Only 3 months till the next application cycle...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Ohioan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats/History:
MCAT – 30Q - P 10 B 12 V 8
BCPM - 3.62 but 3.9 average last 3 years
3.00 In my MBA program
3.80 in the sciences
Overall - 3.57
Major- Biomedical Sciences-3yrs Electrical Engineering-1yr
Ohio Citizen
ECs –
Intramural Soccer
Big Brother/Big Sister
ER volunteer
EMT Basic Licensing
Chemical Research on Surfactants
Taught Inner city kids how to do research
Tech in the ER
Muscular Dystrophy Camp counselor
Independent Study on Inner city health topics
Deans list
Created Labs for Gen Chem
Took Gross Anatomy
School’s Volunteer Ambulance
Summer Research Co-Op on Diesel Fuel

Application went through 9/4, Secondaries finished Nov.

Recs from – Hospital Doc, Head of Department, A close faculty member, Research, TAing, Independent Study, previous 30-year Med school advisor.

:thumbup: Interviews - waiting on a decision post-interview (I 1/14) from WV and Rosalind Franklin (I 2/17)
:smuggrin: Rejected - MC Wisconsin, U Wisconsin, Wake, Maryland, Toledo, Mayo
:confused: Waiting to hear from 6 schools - NEOUCOM, Wright State, Eastern Virginia, Cincinnati, Miami, Ohio State

I am currently enrolled in a one-year MBA program (right after undergrad) with a concentration in management/entrepreneurship. Doing okay, not great, 3.0 GPA. Planned grad GPA of 3.2.

Its frustrating at this point, with so few interviews and so many rejection letters. Also with the new application cycle starting in 3 months I have many questions:
-Is it too late in the game to be getting interviews/acceptances?
-Should I be thinking about reapplying?
-Should I apply for the Masters of Science in Biomedical Science at Toledo (65% get into their med school after)?
-Should I do research at Cleveland State with my year off?
-What should I do to beef up my application in the next three months?
-Will I need new letters of Recommendation?

I know you guys answer a lot of these and may be getting tired of responding to them but I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats aren't bad, but the overall GPA and MCAT are a little below average. I know schools are getting a ton of applications this year, so the average stats are probably a little higher.

Grad gpa doesn't count for much, but a low one may hurt a little bit. Try to finish up as strong as you can.

Some people will disagree with this, but I'd rather see you retake the MCAT then to spend a whole bunch of money on a SMP or something similar. If you spend a good 2-3 months focusing on the test, I'd bet you could get a 33+. Try to get a verbal of at least 10.
Having a higher MCAT would do as much or more to help your app as any SMP.

It seems that the weakest aspect of your application this cycle is that you weren't complete at your schools until November. This is very late.

I would guess that if you got your primary in this time in June and secondaries done in July you will have much better luck. Even without an MCAT re-take. (This was certainly the case for me this cycle vs. last).

I would contact a few of your state schools and ask them if they would be willing to give you feedback about what else you can improve... (as well as the two schools you interviewed at this cycle if the end result turns out to not be positive).

:luck::luck:--hope the two interviews you got this cycle result in something positive for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hopin you guys wouldn't say retake the MCAT. I HATE that test! But I guess I better do work.
I also agree about the applying late issue. My school never informed me of when applications opened and I was too ignorant to check.
What do you guys think about the extracurriculars for reapplication? Should I get some new ones in the next three months?

I also feel that the schools that I applied to had too high of an average MCAT. 85% were 30 or above.

I didn't notice the late application timing the first time I looked.

Average to slightly below average stats plus a late application doesn't usually work out.

You could try just applying again early, but if I was in your position I would do whatever I could to get in this time. About the only thing you can improve in time for this coming cycle is the MCAT. I'd only recommend a retake if you put in serious study time and score 32-33+ on multiple practice exams. :luck:

Hello,

I am a California resident thus getting into a medical school is MUCH more competitive for me (because of large number of instate applicants).
My stats:
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 28 (crashed and burned here!)

