OMFS Internship Opportunities - POST HERE ONLY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flappy McSuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this time of year, everyone is trying to figure out exactly how they want to fill out their rank list, but I just want to take the time to post a little about my experiences at my OMFS internship so that those of you not fortunate enough to MATCH will be aware of the opportunities available to you. I encourage others in similar positions at GPR’s and other internships to do the same.

I am currently an intern at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. Our interns function wholly at JPS hospital, although our program is under the umbrella of the Parkland Residency program with all conference, meeting, and lecture opportunities available to us. We have 3 full time faculty at the moment, each with their own niche. Next year, an additional faculty member will be added.

Our faculty include:
Dr. John Stella: Chairman of the OMFS department at JPS and is an excellent teacher in bread and butter OMFS. Orthognathic treatment planning, organization, and surgical skills along with how to run a private practice are the main things that Dr. Stella will teach you along with overall general patient management.

Dr. Michael Warner works mostly with the residents in the areas of TMJ and facial pain, cosmetics, and salivary gland pathology. Dr. Warner is very knowledgeable in these areas and is a great resource to the interns and residents.

Dr. Herman Kao is a recent graduate of the Parkland residency program Dr. Kao is very much familiar with the challenges of residency and does all he can to show the residents the easy and correct way to approach self-learning and residency as a whole. He also is the main clinic faculty member and covers Facial Lesion clinic and most of our Trauma, cleft, and reconstructive surgery.

Next year JPS will be adding another full time faculty member who will have just completed a 2-year Oncology fellowship. Many of you may know who this person is and know what he brings to the table. Since I have not dealt with this person directly, I will not claim to know what all he has to offer, but I will say that I have heard nothing but good things about this person’s surgical skill and desire to teach.

All of our faculty are excellent resources and are very much involved with and concerned about the interns. Each is very much approachable and I would have no problem walking into any of their offices and starting a conversation about just about anything.

Now about the internship itself. The best way I can describe our responsibilities and educational experiences is to walk you through a typical week at JPS.

Monday: All-day Sedation clinic. 3rd molars, Full mouth extractions, difficult pre-prosthetic surgery, etc. We also see consults, follow-ups, and hospital patient follow-ups as needed. But mostly this day is dedicated to our sedation patients. At lunch, we have Orthognathic conference with Dr. Stella where we each present orthognathic surgical workups that we take from impressions through preliminary model surgery and treatment plans. We present these cases formally and discuss treatment options, benefits, risks, etc. This experience is invaluable as far as learning orthognathic surgery from someone who has done over 1,000 cases and published a book on the subject.

Tuesday: Operating Room. JPS has enough trauma, pathology, elective surgery, etc. to fill a full designated OR day each Tuesday. We also operative on Weekends and other days as needed.

Wednesdays: Usually the 5th and 6th year residents are in an orthognathic case with Dr. Stella and the interns cover general clinic (everything but sedations). Wednesday afternoons are Dr. Warner’s facial Pain/TMJ clinic where we diagnose and treat everything from toothaches to Myofacial pain to true TMJ disorders and neuropathies.

Thursdays: Mornings are Facial Lesion Clinic where we treat everything from moles and lipomas to Squamos cell and basal cell carcinomas. At lunch, Dr. Kao usually has a journal club where we discuss journal articles about various topics.

Fridays are a half-day, usually until about 1pm and is
another full Sedation clinic.

Call: JPS is a level 1 trauma center and you will see the full gamut of craniofacial trauma.

Call is q3 currently for the interns, but next year, JPS will be taking 4 interns so call will probably be q4. Trauma/infections are split every other week with ENT. When on call, but not during a trauma week, your responsibilities are only to manage the OMFS in-house patients and to answer specific referrals to our service. Our operating rooms and Emergency department are all brand new and all imaging is digital. I have been to many programs across the country and can honestly say that I have not seen operating rooms nicer than ours.

Benefits: You receive a $1200 moving stipend, a $300 one time allowance to purchase a PDA or Smartphone (we all bought iphones), $50 a month built into your check for your smartphone/PDA, and $1000 education supply allowance with which I bought books. We have a monthly food allowance of about $200 with which no one this year has ever approached. Our resident room is brand new with computers, a nice couch, and laptop.

