on secondaries, is it better to be politically correct or honest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an essay regarding diversity, I recount a conversation I had with an african american friend regarding his reactive dislike for the predominantly white community at our high school; the kids were scared of him because he was black, which in turn made him dislike those kids. I told him that he was right that those white kids were irrationally afraid of him, but they would revere him if they think he is their friend. My parents think this is too politically incorrect for a secondary, and think instead I should say that I told him that if he gives them a chance to get to know him then they would be thrilled to be his friend.

I like what I actually said, but I want to get some second thoughts on the political correctness of it. He was my best friend at the time and he was totally cool with what I said. In fact, it was a conversation we had multiple times.

– Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why they would revere him - did you explain it better in your essay? Your parents' wording sounds more natural to me.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't understand why they would revere him - did you explain it better in your essay? Your parents' wording sounds more natural to me.
Ya, it's a cultural thing; suburban white kids typically feel really cool when they are friends with a black kid. Maybe I'm overestimating how widely known this phenomenon is in the older generation....

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, it's a cultural thing; suburban white kids typically feel really cool when they are friends with a black kid. Maybe I'm overestimating how widely known this phenomenon is in the older generation....
Lmfao yes please put this to give adcoms some nice lols

Not universally true AT ALL

Reactions: 11 users
I have a hard time seeing how that "phenomenon" would be relevant to your essay at all...

Are you trying to illustrate that you're friends with an African-American kid, but not because it gives you cool points?

How noble

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Lmfao yes please put this to give adcoms some nice lols

Not universally true AT ALL
Please read more carefully. I said "typically," not "universally."

Perhaps you never have honest conversations about race with other people. This is a phenomenon that I have observed frequently in both high school and college. Moreover, I have heard white people admit to it and black people describe it on many occasions. Honestly, I would expect better insight from a medical student.

I have a hard time seeing how that "phenomenon" would be relevant to your essay at all...

Are you trying to illustrate that you're friends with an African-American kid, but not because it gives you cool points?

How noble
The essay is about experiences with other cultures. My friend was poor and southern, whereas I am from the bay area.

If you're going to put anything "politically incorrect" in your essays, I would hope your writing is good enough to pull it off. Otherwise, it's not going to come across well at all.

Reactions: 10 users
The essay is about experiences with other cultures. My friend was poor and southern, whereas I am from the bay area.
Diversity doesn't have to be about interacting with other cultures. I think the majority of people who have success with this question find something about themselves that makes them unique, and how your fresh perspective would contribute to the culture of a school. Granted I don't know the context of your essay and how you tie in your experience with your friend but I think there's likely a better way to approach the topic if you do decide to go that route. Being politically incorrect in med school essays is not a great idea.

Don't dismiss the other poster as having no insight. Know your audience and have tact-- medicine is very inclusive and politically correct. That's why they're asking about diversity in the first place.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure how you're going to pull this off at all. I would recommend finding a different instance in which you've engaged with diversity.

Reactions: 5 users

I went to a high school that was ~90-95% white and while I get the whole white kids think you're cool, there was never any "reverence" shown towards me.... Maybe about my sick shoe game but that's a whole other story.

Stick with what your parents said.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't think you fully understand what you are trying to explain.

This cultural "phenomenon" you speak of is based on stereotypes and cliches. Suburban white kid feels cool having a black friend because society insinuates that black people are some kind of one dimensional dangerous/rapper/athlete/more hip/come from some type of struggle or alien culture they are unfamiliar with and to befriend them feels like a sort of rebellious act OR they find a friend and decide their friend is "normal" and not what they thought black people were like and they are amazed at how multidimensional their friend is is compared to what their previous thoughts (reinforced by stereotypes) about black people.

This is definitely not something you should be trying to write about in a professional school essay because you insinuate uncomfortable stereotypes on behalf of both your white classmates and your black friend. Unless you are an ethnic studies major and write for the university newspaper covering race/societal topics, this is not the time nor place for your first ATTEMPT at penning a well nuanced piece that could blow up in your face or offend people (white and black).

Your parents idea of saying that a black person should give classmates who are scared of him a chance is also illogical. Unless they meant your classmates should have given HIM a chance. He does not have to prove himself "not dangerous" to people.

Reactions: 13 users
dear lord, please please please put this idiocy in an essay

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gawd, again??? The diversity essay is NOT about ethnicity...it's about what makes you cool and what you bring to the class. What would your friends say is cool about you???

Really? You're diverse because you had an African-American friend? Catch a clue, already.

In an essay regarding diversity, I recount a conversation I had with an african american friend regarding his reactive dislike for the predominantly white community at our high school; the kids were scared of him because he was black, which in turn made him dislike those kids. I told him that he was right that those white kids were irrationally afraid of him, but they would revere him if they think he is their friend. My parents think this is too politically incorrect for a secondary, and think instead I should say that I told him that if he gives them a chance to get to know him then they would be thrilled to be his friend.

