MD OneNote to Reference First Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m an incoming M1 and was just wondering what apps did everyone use to reference First Aid? I’m not planning to “learn ahead” aka blaze out gunner-style, or even study for Step 1 as soon as I get into medical school. Rather, I just want to supplement First Aid with my medical curriculum and various blocks. Hence why I’m opting to use the pdf version, rather than the physical copy to annotate it.

My issue is: I’ve been attempting to upload the 2018 version of FA into OneNote (via Microsoft Surface Pro), and it’s starting to have issues loading the pages. I’m not uploading everything into OneNote at once. They are in seperate notebook/sections, according to my school’s outlined blocks...which is why I’m a bit confused. I thought OneNote had unlimited upload storage. Has anyone ever successfully uploaded One Note into FA? If not, what apps have you used? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you just pull up the pdf and search from there? That's what I do.

Can you just pull up the pdf and search from there? That's what I do.
Ehhh, I was thinking about it. But when I do control F, the pdf literally takes 60 seconds to sort through the entire document for that particular phrase/word.

I wanted something a little bit more organized than that...and a little easier to get to the point. That’s how I got the idea of OneNote. I upload different sections, and then seperate those sections into subsections: Physiology of Renal, Pathology of Renal, Anatomy of Renal, etc. But it’s been acting up lately :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehhh, I was thinking about it. But when I do control F, the pdf literally takes 60 seconds to sort through the entire document for that particular phrase/word.

I wanted something a little bit more organized than that...and a little easier to get to the point. That’s how I got the idea of OneNote. I upload different sections, and then seperate those sections into subsections: Physiology of Renal, Pathology of Renal, Anatomy of Renal, etc. But it’s been acting up lately :(

What I do is actually jump to the index part of FA and search there in the pdf. It's much faster this way.

Hey, I did this and I love it - mostly for the quick ctrl + F as you said, and because I can search multiple resources at once (i.e. FA + my class notes). I uploaded about 50 pages at a time. I found that was the max I could do without it crashing. Everything seemed fine but then when I got to neuro as an M2, I noticed that the pages wouldn't load. They had a really annoying "Page is loading..." note and some would work after a few minutes and some would take way too long or never load. I got sick of guess and checking and ended up deleting all of those and re-uploading it, at which point it worked just fine.

OneNote is a gem, but can be finnicky, especially once you have a massive storage size (for me its several GB with everything). I have come to accept the occasional crashes and glitches as worthwhile for the benefit I derive from it 98% of the time.

Hey, I did this and I love it - mostly for the quick ctrl + F as you said, and because I can search multiple resources at once (i.e. FA + my class notes). I uploaded about 50 pages at a time. I found that was the max I could do without it crashing. Everything seemed fine but then when I got to neuro as an M2, I noticed that the pages wouldn't load. They had a really annoying "Page is loading..." note and some would work after a few minutes and some would take way too long or never load. I got sick of guess and checking and ended up deleting all of those and re-uploading it, at which point it worked just fine.

OneNote is a gem, but can be finnicky, especially once you have a massive storage size (for me its several GB with everything). I have come to accept the occasional crashes and glitches as worthwhile for the benefit I derive from it 98% of the time.
Omg this is me 100%. Neuro won’t freaking upload gah. I’m going to try deleting it (as you’ve done) and uploading it again. Thanks so much!!:love:

You can always print each chapter separately to first aid then search the individual chapters or get a more powerful computer.
:dead: I thought the Surface Pro was a powerful computer. I don’t know much about computers, but 1TB SSD and 64 GB Ram is supposed to hold a lot of data. Ughh, I feel ripped off. Worst case scenario, I’ll probably have to print out the chapters

TBH get a better pdf reader. When I use preview on my mac I agree it takes a long time to find what I'm looking for.

Then I found this app for my PC when I use first aid. It's called: SumatraPdf

The search function is amazing and the app is very light and quick. Highly recommend.

TBH get a better pdf reader. When I use preview on my mac I agree it takes a long time to find what I'm looking for.

Then I found this app for my PC when I use first aid. It's called: SumatraPdf

The search function is amazing and the app is very light and quick. Highly recommend.
This sounds interesting, will definitely be checking this out. Is the app only for reading materials though, or can you also categorize the sections you want to see?

This sounds interesting, will definitely be checking this out. Is the app only for reading materials though, or can you also categorize the sections you want to see?
Not sure I understand your question, just download it and try it out. For what it's worth, the app doesn't have many features but it's very lightweight and easy to use.

Not sure I understand your question, just download it and try it out. For what it's worth, the app doesn't have many features but it's very lightweight and easy to use.
Recieved, I’ll just check it out. Thanks for the great recommendation!