Fort Worth has a pretty cheap/reasonable cost of living and traffic is not too bad. Dallas is 35 minutes away and between Dallas and Fort Worth, there is pretty much everything you might want in an area to live.

As a dental student, at least for me, no matter how much shadowing and externship experience you have (I did 6), there is still a tendency to feel like an outsider asking for inclusion when interviewing due to your relative inexperience. I can’t say that this intern year guarantees myself or my co-interns to MATCH, but I can say that I felt much more confident in my interviews mostly because of the scope of practice I have been exposed to.

As thorough as I have tried to be in my description, I know there will be things I left out and things you will have questions about. Feel free to send me a personal message and I will do my best to answer any and all questions. I also know that many others involved in this program are on SDN and may want to chime in with their opinions and information and I encourage them to do so.

In closing, I just want to add that I feel like this internship has been fantastic to this point mostly because of all I get to do and see. When looking for internships and residencies, I feel that broad scope is very beneficial and I don’t think you will find many internships that rival the scope at JPS. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

If interested in this Internship, Contact Dr. Stella's Residency Coordinator, Holly Portwood at 817-920-6936.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone wants to post an internship opening, post it here. I'll also merge threads that contain internship offers here.

Last edited:
1 year internship opportunity available at Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Applications will be accepted after match-day Jan. 26th 2010. Please contact Chair Dr. Dale Baur at 216-368-3102/216-368-6745 or e-mail [email protected] for more information.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
well done, Flappy. Do you guys still do the two-month anesthesia rotation? i tubed a ton of people and got pretty good at starting IVs during that time. JPS was such an awesome experience.

i completely agree with you about the faculty...they are all excellent OMFSs. Monday rounds with Dr. Stella are, indeed, invaluable. the H/N cancer guy is going to be an amazing addition...i know him personally and can attest to all of his rumored positive attributes.

Speaking of iphones, my parting gift from the department was an ipod touch...ON TOP OF ALL THE OTHER FREE STUFF THEY GAVE ME! insane.

Hi everybody, thanks for starting this thread. Its my first post at SDN, and its my first time applying to OMS residency. like everybody else, I have submitted my ranking list and now waiting for the big day. I'm hoping for the best, but I want to be prepared if the 25th of Jan was not on my side. How do I plan my next move? How do you apply for those unfilled post match positions? and if that didn't work, where can I find a list of programs that offer one year internship? are programs contacted directly for the internship? can I forward my application to them from pass? most importantly, am I going to be flying around the country for interviews again? or interviews are not necessary for internships? I feel that am completely lost if the first shot doesn't workout. please help .. thanks

Emory has two spots (advertised 3) for non categorical interns/yr.
Strengths:
full scope OMFS
Weakness:
min cosmetics, cranio, cancer...but we do get it!

SUPER Busy program and interns have a great track record of matching.

I’m currently an intern at Drexel University Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. There are two internship openings every year and I wanted to let you know about the program as well as the internship itself. The program is an integrated six year MD-OMFS certificate that is fully accredited. It is based in two level 1 trauma centers: Hahnemann University Hospital and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. Because it is a six year program with only one resident a year, the interns are treated as first year residents. The interns are not limited to just shucking teeth. The outpatient anesthesia experience is excellent and Dr. Abaza generally will allow his interns to do a 1-2 month rotation with the anesthesia department. As an intern I have not only scrubbed in on, but have participated in many complex cases due to most of the upper level residents being in medical school or on general surgery. In the past, the interns have had success matching into 4 and 6 year programs; hopefully this year is no different. If you have any questions about the internship or residency you can PM me. Please forward any internship applications to the program coordinator:
Joan Lavin-Werner
245 N. 15th St., M.S. 467
New College Building, 7th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Telephone: 215-762-5643
Fax: 215-762-8389
E-Mail:
[email protected]

Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine offers 2 OMFS internships each year. A prior GPR or AEGD is required. Interns gain excellent experience in outpatient dento alveolar surgery, IV sedation, orthognathic workup (around 80 cases per year), trauma management (Jacobi is a level 1 trauma center and regional burn center). Craniofacial experience thru the Jacobi Craniofacial Surgical Institute. Previous interns have had great success in matching at 4 and 6 year OMFS programs. Applications are accepted after match day. Interested parties should contact the department chairman, Dr. Victor Badner, at 718-918-3419, fax 718-918-6147 or email [email protected] .

