Online Prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mannater12

Reaction score
New to SDN here! I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not I would be able to take the prerequisites for podiatry school via online courses such as the ones offered by New England University? I'm a nontraditional and my work schedule takes me out of the country for months at a time and honestly quitting my job to go back and do a post bacc is not going to work. I didn't do premed in my undergrad, I was all romanticized with the social sciences but age and family has made me see the importance of a stable career.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

New to SDN here! I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not I would be able to take the prerequisites for podiatry school via online courses such as the ones offered by New England University? I'm a nontraditional and my work schedule takes me out of the country for months at a time and honestly quitting my job to go back and do a post bacc is not going to work. I didn't do premed in my undergrad, I was all romanticized with the social sciences but age and family has made me see the importance of a stable career.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
You'll do fine doing the online courses. I did some chemistry online and it worked out well. The labs are usually a different class and you can schedule them at a convenient time as well if needed.

I think it’d be difficult to complete many of the prereqs online because many of them also have lab requirements (o chem, biology, physics).
The program at UNE allows the lab to be done online as well. They mail you a kit and you follow allow and do the experiments and then do the reports etc as you would in a normal lab. But it's these particular lab courses I am a bit more worried about. I emailed some of the programs but have yet to get any response from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The program at UNE allows the lab to be done online as well. They mail you a kit and you follow allow and do the experiments and then do the reports etc as you would in a normal lab. But it's these particular lab courses I am a bit more worried about. I emailed some of the programs but have yet to get any response from them.

I think you will be fine. UNE is a popular school for their online premed program. While you wait for the schools to respond back, you should also call/email aacpmas and see what they say.
Let us know. Good luck!

I think you will be fine. UNE is a popular school for their online premed program. While you wait for the schools to respond back, you should also call/email aacpmas and see what they say.
Let us know. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice all! will be sure to post as soon as I have gotten a reply from the schools and now AACPM

Let us know. Good luck!

Emailed the AACPM about online courses and they said "As long as the university or college is accredited the classes you take online should count."

So currently in the process of reaching out to the schools individually.
The only negative feedback so far has been from Samuel Merritt, while Arizona said it doesn't affect your chances if you are currently not in the country.

Reactions: 1 users
Emailed the AACPM about online courses and they said "As long as the university or college is accredited the classes you take online should count."

So currently in the process of reaching out to the schools individually.
The only negative feedback so far has been from Samuel Merritt, while Arizona said it doesn't affect your chances if you are currently not in the country.

I would recommend taking the courses in person...

I taught 15+ university chem. courses, and probably took 20+ labs throughout college myself.

I'm shocked pod. school would allow such an easy way out.

I taught 15+ university chem. courses, and probably took 20+ labs throughout college myself.

lol.... please explain "easy way out"

Reactions: 1 user

I'm sorry I don't see how this is an easy way out. It's simply an alternative. Not all candidates can afford to go back to school full time and there may also be other extenuating circumstances like in my case. But I do hope that my post is helpful to at least some career changers who were looking for information

Some MD schools and even more DO schools will accept some online prerequisite courses if taken at an regionally accredited college or university. What is there to be shocked about?

Like there are no med schools where students spend their first 2 years watching recorded lectures at 1.5-2.0x speed at home?

More and more colleges are offering online courses. These that are taken at an accredited colleges are often taught by the same professors that teach in person. Same book, same class content, same in-person exams.

Around half or so students never go to lectures at colleges and universities and just study on their own. They just come for exams. Nobody cares about that. Who cares how you study, in class, online, at home or in the library. What matters is that everyone takes the same exams.

lol.... please explain "easy way out"
I'm sorry I don't see how this is an easy way out. It's simply an alternative. Not all candidates can afford to go back to school full time and there may also be other extenuating circumstances like in my case. But I do hope that my post is helpful to at least some career changers who were looking for information

I have nothing against Pod school. In fact, I think its a tremendously good career path. But I do think this needs changed. Students should have more lab experience...both for the sake of keeping pod. school more competitive, and for the the students benefits.

Some MD schools and even more DO schools will accept some online prerequisite courses if taken at an regionally accredited college or university. What is there to be shocked about?

Yes, but MD and DO schools also have a lot less to prove than pod. schools. I think pod schools are on the "up" right now in terms of becoming a very well respected profession. Its just another way to keep that going forward, in addition to students benefits from lab work.

I have nothing against Pod school. In fact, I think its a tremendously good career path. But I do think this needs changed. Students should have more lab experience...both for the sake of keeping pod. school more competitive, and for the the students benefits.

Yes, but MD and DO schools also have a lot less to prove than pod. schools. I think pod schools are on the "up" right now in terms of becoming a very well respected profession. Its just another way to keep that going forward, in addition to students benefits from lab work.
I dont have much against online classes. I have taken some and absolutely loved it. I did better because I spent more time studying rather than driving and getting to and from the class. Most courses nowadays consist of power point slides anyways. You can look at slides anywhere. I would highly advise to take physics, gen chem and organic chemistry on campus regardless anything because I dont believe online or virtual labs for these courses can come any close to real labs. Otherwise, any other science course without labs can be taken online without any difference.

