One last school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have space and time to add in 1 last MD school. Stats and ECs are in range for all.

Out of Loyola, NYMC, VCU, TCMC: Which 1 would you apply to? Considering curriculum, opportunities, match lists, ranking, atmosphere

It wouldn't be my top school, but would only be a safety/target

(YES, I know they're high volume; should I pick one or just stick with the schools I already have?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola is a Jesuit school with a certain culture and feel to it. It's not the right fit for everybody. Look into all that when deciding whether you want to include it. IF you have multiple MCAT scores this might not be the best option either
NYMC at over 13k apps a year probably isnt what I would be picking for the last school.
TCMC has a mission to serve northeast pennsylvania. It's at about 6000 OOS apps for 20-25 OOS matriculants. I see them take some people from New York and NJ but it's not a high yield option at all. Beyond that, consider how much you would enjoy spending time in Northeast PA for 4 years and potentially practicing there later on.
VCU is in Richmond and having been to the areas all 4 of these schools are in, I'd say it's rather different than the other 3 cities. Not a bad thing, but it's something to consider.

If your stats are in range for me this would come down to Loyola and VCU personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I applied to NYMC thinking "oh great no secondary essays just this stupid personality test!"

WRONG

Avoid CASPR at all costs, it was more of a headache than all but my longest secondary essays lol.

I'd vote TCMC for likeliness of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to NYMC thinking "oh great no secondary essays just this stupid personality test!"

WRONG

Avoid CASPR at all costs, it was more of a headache than all but my longest secondary essays lol.

I'd vote TCMC for likeliness of acceptance.

Another school I'm applying to requires CASPR too, so I wouldn't be going out of my way to take the test. NYMC's MMI is redundant with the CASPR so that should be interesting if I add NYMC..

I'll likely not apply to any of them. I'd rather save the $120+38 than apply somewhere I would automatically put at the bottom of my school list.

Another school I'm applying to requires CASPR too, so I wouldn't be going out of my way to take the test. NYMC's MMI is redundant with the CASPR so that should be interesting if I add NYMC..

I'll likely not apply to any of them. I'd rather save the $120+38 than apply somewhere I would automatically put at the bottom of my school list.

Maybe google which is the cheapest secondary? If your already taking CASPR you should totally tack on NYMC since its so easy (and I recall on the cheaper end)

Maybe google which is the cheapest secondary? If your already taking CASPR you should totally tack on NYMC since its so easy (and I recall on the cheaper end)

Secondary cost doesn't really factor in heavily. NYMC isn't too appealing and I already have 24-25 schools. If I don't get into any of those others than that should indicate that I have something to fix with my app

Hopefully they've made improvements since last year, but last year was the first year that US MD schools started using CASPER, there were some serious technical difficulties, and it caused some headaches for a bunch of us who took it.

Hopefully they've made improvements since last year, but last year was the first year that US MD schools started using CASPER, there were some serious technical difficulties, and it caused some headaches for a bunch of us who took it.
One school I'm applying to requires either a CASPR or lengthy essay. Many applicants opted for CaSPR last year. Which do you recommend?

If I were in your situation, I would pick VCU, but I'm biased because I think Richmond would be an awesome place to live.

One school I'm applying to requires either a CASPR or lengthy essay. Many applicants opted for CaSPR last year. Which do you recommend?
CASPER isn't particularly difficult, it was just really frustrating last year because the technical difficulties were so severe that they made some people unable to complete the exam. I think it depends upon preference. CASPER isn't difficult, but it is timed and it is a test, so that can be stressful. The essay could be good because it could give you a chance to stand out more than CASPER if you have something compelling to say, but it could also be more difficult because it would probably be easier to perform poorly on it. I can't really say what I'd recommend because it would depend on what the question was and how comfortable I felt answering it.