Only 1 interview, 260 step1, 267 step2 CK, should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tariq Khader

Reaction score
Hello All.

I have graduated last year top of my class, currently doing masters in health care innovation in ASU, my step1 score is 260 and step2 CK is 267, I'm a non-US IMG applying for Family Medicine.

So far, I've only got 1 interview, which is very surprising to me, I started to get worried and think what did I do wrong. My US clinical experience was in Emergency Medicine, could that be a problem? I have applied to a total of 94 programs, what would you advice me to do? Should I follow up with programs, apply to other programs, or just wait?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to know without specifics. Did you apply on 9/15? How competitive are the programs you applied to--ie did you mostly look at university programs, or did you include community programs too?

A lot of non-US IMGs apply to a few hundred programs, so if you only went for mid-tier university programs which have not historically taken IMGs or don't support the kind of visa you need, that could be the problem.

Hard to know without specifics. Did you apply on 9/15? How competitive are the programs you applied to--ie did you mostly look at university programs, or did you include community programs too?

A lot of non-US IMGs apply to a few hundred programs, so if you only went for mid-tier university programs which have not historically taken IMGs or don't support the kind of visa you need, that could be the problem.

I applied on September 19th actually, and have applied for both, competitive and mid-tier programs, also a mix of university and community programs. the only filtration I had was based on night calls and bad lifestyle conditions. I've had 6 rejections from programs that do not sponsor visas, but haven't heard from the rest

I always have to ask what you mean by non-US IMG. Do you mean you completed med school your home country (i.e. you're from Canada, the UK, France, India, etc. who completed med school in your home country and wants to come to the U.S. for residency?). That's what I'd call an FMG. Or do you mean that you're from another country and went to the Caribbean for med school?

I always have to ask what you mean by non-US IMG. Do you mean you completed med school your home country (i.e. you're from Canada, the UK, France, India, etc. who completed med school in your home country and wants to come to the U.S. for residency?). That's what I'd call an FMG. Or do you mean that you're from another country and went to the Caribbean for med school?

I have completed Med school in my home country (Jordan) and I need visa sponsorship, every year, 50%+ of applicants from my university match, which are around 20 people

I have completed Med school in my home country (Jordan) and I need visa sponsorship, every year, 50%+ of applicants from my university match, which are around 20 people

Hm, I don't know much about chances with Visa sponsorship. Good luck to you! I hope you match!

There is a thread for I/FMG applicants...why did you feel the you needed you own thread?
Mods can this merged with the existing thread?

Reactions: 1 users
I applied on September 19th actually, and have applied for both, competitive and mid-tier programs, also a mix of university and community programs. the only filtration I had was based on night calls and bad lifestyle conditions. I've had 6 rejections from programs that do not sponsor visas, but haven't heard from the rest
If you only applied to 94 programs and didn’t check how many of them even sponsor visas or have previously been IMG-friendly... that’s your problem. Your scores are great, but you need to focus on places that have been known to sponsor visas and taken IMGs in the past.

Honestly don’t know if it’s worth applying to more programs this late, but it may be worth considering, especially if there are some programs that have taken grads from your specific school recently. If there are any programs on your list that have a history of taking IMGs, particularly from your school, for sure reach out now.

Last edited:
If you only applied to 94 programs and didn’t check how many of them even sponsor visas or have previously been IMG-friendly... that’s you’re problem. Your scores are great, but you need to focus on places that have been known to sponsor visas and taken IMGs in the past.

Honestly don’t know if it’s worth applying to more programs this late, but it may be worth considering, especially if there are some programs that have taken grads from your specific school recently. If there are any programs on your list that have a history of taking IMGs, particularly from your school, for sure reach out now.
Will be doing just that

There is a thread for I/FMG applicants...why did you feel the you needed you own thread?
Mods can this merged with the existing thread?
It's just that I'm new here and still haven't figured out how things work, appreciate letting me know

This thread is specific enough that I think the OP wanted other opinions too. Most of us aren't reading the I/FMG thread. I think it's appropriate as a solo thread.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is specific enough that I think the OP wanted other opinions too. Most of us aren't reading the I/FMG thread. I think it's appropriate as a solo thread.
It’s basically a WAMC question...which would be appropriate if the WAMC sticky or the IMG Applicant thread...and since the WAMC thread is more AMG focused, the IMG thread will probably give him more answers ...his type question has been posted there A number of times... while you may not go there, it is one of the more active threads here.

If you only applied to 94 programs and didn’t check how many of them even sponsor visas or have previously been IMG-friendly... that’s your problem. Your scores are great, but you need to focus on places that have been known to sponsor visas and taken IMGs in the past.

It’s very weird to me though that so many of these programs have IMGs application criteria, and have confirmed through email that they do actually accept IMGs, however when I looked at stats, a lot of them have accepted 0 IMGs! Why tell students you so accept them if you already filter them out without even looking at their applications?

It’s very weird to me though that so many of these programs have IMGs application criteria, and have confirmed through email that they do actually accept IMGs, however when I looked at stats, a lot of them have accepted 0 IMGs! Why tell students you so accept them if you already filter them out without even looking at their applications?
It does suck. Unfortunately there's no upside from the program's perspective to tell people to NOT apply, it costs them very little to at least give a cursory glance to an application in case there's something truly outstanding that makes them want to reconsider. But in general, I highly recommend that you take their current class list as more indicative than whatever they say on their website/via email--unless a program has at least a few IMGs in their ranks, I would not bother applying.

why are people so mad about people starting threads lmfao

why are people so mad about people starting threads lmfao

1666753-mtg_threadnecromancer_3198.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah but did OP match.. that's what we wanna know!!!