Hey all, just updating!
Scholl and Barry have both gotten back to me saying that it does not matter if the prerequisites are done online or not (including the lab components) once the institution is Regionally Accredited. Both have said that it does not impact on the competitiveness of your candidacy as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It's not about proving something to someone by taking online courses. The premed courses offered at UNE are some of the most recognized in the country and people been taking those classes for all types of profession.

You can read it all here: THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

It's all legit there including their labs, so nothing wrong if someone takes a class from their site if they cannot attend a university in person.
All these "labs" in undergrad were a waste of time anyways for medical school, esp orgo; besides their relevance on the MCAT, they hold no meaning to doing well in medical school or not.

Just another update to all. Got back word from NYCPM, they are also okay with online classes but it must be the 4 credit version inclusive of the lab.
So just to put it all in 1:
AACPM - Online classes are not a problem
Schools that have no problem with online classes: NYCPM, Scholl, Barry, Temple (obviously once it is regionally accredited)
AZPOD - no problem with online classes if you are for some reason living abroad or out of the country
DMU- maximum of three (3) online classes with labs
Both California schools are not that fond of online courses and labs
Kent State - Still no reply

It's not about proving something to someone by taking online courses. The premed courses offered at UNE are some of the most recognized in the country and people been taking those classes for all types of profession.

As someone who has taken 15+ lab courses in undergrad, taught 15+ lab courses in chemistry graduate school, and who is in medical school, I have to say anecdotally that labs are extremely important in so many ways, and it would take me several paragraphs to even explain.

As someone who has taken 15+ lab courses in undergrad, taught 15+ lab courses in chemistry graduate school, and who is in medical school, I have to say anecdotally that labs are extremely important in so many ways, and it would take me several paragraphs to even explain.

Yeah, I'm sure they will help in some ways but what I was saying was that if someone thinks getting an A in gen chem or orgo will help them later on in medical school classes, then they are wrong. Those premed courses, besides the bio ones, are relevant to do well on MCAT but irrelevant for meds school.

Those labs will help though if someone is going for teaching or getting a masters/PhD in one of the sciences.

Yeah, I'm sure they will help in some ways but what I was saying was that if someone thinks getting an A in gen chem or orgo will help them later on in medical school classes, then they are wrong. Those premed courses, besides the bio ones, are relevant to do well on MCAT but irrelevant for meds school.

Those labs will help though if someone is going for teaching or getting a masters/PhD in one of the sciences.

I think its more complicated than that. The reason that nursing students take chemistry courses, etc. is because we want people to understand science.

Physicians are essentially applied scientists. They should understand the scientific method to some extent, and should have practiced it.

With your views, why not just start with medical school and skip undergrad. altogether?

With your views, why not just start with medical school and skip undergrad. altogether?

I wish that was the system but it's not and since I want to be a doc in the US, I gota follow the US rules to be one.
Whereas, students in other parts of the world enter Meds school right after High school.
A buddy of mine finished a BS/MD program and finished residency by age 24. I wish this was the case and more of such programs existed.

Anyways, I'd like to be on this threads topic. @Mannater12 thanks for posting your findings, it will help anyone looking for such requirements in the future.

I think its more complicated than that. The reason that nursing students take chemistry courses, etc. is because we want people to understand science.

Physicians are essentially applied scientists. They should understand the scientific method to some extent, and should have practiced it.

Yep, people in other countries enter medical schools right after high school.

Both systems have its advantages and disadvantages.

I wish that was the system but it's not and since I want to be a doc in the US, I gota follow the US rules to be one.
Whereas, students in other parts of the world enter Meds school right after High school.
A buddy of mine finished a BS/MD program and finished residency by age 24. I wish this was the case and more of such programs existed.

Anyways, I'd like to be on this threads topic. @Mannater12 thanks for posting your findings, it will help anyone looking for such requirements in the future.

I think its advantageous to doctors to learn and execute the scientific method before starting medical school. Other countries generally don't have the perks US doctors have. Going along with @de Ribas has said, there are pros and cons (but truth could be said about almost anything).

going through chemistry undergrad, chemistry masters, and a doctorate in medicine has made me feel much more qualified in terms of knowledge and ability to help people.

I'm honestly not sure I want my physician to have never had a real organic lab course.

I'm honestly not sure I want my physician to have never had a real organic lab course.
I think its advantageous to doctors to learn and execute the scientific method before starting medical school. Other countries generally don't have the perks US doctors have.
First. US healthcare is one of the worst of the developed countries. It ranks about #37, despite being the most expensive in the world. About 3.5-4.0 trillion per year. That is about 20% of our GDP or GDP of some European countries.

High school education is weak in US compared to many other countries. Many countries makes their students take organic chemistry and labs in high school.

What we learn in 10-12th grades in US for math, physics and chemistry, students in other countries cover same topics in 5th-9th grades.