I already applied last year although my application went in at the end of Sept.. I do not think that I will be getting any acceptances this year.
However, I am confused as to what to do now. Should I perhaps look into an SMP or should I just apply again EARLY this year?
Also, should I retake the MCAT?

Any advice will be Greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..:)

Hello,

I am a California resident thus getting into a medical school is MUCH more competitive for me (because of large number of instate applicants).
My stats:
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 28 (crashed and burned here!)

I already applied last year although my application went in at the end of Sept.. I do not think that I will be getting any acceptances this year.
However, I am confused as to what to do now. Should I perhaps look into an SMP or should I just apply again EARLY this year?
Also, should I retake the MCAT?

Any advice will be Greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..:)

That MCAT will make it tough in CA. I'd retake it. That will help more than a SMP for someone with your stats.

I was hopin you guys wouldn't say retake the MCAT. I HATE that test! But I guess I better do work.
I also agree about the applying late issue. My school never informed me of when applications opened and I was too ignorant to check.
What do you guys think about the extracurriculars for reapplication? Should I get some new ones in the next three months?

I also feel that the schools that I applied to had too high of an average MCAT. 85% were 30 or above.

Wow, I didn't realize Ohio schools were that competitive. You're numbers are similar to mine (my overall GPA and BMCP are also in the 3.5-3.6 range) and I'm also an Ohio resident and an engineering major. I will take my MCATs soon and hope to apply for 2010.

I'm surprised that you didn't have any better luck with all the Ohio schools that you applied to. I looked through the MSAR and it looks to me that your grades and overall MCAT would make you a competitive candidate (at least get you interviewed) for Toledo, Wright State, and NEUCOM...

Your ECs are also more than adequate. I can't help but think that maybe you wrote a bad personal essay or had a bad recommendation letter from someone if you're getting rejected and waitlisted - a weakness on those things or bad interviewing skills can make it extremely hard to pin-point why an application such as yours can fail.

I really wish you the best at the schools that already interviewed you. If god forbids that you have to reapply again, maybe you should try to find someone to read and offer suggestions on your essay. Also, if your school has a premedical committee, maybe you can ask them to do several mock interviews and try to improve those skills. Good luck with classes and don't let the process stress you out too much.

You still have a good chance this cycle!!!

But hope for the best and plan for the worst.... Good luck!

How/why did you only get a 3.0 in a 1 year MBA? The most recent course work is a huge sign of a students focus, etc....

For Ohioan...do not throw in the towel yet for this year. I would try very hard to get an acceptance from one of the two schools where you interviewed already. Write a letter to one of them telling them it's your first choice, and why you want to go there, and would be a good fit. Consider getting one of your LOR writers to call up their adcom, if you have a relationship such that you are comfortable asking.

If you don't get in this year, I would say you need to get in some more clinical volunteer work (i.e. in a hospital or clinic). Also, I think a higher MCAT score, particularly the verbal, would help you. Only you know if you are likely to be able to raise your score...if the 30 was your first attempt, I'd say study really hard for a few months and try retaking it. You may not have time to study while doing an MBA though...might need to retake next summer.

for the Californian, it seems that a higher MCAT score would go a long way.

Thank you guys for all the advice and support. As much as I don't want to retake the MCAT, I'm at least going to start studying for it (although its been 2 years since I last took it) along with applying earlier this time and working on applying to Toledo's SMP program. I will also apply to lower tier schools.

I don't understand why I wasn't interviewed at NEOUCOM or Wright or Toledo. My grades and everything else I felt were good enough at least for those schools.

In regard to the comment about my MBA program, it was hard to juggle all the application essays, 40 hour work week and a masters program. Plus I found out business isn't for me. However I am pulling up my grades.

If there is any more advice you guys have about extra curriculars, it would be much appreciated. I was thinking mine might be too generic....