Oncology vet reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVABranch

one of 6000
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope this is appropriate. I am wondering if there is a "top doc" site/magazine/anything that provides the listings of "top rated" canine oncology docs in different cities. I know places like Philadelphia and DC have this in their respective magazines, but was wondering if there's an equivalent for the dog/vet world. Sorry if it's in appropriate. Any suggestions on where to get a second opinion (i.e. should I just use word of mouth, or rely on internet searches, etc)?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have extensive (ten years) experience in veterinary referral practice in the DC area. Depending on what's going on with your pet and what kind of oncologist you need (radiation/surgical/medical) and who you've already seen, I'm happy to give you my own personal thoughts etc over PM. Feel free to contact me. :) I know pretty much all of them.

There's no national chemo-off or something like that to determine the best veterinary oncologist. So any sort of ranking of oncologists is going to be like ranking veterinary schools, arbitrary and practically worthless.

For a second opinion, your best bet is to ask your veterinarian. He or she should be familiar with the regional referral centers. If not, try to ask some of the other veterinarians in the area where they would take their own dog.

Realize that depending on the details of your particular case, the best treatment often involves a team approach -- an oncologist, radiation oncologist, surgeon, radiologist, anesthesiologists, criticalist, veterinary technicains, and so on. You could be the best oncologist ever but if you don't have a good support staff, you're outcomes are not going to be as good.