VCU/MCV residency is looking for a prelim intern for start in july 2010. For more information you should contact Dr. Strauss at [email protected]

Good luck,
Nazir Ahmad
PGY2 MCV - OMFS

I’m currently an intern at Drexel University Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. There are two internship openings every year and I wanted to let you know about the program as well as the internship itself. The program is an integrated six year MD-OMFS certificate that is fully accredited. It is based in two level 1 trauma centers: Hahnemann University Hospital and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. Because it is a six year program with only one resident a year, the interns are treated as first year residents. The interns are not limited to just shucking teeth. The outpatient anesthesia experience is excellent and Dr. Abaza generally will allow his interns to do a 1-2 month rotation with the anesthesia department. As an intern I have not only scrubbed in on, but have participated in many complex cases due to most of the upper level residents being in medical school or on general surgery. In the past, the interns have had success matching into 4 and 6 year programs; hopefully this year is no different. If you have any questions about the internship or residency you can PM me. Please forward any internship applications to the program coordinator:
Joan Lavin-Werner
Philadelphia, PA 19102
E-Mail: [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

Both interns matched at their first choice. One to a 6 year and one to a 4 year program.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, TX has 3 open OMFS internship positions. To apply, send the following info:
CV
Part 1 Board scores
2 letters of recommendation
copy of dental school transcript
copy of undergrad transcript

You can email this to [email protected] or fax to 817-927-1497

Members don't see this ad :)
The Jacobi Medical Center/Beth Israel Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Program is offering 3 OMFS internship positions. These one year positions are designed for the candidates that are genuinely interested in pursuing an OMFS residency and would like to experience a full scope OMFS residency.
Duties will include: clinic coverage, on call coverage, ER, OR and inpatient management of OMFS patients. Interns will also attend all didactic departmental conferences.
Jacobi/BI/AECOM sponsors a 6 year OMFS program with 2 resident poitions/year. The North Bronx Healthcare Network (Jacobi and North Central Bronx Hospital) where the intern will spend the majority of his/her time encompasses a busy Level 1 Trauma Centr in the Eastern Bronx. Our residents (GPR, Pediatric Dentistry, and OMFS) manage over 35,000 out patient visits per year. The OMFS interns are an integral part of the patient care team.
The majority of our past interns were successful in matching with OMFS programs immediately following completion of the internship. Successful candidates will be bright, self motivated and eager to become part of a dynamic OMFS team. Additionally they will have completed at least a PGY-1 GPR or AEGD before the start of the program. The OMFS internships are fully funded positions. Salaries start at the PGY-2 level.
Intersted parties should contact Dr. Daniel Buchbinder, Residency Program Director via email at [email protected].

The UT San Antonio Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is offering three positions for one year internships, starting July 1, 2010. Expectations of our non-categorical interns mirror those of our matriculated interns. In addition to clinical/operative duties, interns will take first call and participate in craniofacial/orthognathic conferences, trauma conferences, and weekly academics/journal club. Interns will be exposed to a broad scope of OMS at a busy level 1 trauma center. These positions are fully funded.

Email inquiries to: [email protected]

Visit our website at: http://oms.uthscsa.edu

hey, i know its ridiculously late in the game but does anyone know of any internships that are still available or are they all taken?

The Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery porgram at the Detroit Medical Center is currently offering a 1 YR internship position starting July 2010.
The programs offers both 4 yr and 6 yr residency options
Qualified interns at our program have always matched, and they have matched as first yeart residents.

Anyone interested in can email me directly for questions and application information.

Dr. Abu-Seir
[email protected]

The Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery porgram at the Detroit Medical Center is currently offering a 1 YR internship position starting July 2010.
The programs offers both 4 yr and 6 yr residency options
Qualified interns at our program have always matched, and they have matched as first yeart residents.

Anyone interested in can email me directly for questions and application information.

Dr. Abu-Seir
[email protected]

Edit: Current information not available through the previous listed emails.

