Online Calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can take calculus online and have it count toward grad school prereqs?

Get this, I have already been ACCEPTED into Northwestern's DPT program, and still have to take physics II and calc. Of course they're offered at conflicting times through the community college where I'm doing my prereq work (where I've been placed into calculus based on my high school performance), so I've tried to get several other community colleges to let me take calc there. But, they won't let me take it because I haven't taken the college algebra prerequisite class...which I took in high school and isn't even offered as a class at my regular undergrad university because most people take it in high school. And they won't count my ACT score for placement because it's too old (I got a 31 on the math portion, and they require a 26 to take calc...I don't think I got that much dumber in the past 5 years).

Basically, I'm screwed. I found one online calc class through San Fran state and emailed NU to ask if it will count, but it's still pretty pricey ($900) and I can't afford that right now (i've put a great sum of money into a CD to keep it for grad school and will get hefty fines to withdrawal it early - I was counting on only spending $300 for calc at comm. college). Does anyone know any other community colleges or anything at this point that offers it?

I'm even contemplating retaking the ACT in Dec. to have a more current score so I can place into calc. Ridiculous. Or, teaming up with the math teacher who I assist at work (where I tutor kids in college algebra, go figure) to give me a crash course in calc, try to take the calc AP exam, and see if I can get the college credit for it and have that count.

Any suggestions would be GREAT right now, because I don't like the idea of a community college not letting me take calculus to be what prevents me from starting PT school in 2010.

Summer school is also an option, but I've been in school full time (including summers) since I graduated high school over 4 years ago, so I already have plans to enjoy my 2 months of non-school and go on a vacation (I haven't left the state of IL in 9 years). Obviously grad school comes first, but I'm pretty sure I'll go crazy in the process :p

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the City Colleges of Chicago (the community colleges there) have it online. I go to Truman College and they have had it listed in the past. Good luck!

Last edited: