Only able to secure 1 gas LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aka_tigerj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have 1 GAS LOR & 2 IM LOR...

All are from my home program. I decided late to apply to gas because I enjoyed my rotation...

Do most schools require 2 GAS letters?

Members don't see this ad.

That is 1 anesthesia letter more than needed.

It's still August.... does your home institution only write one, aggregate letter? I remember submitting a few of mine days to weeks after my ERAS itself was sent off.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is 1 anesthesia letter more than needed.
I'm pretty sure most programs require 1 anesthesia letter....

It's still August.... does your home institution only write one, aggregate letter? I remember submitting a few of mine days to weeks after my ERAS itself was sent off.
You mean like an 'anesthesia chair' letter?

I'd definitely have a letter from your anesthesiology program director (or at least a composite letter including him/her) - some of my colleagues were asked why they didn't have PD letters.

I'm pretty sure most programs require 1 anesthesia letter....

You mean like an 'anesthesia chair' letter?

I dunno---most everyone doesn't do away rotations in anesthesia and still gets multiple letters---I agree with other posters I don't think it's especially critical that the letters come from anesthesia faculty, rather faculty who can attest to your capacity to learn and work ethic. However, it's probably nice if they come from anesthesia folks.

So unless the program you are at only does a joint letter (which in this case might be a chair letter) why not get multiple ones? Especially with the application deadline still a month away?

Forgot to say, but the gas lor is from a private practice dr in a community hospital because that's where my antes rotation was...

If they have a big name or are known by whoever is reviewing your app then its good. Where did that doc train? If people remember him from wherever he was and liked him then thats a good thing for you.