When I took calc-based physics at large university, one of the 8th grade physics teacher from Europe sent me copies of what her students were going through. They were going through the same material and more in depth.

I have had algebra, geometry, zoology, biology in 5th grade and physics, chemistry, anatomy, physiology in 7th-8th grades.

First. US healthcare is one of the worst of the developed countries. It ranks about #37, despite being the most expensive in the world. About 3.5-4.0 trillion per year. That is about 20% of our GDP or GDP of some European countries.

I've seen some of criteria of those lists in the past. Some countries boast lower health care costs, but at the cost of something, and that's usually at speedy health care...

At the end of the day, US chooses to give health care to those who need it faster, but at a much higher cost.

Other developed countries make you wait months or more for basic health care but do keep their costs low.

In life or death situations, the USA health care system seems better.

But as you say, pros and cons.

High school education is weak in US compared to many other countries. Many countries makes their students take organic chemistry and labs in high school.

What we learn in 10-12th grades in US for math, physics and chemistry, students in other countries cover same topics in 5th-9th grades.

When I took calc-based physics at large university, one of the 8th grade physics teacher from Europe sent me copies of what her students were going through. They were going through the same material and more in depth.

I have had algebra, geometry, zoology, biology in 5th grade and physics, chemistry, anatomy, physiology in 7th-8th grades.

I have heard this before. I'm sure there is some truth to this, but its not as though American high schools don't offer those types of courses for students that excel. I had a friend go to "organic chemistry camp" in high school.

Attachments

• propublica-mortality-rates.png
    propublica-mortality-rates.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 84
  • screen-shot-2018-01-08-at-10-57-23-am.png
    screen-shot-2018-01-08-at-10-57-23-am.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 49
Other developed countries make you wait months or more for basic health care but do keep their costs low.
I have a degree in healthcare management so we learned a lot about US healthcare system and systems in other parts of the world.

Contrary to what you say, US healthcare system is not good. You wait longer here than at other countries. Three major measures that healthcare system is measured against are Access, Quality and Cost. US is behind other developed countries in all measures.

In US, about 400,000 people die from medical errors, that 3rd leading cause of death in USA.

Why people often turn to emergency care and why US has poor outcomes and so many deaths, because preventative care in USA is very poor. It doesnt work.

In other countries, more money are spent on preventative care. Children and mothers have great access to care. Children growth and development is closely monitored with regular checks and treatment. Often 1-2 nurses are assigned and they visit homes on a scheduled basis to make sure people and especially kids have access to preventative care.

Nothing of that in US.

but at the cost of something, and that's usually at speedy health care..
Only in US you pay more for care that is quickest you can imagine. PCPs schedule no more than 15 mins for their patients. That's like assembly line.

I have been a patient in US and in Europe, cant even compare.

American high schools don't offer those types of courses for students that excel. I had a friend go to "organic chemistry camp" in high school.
Very rare. But, even if they do, there are schools in Europe that are called like gymnasiums or academies where high school students take even more rigorous coursework and at least 3 foreign languages at the same time. One of my classmates went to a school like that. He took German, Italian, French and English while taking other hard sciences. That's not a norm but for smart kids who excel.

I dont think so. Just look at specific measures.

I will just post couple measures that are shocking.

1. Maternal deaths are the highest among developed countries.

U.S. Has The Worst Rate Of Maternal Deaths In The Developed World

2. Infant mortality rate is also the highest.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5090112/infant-mortality-rate-usa

Many other developed countries determine their infant mortality rates in ways we do not. It was discussed in our medical school anatomy class, but I don't remember what is was (maybe still births, death within a certain time, etc.)

Admittedly, it was still pretty poor, but not as poor as generic statistics would assemble because they are calculated differently per country. Unless your link accounts for exactly the same parameters (which it could).

I have a degree in healthcare management so we learned a lot about US healthcare system and systems in other parts of the world.

Contrary to what you say, US healthcare system is not good. You wait longer here than at other countries. Three major measures that healthcare system is measured against are Access, Quality and Cost. US is behind other developed countries in all measures.

In US, about 400,000 people die from medical errors, that 3rd leading cause of death in USA.

Why people often turn to emergency care and why US has poor outcomes and so many deaths, because preventative care in USA is very poor. It doesnt work.

In other countries, more money are spent on preventative care. Children and mothers have great access to care. Children growth and development is closely monitored with regular checks and treatment. Often 1-2 nurses are assigned and they visit homes on a scheduled basis to make sure people and especially kids have access to preventative care.

Nothing of that in US.

What do you think we can do to fix our health care?

Very rare. But, even if they do, there are schools in Europe that are called like gymnasiums or academies where high school students take even more rigorous coursework and at least 3 foreign languages at the same time. One of my classmates went to a school like that. He took German, Italian, French and English while taking other hard sciences. That's not a norm but for smart kids who excel.

I think "smart kids that excel" have the same opportunities here as well. I don't even know what the top high schools are in the country, but I'm sure they offer everything that other countries do.