One Health programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JumppingBeans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here and applying to vet schools this cycle! My interest is One Health, with specific focus on epidemiology, zoonoses, veterinary public health, and comparative medicine. I am looking into DVM/PhD programs in One Health. Any recommendations for which schools to apply? I know that University of Florida just launched their One Health PhD program recently, and UC Davis has a strong program (I haven't done much research on their PhD program yet), and I would like to hear more about One Health program from other schools (in the US and abroad).
Best of luck to everyone who is applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am new here and applying to vet schools this cycle! My interest is One Health, with specific focus on epidemiology, zoonoses, veterinary public health, and comparative medicine. I am looking into DVM/PhD programs in One Health. Any recommendations for which schools to apply? I know that University of Florida just launched their One Health PhD program recently, and UC Davis has a strong program (I haven't done much research on their PhD program yet), and I would like to hear more about One Health program from other schools (in the US and abroad).

NCState

Hi,

Are you specifically looking for a PhD in One Health. I'm starting NCSU's DVM/PhD program next year. My PhD will be in Comparative Biomedical Sciences but there are also options for Immunology and Physiology. NCSU has a huge focus on One Health though (when you fill out your supplemental application, you'll notice that).

Basically any combined program you get into has a huge focus on One Health, it's the nature of combining research and veterinary medicine. If you have any specific questions about dual programs, let me know. I interviewed at a few other combined programs as well and can put you in contact with people at other schools. Good luck! These programs are super competitive, I still can't believe I got into one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State has a DVM/MPH program, although you have to apply to both of them separately I believe. I know it's not a combined PhD, but just something to think about.

Illinois has a DVM/MPH (master's of public health) program. You take courses during your DVM and then one extra year in Chicago (or online) after to get your MPH.