OMFS Hypothetical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not_A_Doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the other day i was arguing with a buddy of mine who is in med school. To piss me off he said something to the effect of "when you decide you want to be a real doctor you can go into OMFS then change your residency after med school."

Has anyone heard of anyone actually doing this? I guess it would be possible assuming you're in a MD OMFS program and you are awarded your MD after you complete med school. Say you apply for a peds residency and just bail on your OMFS residency or something crazy...

Members don't see this ad.

It might be technically possible, but it'd be a huge waste of money and time. Not directing this at you OP, but if someone gives 2 ****s about "becoming a real doctor" then they should just go to med school because clearly there are no other possible reasons for someone to want to choose dentistry. And because focusing on the mouth and teeth is qualitatively inferior to focusing on colons and dinguses, ears/noses/throats, eyes, skin, etc. Duh :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might be technically possible, but it'd be a huge waste of money and time. Not directing this at you OP, but if someone gives 2 ****s about "becoming a real doctor" then they should just go to med school because clearly there are no other possible reasons for someone to want to choose dentistry. And because focusing on the mouth and teeth is qualitatively inferior to focusing on colons and dinguses, ears/noses/throats, eyes, skin, etc. Duh :rolleyes:
This is so true. So many of my pre-med class mates said things like "I couldn't stare into someones mouth all day. Gross". In yet their hands will be on peoples genitals, they will have to give rectal exams ect. Apparently OMFS can go on to pursue a plastic surgery fellowship. I personally wouldn't do this, but the option is there.

Reactions: 4 users
I've heard of people pursuing general surgery residencies then plastics residencies but only after completing their OMFS residency.

I've heard of people pursuing general surgery residencies then plastics residencies but only after completing their OMFS residency.

I have heard that as well. If you do a 6 year program to get the MD as well, I don't know if it is necessarily the same as with the normal MD path. I don't think you do the normal rotations since it is geared to general surgery and OMFS. That would mean you probably can't just decide to pursue something like internal med, peds, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Who would ever do that?

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of doctors doing a residency in plastic surgery after completing their 6 year OMFS residency.

Sounds insane.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a number of programs only award the MD degree at the end of the 6 years?
All 6 year programs award an MD. It is 6 years because you go through 2 years of medical school on top of the 4 years of residency.

The omfs that I am shadowing did an internal medicine residency before completing his omfs. I am not sure why he did that- I actually intend to ask now

The omfs that I am shadowing did an internal medicine residency before completing his omfs. I am not sure why he did that- I actually intend to ask now
A whole IM residency? Or just IM rotations as apart of his/her OMFS residency?

Well now I'm just curious. Haha.

And to those above who pointed out the obvious holes in my buddy's argument. Damn straight.

That is absurd and doesn't make any sense for an OMS. Then again, some people just love to learn...revenge of the nerds :cool: