OMFS UK possibilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreciousMaxFax

Reaction score
Hey, my first thread on this forum!

Im doing an OMFS residency in an EU-country where its way more common to only hold a dental degree. The treatment scope isnt really different whether you have a MD too though. But now recently Im becoming more and more interested in exploring the possibilities of working in UK in the future, where of course a DDS + MD is the only way to go. Before going in to residency I was half-way through medschool, and have the intention of finishing my MD after OMFS-residency.
Now, how does this look on my curriculum? Will I be a weaker applicant since I haven't done the integrated MD/OMFS program as in UK-standards? Could it be more difficult due to a different arrangement in my clinical rotations in surgery, plastics etc in comparison to UK-residents? In general how difficult is it for internationals to apply for a OMFS-position within the UK nowadays?
Also, im hopefully doing a fellowship after my OMFS, would it be wise to first finish my MD before going on a 1-y fellowship or would it be more natural to go for it directly after OMFS-residency?

Any thoughts, any experiences shared, very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you were talking about Kentucky when I opened this thread :rofl:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, my first thread on this forum!

Im doing an OMFS residency in an EU-country where its way more common to only hold a dental degree. The treatment scope isnt really different whether you have a MD too though. But now recently Im becoming more and more interested in exploring the possibilities of working in UK in the future, where of course a DDS + MD is the only way to go. Before going in to residency I was half-way through medschool, and have the intention of finishing my MD after OMFS-residency.
Now, how does this look on my curriculum? Will I be a weaker applicant since I haven't done the integrated MD/OMFS program as in UK-standards? Could it be more difficult due to a different arrangement in my clinical rotations in surgery, plastics etc in comparison to UK-residents? In general how difficult is it for internationals to apply for a OMFS-position within the UK nowadays?
Also, im hopefully doing a fellowship after my OMFS, would it be wise to first finish my MD before going on a 1-y fellowship or would it be more natural to go for it directly after OMFS-residency?

Any thoughts, any experiences shared, very appreciated!

I will start with the obvious. Really difficult, almost impossible, and probably a financial suicide if you consider the many years that it will take. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I think is a waste of time, and the potential money you could earn is not worth it.

Now, if you still want to do it, try getting into a postgraduate programme and see what happens. At least will make you eligible to take the Royal College of Surgeons Examination for Membership in Oral Surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the obvious thing to say to begin with is that without the MD it is impossible to work as an OMFS Consultant. OMFS is a speciality that is governed by the General Medical Council and is therefore classed as a medical speciality, not a dental specialty, even though you have to have both degrees.

The above courses are useful if you wish to be an Oral Surgeon. In the UK there are significant differences between an OMF surgeon and Oral surgeon. You will have limited experience to trauma, oncology, cleft, orthognathics etc. Your role would effectively be dentoalveolar, benign pathology, simple trauma and maybe some implants depending upon the unit.

So in summary;
- Do the MD
- Register with the General Medical Council +/- the General Dental Council
- Try and secure a job as a Specialty Doctor in OMFS for UK experience
- Apply through Oriel to Specialty Training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for either 5-7 year training
- Complete fellowship if you wish.

Hope this helps