On healthy diversions and their relationship to overall productivity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So, how is Fallout 4? The holiday slowdown is a good time to catch up on report writing. If i get Fallout 4, will I get anything else done? My son in getting Madden 16 and Star Wars Battlefront for Xmas- I'm not sure that will be enough to keep me distracted from the important things I need to get done.

Members don't see this ad.

Fallout 4 is fun, although so far I think Fallout 3 was better. Gameplay is fun, but the dialogue and story are not nearly as good as 3. It's been a hectic couple of weeks, so it and I haven't had as much quality time as I would have liked. Bloodborne is fun, if you like that genre of game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard SW: Battlefront is a great play for SW nerds, though it is also enjoyable for those not really into SW. I played quite a bit of Destiny for the past year or year and a half (w. expansions), but it's been weeks/months since I've done any gaming. I'm a casual gamer, so I'll probably pick up SW down the road or if I have a weekend where I want to be a recluse.

I've actually spent more time recently (last couple of yrs) retro gaming. I was given a Retron a couple years ago, so I'm reliving my childhood gaming. I'll be re-acquiring my Sega Genesis & Sega CD from my buddy next wk (I sold it to him probably 12 yrs ago). I'm not a big fan of ROMs, though I know it is far easier to download a emulator and have at it. My holy grail game is one of the early versions of Civilization. I dug up an old Dell laptop that has it installed, but I need to find the power cord. The emulators I've found for various Civ games have been buggy at best, at least for the version I want.

Last edited:
Any of you into Europa Universalis?

I tried playing it a handful of times, but never got very far into it.

I always ended up just going back to Civilization; my simple mind apparently couldn't handle EU. Speaking of which, I now feel an urge to boot up some Beyond Earth.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried playing it a handful of times, but never got very far into it.

I always ended up just going back to Civilization; my simple mind apparently couldn't handle EU. Speaking of which, I now feel an urge to boot up some Beyond Earth.
It is def a game with a high learning curve. If you want to be really good, takes a lot of time.

I actually have a system where I take 30-ish minute breaks from studying to listen to podcasts and play games for every 60-90 minutes of work I do...turns out creating a BIP for yourself isn't a terrible way to get work done in grad school.

I reactivated my XBOX Live account since they had a special to do it for $1. They had specials on the DOOM games and Mega Man 9 so I picked them all up for less than $10. That and the free games with Gold I've acquired have been keeping me busy and should continue to do so for awhile. I like a lot of the XBOX Arcade games made by indie developers - recent favorites have been Dust, Charlie Murder and CastleStorm.

Speaking of Fallout, I'm still on the 360. If I beat FO3 is New Vegas worth picking up? Some people have told me it's essentially a glorified expansion pack, others really liked it.

Speaking of Fallout, I'm still on the 360. If I beat FO3 is New Vegas worth picking up? Some people have told me it's essentially a glorified expansion pack, others really liked it.

If you can get the version that comes with all of the DLC, then I say definitely. There are some pretty fun long sidequests. Lonesome Road and Dead Money were pretty fun.

Well...that was easy, it was the original. I thought it was II or III for awhile, but I just looked it up. I really like the simplicity of the layout.; I don't need fancy graphics.

Holy hell! Do you keep an IBM 386 around in the basement to play this? Maybe break out the original Wolfenstein now and then?

Reactions: 1 user
:laugh:

IIRC I have a ported version of the original Civ (runs on DOS) on an old Dell laptop. I literally keep it around for random games like that. The version I have is a little buggy, but still better than the emulator versions I've found out there. I think there is a web-based version of II or III, but it would crash a lot.

There are programs they make that let you emulate older operating systems. I remember having to download one so I could play Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle a few years ago.

I'm replaying New Vegas now on the 360. You should be able to pick up a used copy for 10 bucks or less. Definitely worth it.

Fallout 4 is fun, although so far I think Fallout 3 was better. Gameplay is fun, but the dialogue and story are not nearly as good as 3. It's been a hectic couple of weeks, so it and I haven't had as much quality time as I would have liked. Bloodborne is fun, if you like that genre of game.
Blood borne looks intriguing. I'm trying to get through Dragonage: Inquisition now. It's big and beautiful, but I can't figure out what is going on. The main story is pretty straightforward "you're the chosen one fare," but there's all kinds of political/factional subplots that are just to convoluted.

Anyone try Witcher 3 yet?

Hey mods- sorry if this thread is not appropriate. Maybe you can look at it as a good distraction from all the "waiting to hear" stuff that goes on in the field this time of year.