Someone let me know if I am incorrect on this as well, but that is what I have heard from multiple practitioners.

Reactions: 1 users