I like what I actually said, but I want to get some second thoughts on the political correctness of it. He was my best friend at the time and he was totally cool with what I said. In fact, it was a conversation we had multiple times.

– Thanks!

Reactions: 23 users

– Thanks!

Yea, I don't know that "revere" is right choice of words to use. At any rate, I'm curious as to how this story relates to the true diversity that you would bring to the table as you're essentially saying, "There was this one time where I tried to help the black kid get friends."

I would either choose what your parents said or choose another topic. Your wording just doesn't go, in my opinion. Why would they automatically "revere" him? Because he is Black? I imagine that may not go well with some secondary essay readers, especially those who don't know of the cultural phenomenon you describe. Even if some or a lot of suburban White kids feel cool because they have a Black friend, I don't think this would be the best example for a diversity essay and describing your experience with other cultures. It kind of sounds like..."I'm diverse because my best friend is Black." I'm not attacking your reasoning, I just think you could give a better example.

You are from the Bay Area correct? SF, Oakland, Alameda are all extremely diverse cities with a wide range of cultures. Why not talk about that?

Reactions: 1 users
I told him that he was right that those white kids were irrationally afraid of him, but they would revere him if they think he is their friend.

How is your friend supposed to make the transition from "feared" to "revered friend"? It seems like you're insinuating that if your friend just tried harder, everyone would stop being afraid of him. That displays a very poor understanding of racism.

I'll echo others and say that if you're going to be politically incorrect, it has to be done really well. You should also have a strong reason for including it, and IMO this isn't it.

Reactions: 2 users
Please don't be the white guy that cites having a black friend for some kind of credibility.....

Reactions: 9 users
Please abandon this idea. If you don't, the only question is where you shoot yourself..

Putting this in your application would do the exact opposite of what you intend it to do.

Gaaaah noooooo don't do that. This has nothing to do with "political correctness". It's simply common sense.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you fully understand what you are trying to explain.

This cultural "phenomenon" you speak of is based on stereotypes and cliches. Suburban white kid feels cool having a black friend because society insinuates that black people are some kind of one dimensional dangerous/rapper/athlete/more hip/come from some type of struggle or alien culture they are unfamiliar with and to befriend them feels like a sort of rebellious act OR they find a friend and decide their friend is "normal" and not what they thought black people were like and they are amazed at how multidimensional their friend is is compared to what their previous thoughts (reinforced by stereotypes) about black people.

This is definitely not something you should be trying to write about in a professional school essay because you insinuate uncomfortable stereotypes on behalf of both your white classmates and your black friend. Unless you are an ethnic studies major and write for the university newspaper covering race/societal topics, this is not the time nor place for your first ATTEMPT at penning a well nuanced piece that could blow up in your face or offend people (white and black).

Your parents idea of saying that a black person should give classmates who are scared of him a chance is also illogical. Unless they meant your classmates should have given HIM a chance. He does not have to prove himself "not dangerous" to people.

THIS!!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about, OP - but a) you would need to figure out how to word it a lot better because the only reason I got it is I have a sibling in high school right now, b) it does come off as if you are saying "look at me I have a black friend" AND "I'm the *better* friend to my black friend", and c) you should write your essay about YOU, not your friend. If anything this experience would be your friend's essay to write.

Write your essay about what makes YOU different. IMO that is the purpose of these essays.

Hmm. Guess my black friends were the reason I was cool in high school!

4/10

This might have had a chance until you went ahead with the "white kids feeling cool" line

Last edited:
Your concept reminds me of the most excruciatingly painful PS I've ever read. It's a masterpiece. I saved it for posterity. Out of tens of thousands, that's saying something.

Out of tens of thousands, that's saying something.

763.gif

Everyone understands what it is that you're referring to. We're just confused that you think this is a good thing instead of the other side of the same insulting, stereotyping coin as the fear.

Not only is 'I have a black friend' not a diversity essay topic, but your essay summary demonstrates the opposite of cultural competency.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand, there's two types of diversity essays,

one is, how do you bring diversity

the other is, describe a time where you had to interact with someone from another race/culture/socioeconomic background

I point this out to say, maybe the essay isn't just supposed to be about yourself, maybe they want you to write about an interaction, but this is just *terrible*

I was making on a joke on your joke

Maybe he was just making a joke on your joke on his joke. Or nobody was joking to begin with. Wait what is this thread about? Oh yeah, a horrible horrible idea for a diversity essay, carry on.

