Online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptdude66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering how many people have taken a lot of online classes? I'm currently sitting at around a 2.8 GPA. I'm retaking some of my prerequisite classes with labs, but I'm also filling up my schedule with a bunch of online classes such as Kinesiology and some Psychology classes. By taking these online classes I'll be at a 3.1 GPA for this next cycle. Does anyone know if this is a bad idea? Do schools look at online classes differently? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, the online classes isn't a bad idea unless these classes are part of your prerequisite courses. Then at this point, I would highly advise against it. However if it's not a prerequisite, then it will only help increase your cGPA. I don't believe schools will look at online classes differently. I've taken a few online courses the past years and made certain that I've gotten A's in all of them.

I took my psychology prerequisites online and schools had no issue with it. As long as its not the main sciences that require labs (chemistry, physics, anatomy, physiology, etc), you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-reqs that involve labs are generally a no-go for online, classes that aren't pre-reqs shouldn't matter. Contact the schools you are interested in applying to just to verify.

Once your cGPA is above a 3.0, don't kill yourself trying to continue increasing it by taking random class after class. That is an uphill battle. Focus on pre-req GPA, GRE scores, diverse observation hours, and essay/LORs. Those are the only way you can realistically make significant headway making up for your poor cGPA.

Pre-reqs that involve labs are generally a no-go for online, classes that aren't pre-reqs shouldn't matter. Contact the schools you are interested in applying to just to verify.

Once your cGPA is above a 3.0, don't kill yourself trying to continue increasing it by taking random class after class. That is an uphill battle. Focus on pre-req GPA, GRE scores, diverse observation hours, and essay/LORs. Those are the only way you can realistically make significant headway making up for your poor cGPA.
Thanks for all the input guys! DesertPT, what do you mean by an uphill battle? There are plenty of online classes that are interesting to me (lots of kinesiology classes at my CC) that can help raise my GPA. I calculated and I can probably get up to almost a 3.5 in two cycles, along with retaking prerequisites.

But I also completely agree to focus on the other things also since those are extremely important. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
what do you mean by an uphill battle

If you have or close to have a bachelor's degree you have to take a lot of classes to significantly impact your cGPA. You can impact your pre-req GPA a lot more substantially with a lot less classes.

If you aren't that close to having a bachelor's degree than obviously it is going to be a lot easier to raise your GPA.

I have taken a number of online classes for a variety of reasons and in talking to PT schools haven't found that it hurts me. They would certainly prefer if you took a traditional class but online works as well as long as it is associated with a good school and you do well. For example, I am taking a hybrid A&P II course this semester (50% online and 50% in class) to improve on a previous grade. I do not have the time to do it since I am also working on my Masters degree which is very time consuming. If you are doing an online class because it is "easier" to get an A, then it will look bad.

Online classes are great for raising overall GPA. I took a TON of them and they really helped me get above that magic 3.0 mark (overall GPA). But, I would first retake all your low pre reqs (in person as required). I'm a little crazy on this one, I say, retake everything so you have an A on top (that's an extreme take...but if you have straight As in all retakes, it's hard to argue with come admissions time). Then, if your pre reqs are already strong, take as many online classes as you can afford/want to to pull overall GPA up too.

I took Chem II online with a lab component. We had to buy the lab kit and video or photograph ourselves doing the experiment. Duke didn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't automatically say you can't take a course online just because it has a lab. Look at all your options. Schools aren't going to care where you took it or how as long as you did and the course hit all the necessary objectives. I took it through ocean county community college in NJ, not even in my state (VA).

I took Chem II online with a lab component. We had to buy the lab kit and video or photograph ourselves doing the experiment. Duke didn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't automatically say you can't take a course online just because it has a lab. Look at all your options. Schools aren't going to care where you took it or how as long as you did and the course hit all the necessary objectives. I took it through ocean county community college in NJ, not even in my state (VA).

This is definitely true, but the OP is advised that taking a pre-req with a lab online will limit your options as far as where you can apply. If the OP already knows where they are going to apply then they should check with each school and go from there. :)

Why would it limit your options of where you can apply? Does anyone have anecdotal (or other) evidence from a school saying "absolutely not"? I'm just wondering...

