OMS III Weak Start at Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobbbobb56

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an OMS III who scored a 242 on the USMLE. I am interested in a residency in maybe gen surg, ortho, EM. I am here to ask for advice, I failed a course my first year in osteopathic manipulation, and received a C in a major preclinical course. I am in the middle of my class (50% ish) will that failure hold me back significantly? I am working on research.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am an OMS III who scored a 242 on the USMLE. I am interested in a residency in maybe gen surg, ortho, EM. I am here to ask for advice, I failed a course my first year in osteopathic manipulation, and received a C in a major preclinical course. I am in the middle of my class (50% ish) will that failure hold me back significantly? I am working on research.
Thanks!

Did you remediate your OMM class and pass? If pass, does it show pass or remediate pass on your transcript?

Number wise, you're looking solid for Gen Sure and EM. You need plenty of work for Ortho.

Reactions: 1 user
I took an exam and passed and it shows on my transcript. How much do you think that will hurt? Im doing a damage analysis at this point. Do you think my Cs in preclinical will hurt me too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took an exam and passed and it shows on my transcript. How much do you think that will hurt? Im doing a damage analysis at this point. Do you think my Cs in preclinical will hurt me too?

Zero repercussion bro.

You did great for boards. My advice remains the same.

Congrats on turning it around. Any thoughts on what changed or were you just focused on boards and ignored preclinical stuff?

I had a pretty awful first year on paper, turned it around, got lots of interviews and was asked about it pretty infrequently. I did apply mostly community lM so experiences may vary, but assuming you apply broadly I think there is hope for you.

Hi,
Thanks!

What is your COMLEX? The super competitive specialties, i.e. ortho, are going to be more dependent on your COMLEX as you will be targeting the former AOA programs which are heavily COMLEX focused still. Your step is good for GS and EM. If you want to try and match a traditional ACGME GS program then I suggest getting a bit of research, and you will likely need some aways to get good letters. Plan those strategically. If your COMLEX is good then you might be able to consider ortho but will need some research, and to audition like crazy at former AOA programs.

At least for the first couple years post merger the importance of the board exams goes like this:
COMLEX: need to pass to legally practice and the super competitive specialties.
USMLE: Anything lower than the hyper-competitive fields.

Reactions: 1 user