Don't put it in your secondary. Don't mention it in job interviews. Don't bring it up on dates or when you go to breakfast with your mother, and especially don't talk about it with your black friends unless you're a card carrying white *****, such as myself, which I suspect you aren't. Your parents seem to know how to put a positive spin on it.

Most of my friends are black or latino and I am a “Junior Cousin” of the Nation of Islam where I teach infidel abasement techniques to the Mohammed (PBUHN) Scouts. I also am active in the fight for women’s reproductive rights except of course for women in Afghanistan who were better off before our current racist war. I suggest you find some similar experiences to increase your diversity contribution

Gawd, again??? The diversity essay is NOT about ethnicity...it's about what makes you cool and what you bring to the class. What would your friends say is cool about you???

Really? You're diverse because you had an African-American friend? Catch a clue, already.
First of all, black and white aren't ethnicities. They're skin colors, or "races".

Second of all, it's absolutely idiotic how adcoms expect us to know that when they're talking about diversity in terms of affirmative action it's solely based on skin color whereas when they have a diversity essay prompt it's something totally different.

Lastly, I'm offended that you used God's name in vain. Please refrain from doing that in the future, unless your vocabulary is really so limited that you are unable to express yourself without offending a large portion of Americans, not to mention your own creator. In that case, I pity you.

Last edited:
Your concept reminds me of the most excruciatingly painful PS I've ever read. It's a masterpiece. I saved it for posterity. Out of tens of thousands, that's saying something.
Would you mind sharing some day?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

First of all, black and white aren't ethnicities. They're skin colors, or "races".

Second of all, it's absolutely idiotic how adcoms expect us to know that when they're talking about diversity in terms of affirmative action it's solely based on skin color whereas when they have a diversity essay prompt it's something totally different.

Lastly, I'm offended that you used God's name in vain. Please refrain from doing that in the future, unless your vocabulary is really so limited that you are unable to express yourself without offending a large portion of Americans, not to mention your own creator. In that case, I pity you.

:eyebrow:

Better yet, write your diversity essay like this person. It'll get you about as far.

I can't get the "laughing so hard I'm crying emoji to work", but you should know I'm doing that.

AA isn't based solely on skin color, silly. Google which group benefits the most.

Everyone doesn't believe in the same creator, so chill. You're offending many Americans with your ableist language. Please refrain from doing that in the future, unless your vocabulary is really so limited. . . In that case, I pity you. Wait, I'm pretty sure most of us already do -_-

You can't tease us like that!

You can't tease us like that!

Would you mind sharing some day?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I have a copy at the office, but even excerpts would be easily identified by the author.There are phrases that could never be duplicated (with a straight face).

You're offending many Americans with your ableist language.
Googled it. Still confused how it applies to the poster you were referring to. Can you explain the bold? I'm not up to date on all of the latest buzzwords.

I have a copy at the office, but even excerpts would be easily identified by the author.There are phrases that could never be duplicated (with a straight face).
I can believe that! Can you give us a hint of what it was about though?

Googled it. Still confused how it applies to the poster you were referring to. Can you explain the bold? I'm not up to date on all of the latest buzzwords.

Posting the first two links I found on Google. I know this can be a touchy subject. So, this isn't a debate. My post was to say , don't call someone out for their "problematic" language when yours can be deemed the same.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/10/11/ableist-word-profile-idiot/

http://isthisableism.tumblr.com/sluralternatives

I can believe that! Can you give us a hint of what it was about though?
It was a series of vignettes in which the author (in the third person) describes his experiences almost as if they were the labors of Hercules. One of the stories was about befriending his housekeeper's son. It is that excerpt that reminded me of OP's essay concept. What made it epic was the way he portrayed himself as the Buddha to the son's Siddhartha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Posting the first two links I found on Google. I know this can be a touchy subject. So, this isn't a debate. My post was to say , don't call someone out for their "problematic" language when yours can be deemed the same.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/10/11/ableist-word-profile-idiot/

http://isthisableism.tumblr.com/sluralternatives
Well, I won't get into what I think about that. But you do realize you're chastising someone with a Trump avatar for being politically incorrect?

Last edited:
Aahhh, love the smell of loose cannon in the morning!

This scientifically correct, but incorrect from a sociology standpoint, which is precisely why the secondaries ask these types of questions.

We expect applicants to have both common sense, be capable of introspection, not be as clueless as Stop signs, and to actually have an idea of what culture awareness is.

God forbid someone cannot tell the difference between colloquialisms and the actual English spelling of God. Be very careful with the CARS portion of MCAT. And as it is said in Arabic, "God is merciful and compassionate."

Lastly, I'm offended that you used God's name in vain. Please refrain from doing that in the future, unless your vocabulary is really so limited that you are unable to express yourself without offending a large portion of Americans, not to mention your own creator. In that case, I pity you.[/QUOTE]