Online MHA Program...is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblegirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, sorry for posting this in the MPH threads but there's not a spot for MHA.

I've already been through the threads that talk about MHA on this forum...and none of them really answer my question, and if they did, they were old threads.

I got accepted into LSUS Online MHA program. First off, I am hesitant about going into this route because of it being online and I'm not sure if executives will still see that as second-rate course work. Times have changed and I have seen some of the directors in my place of profession (A large insurance company) graduate with degrees from University of Phoenix. Not to diss anyone who has recieved a degree from this institution, but it has always been instilled in me that you're basically paying for the degree.

That's the last thing I would want future employers to think of me. Therefore I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to get the degree. Tuition is around 25k-30k since I am out of state (trying to see if my job will pay for tuition: I believe they pay 10k per year) and it is accreditied by AACSB. I am currently at an entry level position. I understand that most people who get these degrees are already on their way up or are at the top. I am afraid of:
1. being overqualified
2. wasting 25-30k (possibly 10-15k if my work pays for it)
3. not being viewed as a reputable program/school

Thanks ahead for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't even waste your time at LSUS. I just finished that program and it is the WORST! Actually just one of the profs is terrible, the chair of the program, Dr. Fortenberry. He would do things like give you 24 hrs to write a 10 or 12 or 15 page paper. Seriously, give you the topic and start the timer, 24 hrs later if it wasn't turned in with at least 20 references you fail. And to top it off, he usually did that kind of stuff on a Tues or Thursday, so if you work, good luck. He is absolutely the worst teacher I have ever had in my life and he ruins the entire program. The quality of education is crap also, not worth the money they charge! Find another program!

Reactions: 1 user