Why would it limit your options of where you can apply? Does anyone have anecdotal (or other) evidence from a school saying "absolutely not"? I'm just wondering...
If you go to the PTCAS website under program prerequisites.... most programs will indicate that science courses must have a LAB and that ONLINE courses do not fill their requirements. For example, Long Island University. Check the link below and go to 'Course Prerequisites'. It clearly indicates this... so as @DesertPT claims, online courses will indeed limit your options.

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=989&navid=10737426783

Reactions: 1 users
If you go to the PTCAS website under program prerequisites.... most programs will indicate that science courses must have a LAB and that ONLINE courses do not fill their requirements. For example, Long Island University. Check the link below and go to 'Course Prerequisites'. It clearly indicates this... so as @DesertPT claims, online courses will indeed limit your options.

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=989&navid=10737426783

Hence why you need to check with each school, as has been stated.

Members don't see this ad :)
DjT3kN....hmm good to know. Thanks for the evidence, when I applied it wasn't an issue for me. Granted, I only applied to one school and I'm sure this varies program-to-program. Either way, OP, don't necessarily write off taking online science courses, there are some out there that will fulfill the requirements and schools that will accept them! Again, just my perspective! No one else on this thread has had a similar experience to mine, so just wanted the OP to see all angles!

I'm trying to take online course at University of Phoenix in A&P II because I got a C in the class and the local CC won't let me retake it. Do you guys know if it will look bad if I take the course through them?

I'm trying to take online course at University of Phoenix in A&P II because I got a C in the class and the local CC won't let me retake it. Do you guys know if it will look bad if I take the course through them?
It depends on the school. I took A&P through UofP years ago when I was still in the Army and taking an in-person lab wasn't feasible. I did pretty well, but the PT school I am applying to doesn't accept science courses taken online so I retook my A&P courses in person.

I'd strongly recommend that you take your A&P courses in a physical classroom setting than online. Most PT programs, that I'm aware of, do not accept online courses to fulfill their prerequisite requirements.

Agree, check with your potential DPT schools directly first before wasting your time and money for an online class they might not take.

I am in a really tough position where I either take it online in the Fall or wait till the Spring to take it. I can't take it physically because by Florida law, if you pass a class you can't retake it; at least at Tallahassee Community College and online courses are so expensive. 3000$ for one class is insane. I might have to take my chances with a C in Anatomy and Phys II. I got a B in the lab. What do you all think?

Boop, I'm going to bump this again.
I've asked once or twice on other threads in the past and still haven't really received an answer.
Anyway, I took one or two pre-reqs online at a CC, but the labs were in person on campus and the tests were in person on campus as well. Does that change things at all? Every thread I see about this always talks about the labs being online. I don't really see what the difference is then if the labs and the tests were all done in person? Especially since now I'm finishing up my prereqs and at a university and they are NOT online classes, but all of our homework is turned in online anyway, like through Sapling and the like. But the labs are in person and the tests are in class or in the proctoring center... there just doesn't seem any difference to me?? I live close to EVMS and would love to apply there, but they explicitly state no online classes, which is frustrating for all the of the reasons I stated above.

Wrroooooong forum, sorry. But, if anyone has an answer anyway, that would be cool.

Boop, I'm going to bump this again.
I've asked once or twice on other threads in the past and still haven't really received an answer.
Anyway, I took one or two pre-reqs online at a CC, but the labs were in person on campus and the tests were in person on campus as well. Does that change things at all? Every thread I see about this always talks about the labs being online. I don't really see what the difference is then if the labs and the tests were all done in person? Especially since now I'm finishing up my prereqs and at a university and they are NOT online classes, but all of our homework is turned in online anyway, like through Sapling and the like. But the labs are in person and the tests are in class or in the proctoring center... there just doesn't seem any difference to me?? I live close to EVMS and would love to apply there, but they explicitly state no online classes, which is frustrating for all the of the reasons I stated above.

I had a LOT of luck calling the schools about this. Most were very OK with online lecture and in person lab and tests. Also, what does your transcript say? At one college, my transcript literally said the same thing for the in person and online course.....there was no way to tell from my official record that I did the lecture portion from home....just saying.....

Imo, an online class is where you never set foot on campus. If your labs are onsite, it's not an online class anymore. If you're in doubt, send the syllabus to the school to double check.