One bad experience after another.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSLisBull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working as a tech for several years on and off between school and moving. However, it seems I cant catch a break and find a place that is a good fit. Between awful communication, unethical practices (including those that put my health at risk-no PPE for dentals at all), and having another tech become physical towards me has left me unbelievably frustrated with the vet med field. I've struggled with depression and I'm really questioning whether this is a good fit for me (as I have been for a while). Time to bail or keep looking for another practice? I'm in a very rural area and I'm wondering if it's just the wrong atmosphere, which is a bit disappointing because I do like living here... It's just the working aspect that has been a real kicker :(

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working as a tech for several years on and off between school and moving. However, it seems I cant catch a break and find a place that is a good fit. Between awful communication, unethical practices (including those that put my health at risk-no PPE for dentals at all), and having another tech become physical towards me has left me unbelievably frustrated with the vet med field. I've struggled with depression and I'm really questioning whether this is a good fit for me (as I have been for a while). Time to bail or keep looking for another practice? I'm in a very rural area and I'm wondering if it's just the wrong atmosphere, which is a bit disappointing because I do like living here... It's just the working aspect that has been a real kicker :(

I don't think I'd attribute these bad experiences with the entire field. There ARE good clinics out there, I guess you are just having a bit of a harder time finding one. Sorry this has been an issue for you :(. It's possible that it's just how they are in the area? Not sure if moving or a longer commute are options, but I'd look into those if they are!

Reactions: 1 user

Rural areas make it very difficult to find the job you KNOW you should be doing. I've worked at several different types of clinics/hospitals and my favorite was a clinic that was AAHA accredited. They have to meet different standards than just your general vet clinic. Do you have any AAHA accredited clinics close to where you live?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rural areas make it very difficult to find the job you KNOW you should be doing. I've worked at several different types of clinics/hospitals and my favorite was a clinic that was AAHA accredited. They have to meet different standards than just your general vet clinic. Do you have any AAHA accredited clinics close to where you live?

Unfortunately the only AAHA accredited hospital is an hour drive away. I would be more tolerant of this clinic if I was being paid but I have been "in orientation" and "feeling things out" per words of the owner for several 11 hour days now. Not wanting to be strung along any more, I'm making the call tomorrow am.

does that mean you aren't getting paid? Because I put all my techs and assistants through a 90 probation period (paid though)

No pay at all and I'm not written on the schedule. I already came in for a "working interview" but when I was told to come in to make a schedule nothing was ever written and no dates were discussed. I have no clue when I'm even supposed to be there because there is such a lack of communication. I went in today but was met by a tech throwing a fit that there were too many people so I left at lunch. The owner just left me a voicemail to "work" this weekend but I'm really not comfortable risking not getting paid, again.

Put the owner on the spot and ask if he/she is going to hire you. Communication goes both ways.

"In orientation" for several days? Have you been doing work for them, or are they making you shadow? I don't know what state you're in, but it sounds like they may be breaking the law if they're making you do work for the business and not paying you at all. Even if you haven't officially hired someone, you can't just require them to work without pay. And if they haven't done any of the official on-boarding paperwork, what happens if you get injured on the job this weekend? You may not be covered under their worker's comp insurance.

Personally, I'd jump ship and call the state labor department, but I can understand if you'd be hesitant to take it that far, especially in a rural area where people may all know each other. But the bottom line is how can you trust an employer who doesn't even pay you or communicate when you're supposed to come in?

Reactions: 1 users
No pay at all and I'm not written on the schedule. I already came in for a "working interview" but when I was told to come in to make a schedule nothing was ever written and no dates were discussed. I have no clue when I'm even supposed to be there because there is such a lack of communication. I went in today but was met by a tech throwing a fit that there were too many people so I left at lunch. The owner just left me a voicemail to "work" this weekend but I'm really not comfortable risking not getting paid, again.

then talk to them about your concerns instead of just leaving

"In orientation" for several days? Have you been doing work for them, or are they making you shadow? I don't know what state you're in, but it sounds like they may be breaking the law if they're making you do work for the business and not paying you at all. Even if you haven't officially hired someone, you can't just require them to work without pay. And if they haven't done any of the official on-boarding paperwork, what happens if you get injured on the job this weekend? You may not be covered under their worker's comp insurance.

Ok, some things just don't add up, I would definitely talk to them! Have you filled out your paperwork for tax purposes etc? Orientation should still be PAID training. Ask them for a clear schedule of what hours you are expected to work and if you will be paid for those hours and the hours you've currently worked. I agree with missdarjeeling, if you are not on the payroll, you are NOT covered by workers comp! If they aren't willing to give you the answers you need, find another clinic/hospital.

Personally, I'd jump ship and call the state labor department, but I can understand if you'd be hesitant to take it that far, especially in a rural area where people may all know each other. But the bottom line is how can you trust an employer who doesn't even pay you or communicate when you're supposed to come in?

I was upfront with wanting to be hired as a vet tech and I have been working doing blood draws, reception work, anesthesia/recovery monitoring, vaccinations, and assisting with exams. I have approached the owner about this before but I was told again I needed to learn how the clinic worked. I understand I need to get a feel for their routine and procedures but it has been pulling teeth trying to get on the schedule. As of now there is no written or even documented proof of me even being there.

You make a good (and unsettling) point about being injured on the job. Yesterday I had the other tech "jokingly" push me into a small recovery room with an aggressive dog recovering from anesthesia and told me to "go say hi" as he snapped at me. Needless to say I did not find it as funny as she did.

I was upfront with wanting to be hired as a vet tech and I have been working doing blood draws, reception work, anesthesia/recovery monitoring, vaccinations, and assisting with exams.

The tasks you list are definitely things that employees do and that benefit the business. If they are making you do those things and not paying you, they are violating the Fair Labor Standards Act and may be violating state-specific wage theft laws. This is insane and completely unacceptable. This is definitely not the standard for vet med as a whole. Please don't think that every hospital is like this or that this is normal.

I have approached the owner about this before but I was told again I needed to learn how the clinic worked. I understand I need to get a feel for their routine and procedures but it has been pulling teeth trying to get on the schedule. As of now there is no written or even documented proof of me even being there.

You make a good (and unsettling) point about being injured on the job. Yesterday I had the other tech "jokingly" push me into a small recovery room with an aggressive dog recovering from anesthesia and told me to "go say hi" as he snapped at me. Needless to say I did not find it as funny as she did.

Wow. That is beyond unacceptable. Utterly insane. This is so very wrong and so much beyond anything remotely considered normal in the hospitals I've worked at.

I'm getting the feeling that there's no documentation of you being there on purpose. If there's a paper trail, then the chances they'll straight up get caught stealing wages goes up. And if there's paperwork, they could get in serious trouble for also not having your I-9 completed and filed within 3 days of you setting foot in the clinic. These aren't minor workplace violations. These are the sorts of things that can shut a small business down.

Can you afford - literally (assuming they ever start paying you) and figuratively - to go somewhere else? If they're treating you like this and violating major laws left and right from the very start, it's not going to get better. This hospital has proven itself to be completely untrustworthy, and what that other tech did was straight up dangerous. I'm sorry you're in this position and very angry on your behalf. Nobody deserves to be treated like this. You have rights. You don't have to take this.

Reactions: 4 users

Holy **** batman, gtfo of there. I've worked at some places that had poor communication, bad management, or rude coworkers, but never something like that. The combination of you being "free help" plus the endangerment has my mouth hanging as I write this. It is ILLEGAL for them to have you work without pay, training is done on the job and PAID with a schedule and a paper trail.

I came from a rural area where there were very few hospitals and all of the ones I tried out weren't a good fit. I eventually moved (for other reasons) and found some great hospitals elsewhere. It sounds like you've just gotten very, very unlucky. But yeah, you need to have a conversation with the owner about this and unless drastic action is taken, jump ship, because it's not safe for you. Is there any hospital manager/HR person there? Or is it all the owner? I don't know what state you're in but there are resources for labor law violations like this, including getting paid for the time you've worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't assume all of vet med is like this, because it isn't. However, like with any career in the world, there are bad eggs out there. My last job was at a clinic with serious harassment, emotional abuse, and occasional objects being hurled at employees (and much, much more). You need to just leave. It won't get better, coming from personal experience. I'm all for reporting the garbage that's out there, but that's a personal decision. If you don't report it, someone else will surely end up in your old shoes.

To me it sounds like you're in a poorly described volunteer position. The people who directly hired you should have explained to you exactly what is expected of you, when your unpaid period ends, etc. Also, if you were to get bit, you haven't signed anything stating that you won't hold the clinic liable (or for any injury, for that matter). I had to sign waivers for any working interviews I did. It sounds like this clinic has a terrible manager who doesn't know the first thing about necessary paperwork. The easiest thing for you to do is stop showing up and politely let them know you've chosen to move along.