Only 2 interviews. Help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamcool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very fortunate to be offered only 2 interviews coming up in Janurary. Because I do not have adavantage of having interviews at multiple places I would like appreciate any tips you have so I can make most of my interviews.

THanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be weird
^This and do a practice interview with someone who knows that they're doing. Practice makes perfect, and while it's not great to seem rehearsed, I would rather seem semi-rehearsed than stumble and not know how to answer a common question like why EM, tell me about yourself, future plans, why this program etc.

As for the few interviews bit, I have seen fellow candidates who have acted insecure and mentioned on several occasions that they didn't have many interviews. Don't do that. Remember that the interviewers have no idea how many interviews you've gotten elsewhere. if you are a person who tends to be awkward or uncomfortable in social situations, you may want to skip the preinterview dinner to avoid ^^... being labeled weird.

Try to think about your strengths and weaknesses and how they would specifically fit at each program, and talk about that. For example, I like that you have no separate peds ED, I learn best by seeing something everyday and I also have family in the area and would like to stay, etc.

good luck

Do the best you can and cross your fingers and hope one takes you. You only need one. Also, I agree with doing practice interviews. 3/4 of questions you're asked are predictable (Why do want want EM? Why do you want to go here? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What questions do you have for us? What are you looking for in a program? Etc) and the answers will roll of your tongue more smoothly if you've been forced to answer them before. Good luck.

Last edited:
Be confident, but not cocky. You're just as good on paper as everyone else you're interviewing with. Show them what sets you apart.

on my very first interview, I noticed how long winded some of my prepared answers were (and you could tell by the glazed over look on my interviewers faces). try and keep your answers relatively short and to the point, but expand on things if it seems like they're looking for more