Last edited:
New York city.
2nd year GPR position with emphasis on OMFS.
There is one position available for a 2nd year GPR at a New York program. Residents should have had completed, or be in the process of finishing their first year of GPR.
This program is geared towards preparing the individual to be a strong applicant for an OMFS program.
Resident will be responsible for taking call with other OMFS residents and his/her training will focus on Oral Surgery besides the responsibilities of GPR.

For more information, please contact me directly or through this blog.

Thanks!

The University of Florida at Shands Jacksonville is proud to offer a 1 year, paid internship at our broad scope program. We offer great training in all areas of OMFS, with fellowship-trained attendings in Cosmetics, Head and Neck/Microvascular, and Craniofacial, as well as giving great experience in dentoalveolar, implants, and other building block areas.

Interns have a successful record of matching, with attendings who want you to succeed.

Please send a CV, transcript, and board scores to Ms. Gina Jenkins after
inquiring by phone first at:

(904)-244-3689

We currently have 1 OMFS internship position for the 2010-2011 academic year available.
John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, Texas
Please call 817-920-6936 or email [email protected]

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship/Fellowship Available Immediately
Jacobi Medical Center/North Central Bronx Hospital/Beth Israel Medical Center

Background: The reason the spot is available is one of the interns was selected for a residency position at a nearby hospital that opened up during the course of the year. This was partly due to the tremendous confidence that other programs have in Jacobi interns. The previous interns have a very high MATCH success rate.
Duties and Experience: The residency program has a very broad scope practice. The intern will have a tremendous exposure to orthognathic and reconstructive surgery. There are also an overwhelming number of IV sedation cases including implant placement, wisdom teeth extraction and all other dentoalveolar cases. There also are very busy outpatient clinics that the interns will manage and gain valuable experience in dental extractions and emergencies. There is a wealth of knowledge from excellent surgeons with years of experience and great recognition in the surgery community.
Academics: Monthly journal clubs and weekly lectures on a variety of subjects. Monthly CSI conferences with the Plastic Surgery and ENT departments. Bi-weekly orthognathic conferences.
Salary: Competitive PGY-2 Salary of $58,168 plus $2,500 meal allowance for the year.
Benefits: Excellent union benefits including: $600 annually for use on books or PDAs, free Rosetta Stone language course, and $1,500 annually for conferences. Also, the Union offers dental coverage at no cost and there are a variety of medical health plans at no cost.
Requirements: Must have a year of GPR as this is a PGY-2 level position
Start Date: As soon as possible.
[email protected]

Anyone has a list of internship opportunities in California?

I did this internship, and it was the BEST experience. 100% OMS. No GPR stuff. There are NO OMS RESIDENTS that operate there, so you are essentially the attending's chief. I did a TON of dentoalveolar. 130+ implants (both simple and complex cases), plenty of sinus grafts, ramus grafts, pre-pros surgery... you name it. It's a VA! Contact the Long Beach VA dental department and ask to speak to the oral surgeon on staff. She will tell you how to apply. It was 110% worth an extra year before residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information on the OMFS internship at Ohio State? Have heard some very good things bout it.

I did a TON of dentoalveolar. 130+ implants (both simple and complex cases), plenty of sinus grafts, ramus grafts, pre-pros surgery... you name it. It's a VA! It was 110% worth an extra year before residency.

That sounds exciting. That's A LOT of implants!

And you do sinus grafts? Ramus grafts? For real !?

Third molars ?!?

That sounds exciting. That's A LOT of implants!

And you do sinus grafts? Ramus grafts? For real !?

Third molars ?!?

Yeah! I did all of that. Under sedation as well sometimes. No exaggeration whatsoever. I didn't realize how great of an experience I was getting until interviews when everyone was amazed at what I was doing. But as far as third molars, that is where it was deficient. We did *some* but not many. The vets get them out in the service for the most part. When I did them, it was on a 40+ year old guy who was symptomatic and it would be 1/4 and not a complete set. I can't think of more than 10 cases of all 4 wisdom teeth on an under 30 year old.

Yeah! I did all of that. Under sedation as well sometimes. No exaggeration whatsoever. I didn't realize how great of an experience I was getting until interviews when everyone was amazed at what I was doing.
That's some crazy experience.
Btw, doesn't the residents from GPR place the implants? If so, wouldn't that decrease the amount of implants you place?

