On AMCAS, do you have to fill out courses you plan to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

in your senior year under the coursework section?

Members don't see this ad.

Chankovsky said:

It's better not to because if you change your mind later, you have to write a letter to each school explaining what change and why...

so basically just list the courses you took and that's it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out courses I had not taken yet and classified them as not yet taken or something. I ended up taking all of the ones I said I would so I it was not a problem. I think the schools would like to see that you are still planning on taking challenging classes.

what if you don't know yet which classes you are going to take in the senior year. How would you fill up your AMCAS?

I wrote AMCAS about this and they said it's fine to leave Senior blank.

OnMyWayThere said:
I wrote AMCAS about this and they said it's fine to leave Senior blank.

did you eventually send a transcript for these classes you didn't list to your medical schools? i'm in the situation where i'm going to be taking a class at a different school which isn't listed anywhere yet and trying to decide if i should include it or not, and if i do include it, when and where i should send a transcript...

brats800 said:
did you eventually send a transcript for these classes you didn't list to your medical schools? i'm in the situation where i'm going to be taking a class at a different school which isn't listed anywhere yet and trying to decide if i should include it or not, and if i do include it, when and where i should send a transcript...
I haven't applied yet... write AMCAS at [email protected] they'll let you know what you'll have to do in your situation.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Unless your school is incredibly slow with stuff, you should have already registered for your first semester classes. So put those down.

A lot of people also already have an idea of what they have to take to finish, or what they want to take. If you don't, you can probably not enter any spring semester classes.

I don't think most schools care if you put down that you'll take one class, and you end up taking something else. They know you don't have a crystal ball. And I seriously doubt that most schools will make you write them a letter if you change your mind. They know that things can happen. Minds can change, classes can be cancelled, etc. Just don't say you're taking 18 hours of science classes and end up taking 9 hours of communication, etc.

Polar girl said:
And I seriously doubt that most schools will make you write them a letter if you change your mind.

They don't make you, it's part of the responsibility of being an applicant. You keep them up-to-date with your application and send them grade updates as they come. If your file comes up for review and they see inconsistencies, that's a credibility issue on your part.

I was going to drop a class senior year, but decided to stick with it because I had indicated it on my amcas and didn't want to have to inform 20+ schools of the change.

EXAMPLE: Say I put I was going to take an ethics class and the school was like "hey, this guy is taking an ethics class and we like ethical backgrounds" You later have an interview at the same school where they ask you... "so tell me about this ethics class you took" and what do you say... "uh, um... yeah, I didn't really take the class... I dropped it" The interview then says "interesting" as s/he writes a note in your file. Think realistically here...

Also, if you know next quarter/semester classes, you can put those in and leave the rest of senior year blank.

I am done with my pre-reqs EXCEPT that I am planning to take an MCB class next year to fulfill USC's requirement AND I need to take a second English class.

Do I need to list these as future classes on AMCAS, so that schools don't screen me out, thinking that I won't have the requirements to matriculate, or will they let me proceed and then just ask me at some point to verify that I will take/have taken these classes?

I don't want to list them on AMCAS because technically I don't know which I will take fall versus spring etc etc, and I'm sure updating all my schools on a class change will be a pain in the butt.

:)

Chankovsky said:

Only If you haven't finished a few requirements like me. Biochem., or Chem Labs for Univ. of Ky. - if you have received AP credit.

CaMD said:
I am done with my pre-reqs EXCEPT that I am planning to take an MCB class next year to fulfill USC's requirement AND I need to take a second English class.

Do I need to list these as future classes on AMCAS, so that schools don't screen me out, thinking that I won't have the requirements to matriculate, or will they let me proceed and then just ask me at some point to verify that I will take/have taken these classes?

I don't want to list them on AMCAS because technically I don't know which I will take fall versus spring etc etc, and I'm sure updating all my schools on a class change will be a pain in the butt.

:)

I would definitely go ahead and put the English requirement down. Here's why: many schools have a specific English requirement and will screen out your application because they believe you won't have the requirement done prior to matriculation. I would go ahead and put it down anyway.

I know you don't want to update your schools about a course change, but as an applicant it is your responsibility. I don't think it takes too long to write a letter saying that to the multiple schools. Besides, you can also use the letter to focus on anything else that you've done that you wish them to know about since you submitted the application. Use the opportunity to your advantage.

Jason110 said:
I would definitely go ahead and put the English requirement down. Here's why: many schools have a specific English requirement and will screen out your application because they believe you won't have the requirement done prior to matriculation. I would go ahead and put it down anyway.

I know you don't want to update your schools about a course change, but as an applicant it is your responsibility. I don't think it takes too long to write a letter saying that to the multiple schools. Besides, you can also use the letter to focus on anything else that you've done that you wish them to know about since you submitted the application. Use the opportunity to your advantage.