Yes, the GPR's place a lot of implants too. There are 2 'branches' of general dentistry at that VA: the GPR and the staff dentists. The GPR's rotate into the OMS department and place their own GPR patient pool implants. The OMS intern places all the staff dentists patient pool implants. So the GPR placements don't impinge on your numbers as an intern at all. It's a really nice set up.

Hello all, as MATCH day approaches, it wouldnt hurt to start posting programs that offer internships along the OMS branch. Lets see what's out there!

Hello all, as MATCH day approaches, it wouldnt hurt to start posting programs that offer internships along the OMS branch. Lets see what's out there!

Vanderbilt is now offering a spot for a non-categorical intern

Indiana University has a non-categorical intern spot.

Drexel University College of Medicine has two internship openings this year. The program is an integrated six year MD-OMFS certificate that is fully accredited. It is based in two level 1 trauma centers: Hahnemann University Hospital and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. The outpatient anesthesia experience is excellent, and Dr. Abaza generally will allow his interns to do a 1-2 month anesthesia rotation. The interns have had a lot of success matching into 4 and 6 year programs. If you have any questions about the internship or residency you can PM me. Please forward any internship applications to the program coordinator:
Deb Dool
Philadelphia, PA 19102
E-Mail:
[email protected]

John Peter Smith Hospital in Ft. Worth, TX will have openings for four interns during the 2011-2012 academic year. As a current intern this year, I can definitely vouch for the experience i've gotten so far this year.
Flappy did a really good job of summarizing a typical week in the original post, but as for some of the things that have changed since last year:
The program has been fortunate to add Dr. Fayette Williams to the staff. Dr. Williams did his OMFS training at Parkland, and then a Head and Neck Cancer/Recon Fellowship at Michigan. With the addition of Dr. Williams, we have been able to experience an even broader scope of practice in the program (free-flap grafts, neck dissections, etc). He is also the faculty member that we spend the most time with as interns, and is a great instructor.
Also, as previously mentioned, the internship went from 3 to 4 positions in the past year.
The overall weekly schedule is pretty much unchanged:
Mondays - Sedation and general clinic
Tuesdays - OR and general clinic
Wednesday - General clinic AM, Facial Pain PM
Thursday - Sedation AM, Facial Lesion PM (lots of interesting path cases)
Friday - Sedation AM

Personally, I think one of the biggest strengths of the program is the scope. We're really fortunate to get to see a little bit of everything during the course of the year. That familiarity was really helpful throughout the interview process.

Anyways, that's all I can think of now. If you have any questions, feel free to either PM me, or contact the residency coordinator, Holly Portwood, (817-920-6936 or email [email protected]) for more info. Good luck to everyone with Match!

Hi there!
Just want to find out if anyone knows about a program that accepts internationals for Internship positions.
Any help in any direction will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

TMC has 2 intern positions open this year.

Lydia McLaughlin
Assistant to the Program Director
Truman Medical Center
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
2301 Holmes Street, D&TC Bldg, 5th floor
Kansas City, MO 64108
816.404.4356 tel
816.404.4359 fax
[email protected]

http://www.med.umkc.edu/residency/oms/internship.shtml

Both Interns this year matched.

Christiana Care, in Wilmington, Delaware, has an OMFS internship position for the 2011-12 year. Orientation begins in June, 2011, with an official start date of 7/1/2011.

If interested, please forward the following items to [email protected]:

1. Copy of PASS application, if available. If PASS application not available, we will need proof of graduation from a North American dental school; grades from dental school; board scores; and recommendations.
2. Updated CV.

Please do not hesitate to contact with any further questions!

Carle Foundation Hopsital is offering a one year internship. This is a paid PGY1 position, including equal clinical responsibilities, privileges, salary and benefits as the 1st year resident.

Additionally, the intern participates fully in all didactic conferences and is enrolled in the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Medicine as a student in the History and Physical Diagnosis course to improve examination skills

http://www.carle.com/omfsresidency/applications/internship.html

has anyone gotten an internship position offered to them yet? where?

Yes, Parkland on Tuesday :). Denial by San Antonio on Wednesday. I don't think the others are done so hang in there.

anyone applying to OSU? Have u heard from them yet?